Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 39025 times)

J-S-Q

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
I've got the HB010 and I'd agree they're not that stiff. The bar tops/hoods are ok but certainly in the drops they're a bit flexy. For me personally they're fine and I would very happily buy them again (actually that lack of super stiffness means they soak up lots of road vibration). However, if you're the sort of person who's doing hard sprints out of the saddle with the drops, you might be concerned about this lack of stiffness.

hazzer19

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2022, 10:56:47 AM »
I've got the HB010 and I'd agree they're not that stiff. The bar tops/hoods are ok but certainly in the drops they're a bit flexy. For me personally they're fine and I would very happily buy them again (actually that lack of super stiffness means they soak up lots of road vibration). However, if you're the sort of person who's doing hard sprints out of the saddle with the drops, you might be concerned about this lack of stiffness.

Thanks for the comments Ogi22 and J-S-Q. I have the original HB010 with the wedge fastening system not the two bolt one, and have a HB011 I will be switching to so wanted to hear some feedback in advance. Will report back!

J-S-Q

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments Ogi22 and J-S-Q. I have the original HB010 with the wedge fastening system not the two bolt one, and have a HB011 I will be switching to so wanted to hear some feedback in advance. Will report back!

FYI, my HB010 has the two bolt setup although I doubt that's particularly relevant to the stiffness.

tbgallant

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »
Hey all, I'm considering the 099 but currently have a gravel bike.  40c tires are likely all that is needed for the 'worst' gravel around here.  Does anybody think 650b with 40c will fit this frame?  Anybody tried?

Snacks

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2022, 01:06:32 PM »
Hey all, I'm considering the 099 but currently have a gravel bike.  40c tires are likely all that is needed for the 'worst' gravel around here.  Does anybody think 650b with 40c will fit this frame?  Anybody tried?

yea i tried out my buddies 650b wheels with 45c tires on my frame once and they fit just fine

tbgallant

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2022, 05:44:25 AM »
Great, thanks!  Snacks, after having had the bike for a year can you sum up your thoughts/review?  Pros/cons?

Cheers

Tim

hazzer19

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2022, 10:29:54 AM »
yea i tried out my buddies 650b wheels with 45c tires on my frame once and they fit just fine

wow 45c/650b on a 099? I would not have expected that to work. Sounds fun!

Snacks

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2022, 01:00:12 PM »
Great, thanks!  Snacks, after having had the bike for a year can you sum up your thoughts/review?  Pros/cons?

Cheers

Tim

No problem! Overall, I’m very happy with the bike. It does what I need it to and I feel like I’m going a ton faster than I was on my previous bike. Haven’t really had any issues with the frame. If I had to nitpick id purchase another headset , expander plug and handlebar. Expander plug doesn’t hold the greatest but works well enough to establish preload on the bearings. The headset provided works but isn’t the greatest , I’ve already replaced mine. The handlebar does flex a bit but it fits me very well and the flex hasn’t been an issue. Cable routing through the handlebar is actually pretty terrible. You need a internal routine kit like the park tool one. Some of the cheaper kits didn’t work for me. I think somewhere in this thread I have a link to a cheaper alternative from eBay that I’ve been using. So I think if I had the choice to forgo the handlebar and purchase mine own, I would. I was toying with the FSA Acr stem and some random aliexoress carbon bars that had internal cable routing but decided to stick with what I had since it fit so well. I also purchased an extra seat post since i think it’s proprietary and didn’t want to ever have an issue with that. Im not sure what else I can say about the frame as a the rest of my experience will differ from yours based on component, wheel, tire ..etc selection. But I can say given the opportunity to re-do my purchase, id purchase this frame again in a heatbeat.

wow 45c/650b on a 099? I would not have expected that to work. Sounds fun!

Yea it definitely was fun! But I didn’t want all the rocks and such chipping away and ruining the finish on my 099 so I got a dedicated gravel bike, velobuild gf01. I gave that a custom paint job with 2k clear to protect it and it’s been awesome. That’s running on 700c 45 tires . Thinking about it I should probably start a thread on it too

hazzer19

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2022, 05:19:20 PM »

Yea it definitely was fun! But I didn’t want all the rocks and such chipping away and ruining the finish on my 099 so I got a dedicated gravel bike, velobuild gf01. I gave that a custom paint job with 2k clear to protect it and it’s been awesome. That’s running on 700c 45 tires . Thinking about it I should probably start a thread on it too

Nice! Please do. I have a GF001 as well that I have been super happy with and got me into VB. I've just recently switched from 38c to 43c with fenders and it works great.

Ogi22

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2022, 11:35:13 AM »
Hello, anyone find a rubber cover for seat post and fits perfect?

Irideslowly

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
I am looking to replace the handlebars on my bike. I would like to keep the fully integrated look.

I was thinking of buying the Prime Doyenne Aero Handlebar : https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/prime-doyenne-aero-handlebar/rp-prod187394

and either

the velobuild separate stem used for internal routing

or the deda superb stem : https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/22242

would they both work?

Snacks

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »
Hello, anyone find a rubber cover for seat post and fits perfect?

Not sure how well it fits but some people were using the one for the SL7

Ogi22

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2022, 02:16:55 PM »

J-S-Q

RDY

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2022, 10:21:42 AM »
I've been told that the cost to open a mould for a zero setback seatpost for the 099 is $500 (assume the same for 168).  They don't want to front it. 

Any interest from owners or potential buyers? I'd put $50 down.  Only 9 others needed to cover cost of mould.