Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 39591 times)

Gigelz

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2022, 03:07:39 AM »
Zero setback post.  Shortly to be shipped out with my frame.
How we can get one ? :) I supported the mould with money.

RDY

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »
Chris should tell me when they're ready. Mine isn't shipped yet.  They haven't been coated  yet - pic was raw. 

Gigelz

« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2022, 07:04:27 AM »
Chris should tell me when they're ready. Mine isn't shipped yet.  They haven't been coated  yet - pic was raw.

planet_sammy

« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2022, 08:02:11 AM »
Hi everyone,
joined this forum end of 2021 when I was looking for information on velobuild. After reading through this forum and checking with Chris I decided to order a VB-R-099. The build is completed in the meantime and waiting for spring to arrive so I can take the bike on the road. Reason I chose the VB-R-099 were integrated cable routing and available frame size option 58. I am 1.95 m tall with 96 cm in seam length, typically ride a 86 cm saddle to bottom bracket length and something like 10 to 13 cm saddle to stem drop.

Wanted to share my bike and a few experiences, with my theme being inspired by Chinertown I decided to use a Sensah Empire Pro shifting set, a Juin Tech F1 brake and 50mm deep Elite wheels. I also opted for the separated bar and stem combo since I was not sure regarding the integrated bar shape and I wanted the freedom to swap either stem or bar. This has been noted before in the forum, I ordered a 120mm stem but when I measure what I received it is more a 125mm or even a 130mm the way we measure stems here in Germany.

With all mechanical shifting and brake I struggled quite a bit with the internal cable routing. Tried to use compressionless cable housing first, but struggled big time to route the housing, especially from the bar into the stem and run cables through it. Swapped the compressionless KEB-SL housing with standard Shimano brake housing, which was easier to be routed through the bar and the stem into the frame. When installing cables into the housing it worked, but operation was not perfectly smooth. Therefore I decided to swap the velobuild spacers with a common set you can buy from Aliexpress. You will either have to cut the bottom spacer or fill it with epoxy so it becomes a plain surface that can sit flush with the ¾ ring of the top headset bearing. I also cut out the top spacer so I could run the cables from underneath the steam into the spacer. I understand this is not a perfect internal cable routing, but it eases setup and enables cable routing and smooth operation of brakes and shifting and I am satisifed with the result.

I am attaching a few pictures of the build and the cable routing. Since my camera is struggling with the different shades of red I am also posting the custom paint link on the velobuild homepage.
http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-099-custom-paint-aero-road-carbon-bike-frame-red-fading-glossy-paint

A final comment: I found it strange, that the front axle is fixed from the drive train side rather than from the non-drive train side. Also, the 130mm axle that was shipped with the frame was a bit long and stood out quite significant on the brake side. I ordered a shorter set from Aliexpress which leaves less excess thread being visible once the front wheel is fastened with the axle.

Oh, almost forgot: tried to fit a Specialized seatpost cover because I read in this forum people have successfully done that. Can anybody confirm? My VB-R-099 seatpost is shaped thicker at the front and smaller at the tail, Specialized seatposts seem to be the other way round hence the cover would not fit a VB-R-099?

Does the front derailleur adjustment work without problems for the Senah Empire groupset (the new one with aluminium alloy)?

The cables on the VB-R-099 model are routed internally, so using a cable adjuster is not possible, is it?

RDY

« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2022, 08:10:40 AM »
Can someone tell me what the seatpost clamp bolt and bottle bolt specs are for the 099?

Ordering Ti replacements and don't have the frame yet.

RDY

« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2022, 11:14:03 AM »
Can someone tell me what the seatpost clamp bolt and bottle bolt specs are for the 099?

Ordering Ti replacements and don't have the frame yet.

Also intending to run 60mm of spacers below the stem.  More than VB's recommended 40mm.  I guess best option is to use Colnago's 100mm expander in this case to be safe?  Anything I should be aware of?

Velovelo

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2022, 07:26:50 PM »
Also intending to run 60mm of spacers below the stem.  More than VB's recommended 40mm.  I guess best option is to use Colnago's 100mm expander in this case to be safe?  Anything I should be aware of?

Did you order the extra spacers from VB? How much did they cost?
I think 60mm spacers should be fine. I have seen Giant Propels and Orbeas come from the factory with about similar or more spacers so the rider can adjust stack based on their own bike fit.

Hope the image for 099 clamp specs attached are useful.
I'll be changing my clamp bolt also.

The bottle cage bolts are the generic once. The cap of the bolt will depend on the design/space around your bottle cage screw holes.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 08:05:57 PM by Velovelo »

bichler.bua

« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2022, 12:58:37 AM »
Does the front derailleur adjustment work without problems for the Senah Empire groupset (the new one with aluminium alloy)?

The cables on the VB-R-099 model are routed internally, so using a cable adjuster is not possible, is it?

I did not use a cable adjuster and was able to setup the Sensah front derailleur just fine.
Even though I could have added a cable adjuster, since I am running the housing from underneath the bar, through the spacers into the headtube.
Somewhere in this setup there would have been space for a cable adjuster, but anyway: did not need it for setting up the front derailleur.

planet_sammy

« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2022, 06:13:23 AM »
I did not use a cable adjuster and was able to setup the Sensah front derailleur just fine.
Even though I could have added a cable adjuster, since I am running the housing from underneath the bar, through the spacers into the headtube.
Somewhere in this setup there would have been space for a cable adjuster, but anyway: did not need it for setting up the front derailleur.

Thanks for the info, I'm planning a setup with the VB-R-168 model with separate stem and handlebars. The cables should be routed completely internally, if necessary I install a current Shimano R7000 or R800 front derailleur.

RDY

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2022, 09:28:13 AM »
Got a tracking # today and UPS have received my frame.  So I assume the zero offsets are now available to order.  For those who supported the mold costs, remember to give Chris your name for the lower price to be honored. 

FHS

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2022, 12:10:12 PM »
Did you order the extra spacers from VB? How much did they cost?
I think 60mm spacers should be fine. I have seen Giant Propels and Orbeas come from the factory with about similar or more spacers so the rider can adjust stack based on their own bike fit.

Just as an FYI, the Giant Propel with carbon steerers are OD2 1 1/4 inch diameter and use a longer expander than the stumpy ones that usually come stock with Chinese frames. If steerers are OD1, they are 1 1/8 but made of aluminum.

RDY

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2022, 02:11:32 PM »
Just as an FYI, the Giant Propel with carbon steerers are OD2 1 1/4 inch diameter and use a longer expander than the stumpy ones that usually come stock with Chinese frames. If steerers are OD1, they are 1 1/8 but made of aluminum.

I'm gonna use a 100mm expander to be safe.  Also Giant OD1 on road bikes have been carbon for ages.

The one thing I really dislike about Giant road / gravel is OD1 (zero options for internal routing) and OD2 (one option which is very difficult and constraining) due to the tiny diameter of the bearing seats. 

I was told there'd be a new system for the new Propel, which would then filter into the TCR and others. Really hope the outer diameter is at least 52mm.

If not for the OD issues, my Revolt would be a forever bike - or until-I-break-it bike.

FHS

« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »
I honestly don't know much about OD1 steerers on other Giant road bikes. I did crack the front forks on my 2020 Propel Advanced Pro and had to find a replacement set. In searching, I never saw a set of forks with an OD1 steerer on a pre 2018 Propel with in anything but aluminum. <shrug> Yeah, OD2 is kind of a pain, but only if you're looking to switch out components. I actually really like the look and the internal routing system on the 2018+ Propel, the bearings only have to operate through like 45 degrees from center at the most, so I don't feel the need to modify the stock set up. The frame came with every thing I needed and more. I absolutely hate the external routing on the TCR. It's a great frame, but until they clean up the looks...

Anyway, yeah, be careful with too many spacers on the 099. ;)

RDY

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »
I'm shocked they still had alu steerers that late.   To my knowledge none of the carbon OD1 frames have  alu steerers now.  The problem with the OD2 solution is that if Giant's solution doesn't suit you, you don't have an alternative.

I think 60mm of spacers on the 099 is a lot safer with a quality 100mm expander and decent headset than 30mm with the stock plug and headset ... play, poor compression and short expanders aren't a great combo. 

Velovelo

« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2022, 04:43:39 AM »
The Dolan Ares is a 099 frame with a different fork and seat post + UCI certification. Interesting how the bike industry works :)

-Edited-
Looks more identical to the Workswell WCB-R-268.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 04:20:06 PM by Velovelo »