Author Topic: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame  (Read 84393 times)

endo.alley

Re: FM1001 / FM1156 - 135mm frame
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »
How are people liking this bike?

ASB77

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2021, 09:38:02 AM »
I'm really interested in an FM1001, it seems that lots of people have experience of this frame and I've a couple of questions before I buy...

- What type of headset is needed?
- The spec says the derailleur hanger is universal. Is that the new universal hanger spec, or a carbonda universal hanger?
- How much rear tyre clearance is there? (I often ride in mud!)
- Is the pivot hardware good? Anything required to improve?

Any other build tips??

Thanks

I can sorta poorly answer a couple of your questions-
I ordered my frame a few weeks ago, it is expected to ship at the end of Sep, so I can't look at it for you but as far as the headset and derailleur hanger go, they can both be provided by Carbonda.  The headset was $15 and a spare hanger was $5. I figure if the headset is good I will run it and if not I can at least use it for measurements and comparison.  Not that you asked but Carbonda was a joy to deal with.  I emailed back and forth with Katie, sometimes I would get a response the same day, sometimes the next morning, and aside from some translation issues she seemed to actually read and respond appropriately to questions.  Hope some of this helps.

Jorgebiker

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2021, 09:24:20 PM »
I'm on my third day of using my fm1001 on the trail. I'm gonna go ahead and say this frame is way better than I was expecting! It's very high quality at first glance, it built really easily, threads are great, alignment is spot on, hardware seems to be of very good quality. Once built I went through every pivot bolt to torque spec, greased everything the way it should and went ahead and used Mastic tape everywhere the chain touches.

Headset is kinda weird, I honestly would've liked a more standard type, with the 1-1/8 on top and not 1.5", as headsets are super limited...but the one carbonda sold me is ok.

Cable routing was a pain (my mechanics words), but turned out super tidy. Nothing rattles which is a huge plus.
Bottom bracket threaded well, and I'm not using the ISCG mounts so I can't comment on alignment. 

I'm using my bike as a mullet as of right now, and at first it felt weird as I had never used 29" wheels before. But I felt great yesterday, more in control. The Auron fork is amazing. I'm really impressed with suntour products.

The rear suspension is so smooth and plush if set up correctly. Feels super fast compared to my older 150mm ibis mojo hd3. Feels really stiff laterally. I just need to install another token in the shock.

Shimano XT 12 speed is just amazing.

bossman302

« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
I'm on my third day of using my fm1001 on the trail. I'm gonna go ahead and say this frame is way better than I was expecting! It's very high quality at first glance, it built really easily, threads are great, alignment is spot on, hardware seems to be of very good quality. Once built I went through every pivot bolt to torque spec, greased everything the way it should and went ahead and used Mastic tape everywhere the chain touches.

Headset is kinda weird, I honestly would've liked a more standard type, with the 1-1/8 on top and not 1.5", as headsets are super limited...but the one carbonda sold me is ok.

Cable routing was a pain (my mechanics words), but turned out super tidy. Nothing rattles which is a huge plus.
Bottom bracket threaded well, and I'm not using the ISCG mounts so I can't comment on alignment. 

I'm using my bike as a mullet as of right now, and at first it felt weird as I had never used 29" wheels before. But I felt great yesterday, more in control. The Auron fork is amazing. I'm really impressed with suntour products.

The rear suspension is so smooth and plush if set up correctly. Feels super fast compared to my older 150mm ibis mojo hd3. Feels really stiff laterally. I just need to install another token in the shock.

Bike looks great! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. What fork offset you are running? I asked Wing what offset the frame was built for and was told 51mm.

For those you have this frame, whos using 44mm vs 51mm?

Neb

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2021, 03:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the info, that's really great to hear it rides well. I must admit that I've already looked at a mullet setup, lowering the bottom bracket seems possible as it's a little higher than other bikes of a similar type (eg transition spur has a -40mm BB drop)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the sizing of the frame? I'm 180cm tall and thinking a large is the obvious size, however the 601mm top tube seems really short! My current bike has a 480 reach and a 640mm top tube. 40mm difference seems like a lot!

bossman302

« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, that's really great to hear it rides well. I must admit that I've already looked at a mullet setup, lowering the bottom bracket seems possible as it's a little higher than other bikes of a similar type (eg transition spur has a -40mm BB drop)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the sizing of the frame? I'm 180cm tall and thinking a large is the obvious size, however the 601mm top tube seems really short! My current bike has a 480 reach and a 640mm top tube. 40mm difference seems like a lot!

Hey Neb, sizing seems to be one of those questions that gets many different answers. I don't think anyone can really say what is right size for you other than you. I did find some resources that did help me decided on the size that should work for me so hopefully this may help you find the right size for you

https://www.leelikesbikes.com/rad-bike-setup.html

youtube.com/watch?v=HyppZOpHocM&list=WL&index=2&t=2s

youtube.com/watch?v=rHagRovHSYs&list=WL&index=1&t=472s

youtube.com/watch?v=5pn6Mnl4AAw&list=WL&index=3
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 01:08:31 PM by bossman302 »

Jorgebiker

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2021, 12:20:19 AM »
I am still debating as to what size wheel to use. I will try 29er using one my dads rear 29er wheel and decide what I like most. Size wise, I think my medium could be a liiiiiittle bit longer, but I'm not complaining at all. I come from an older ibis Large hd3, and feels similarly long..but this has waay more standover clearance and is much snappier and playful. I am really loving my bike right now.

Freda

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2021, 05:04:28 AM »

- How much rear tyre clearance is there? (I often ride in mud!)

Well with 27.5” wheel and 2.6” rocket ron on 30mm id rim this is what it looks like. Plenty of clearance! Seems with 29” wheel side clearance would be similar.

Neb

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »
Well with 27.5” wheel and 2.6” rocket ron on 30mm id rim this is what it looks like. Plenty of clearance! Seems with 29” wheel side clearance would be similar.

Thanks for that. I only tend to use 2.3/2.4 so it looks like there is plenty of clearance.

I do like the idea of trying it in mullet mode to see what it rides like

Neb

« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2021, 12:01:55 AM »
I asked wing about the difference in the shipping options, I received the following as a reply

"3-10 day is DHL or fedex ,You have to pay import duty, but you can choose the value of customs declaration.
15-35 day ,tax free is WXY , WXY will advance the tax, and when it arrives in the your country , it will be sent to you directly by DPD."

Am I right in saying WXY will complete tax and import duties (included in the cost of shipping) and send the frame to me from within UK using a last mile courier (dpd), DHL option will obviously be quicker, but I'd be liable for tax and customs declarations into the UK, which would potentially add 25-30% to the cost?

Any experiences of WXY?

Thanks

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2021, 12:45:39 PM »

good build, what is the weight?

Jorgebiker

« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
I actually haven't weighed it yet lol. But it feels light and nimble.

golddigger142

« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
I ordered three frames, one S (for wife, 5’4”), one M (for 14 year old son, 5’5” and growing), one L for me (I’m 6’0”).  One of the bikes (the S) is built and ridden on. Son has been riding it for MTB practice and races.  He loves it. The M and L will be done being built by end of this week. Here’s a photo of the S.  I will respond with my thoughts once I can throw a leg over the L.  Frames look sick!!  I can also post build components if anyone is interested. Just holler.

bossman302

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2021, 03:42:51 PM »
I ordered three frames, one S (for wife, 5’4”), one M (for 14 year old son, 5’5” and growing), one L for me (I’m 6’0”).  One of the bikes (the S) is built and ridden on. Son has been riding it for MTB practice and races.  He loves it. The M and L will be done being built by end of this week. Here’s a photo of the S.  I will respond with my thoughts once I can throw a leg over the L.  Frames look sick!!  I can also post build components if anyone is interested. Just holler.

Love the color! I got my frame yesterday. Really happy with the frame and I agree that it does look pretty sick. So far I only have a rear shock and the fork will be here today.

Yes, please post a build list. One thing I'm curious about is what shock mounting hardware you went with? I measured my frame at 29.5mm x8mm. I read a few pages it should use a 30mmx8mm

golddigger142

« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2021, 11:23:31 PM »
Love the color! I got my frame yesterday. Really happy with the frame and I agree that it does look pretty sick. So far I only have a rear shock and the fork will be here today.

Yes, please post a build list. One thing I'm curious about is what shock mounting hardware you went with? I measured my frame at 29.5mm x8mm. I read a few pages it should use a 30mmx8mm

Mounting hardware was 30mm x 8mm, purchased from bouncecycles on eBay (located in UK).  I also bought the DU Bush Tool (LBS said that tool was necessary to install).

Build lists:

Size L (teal) - rider 6'0"
Shimano SLX 10-51 cassette
Shimano XTR chain
Shimano SLX 32T chainring
Sram GX AXS shifter 12-speed and rear derailleur (LOVE IT!!)
Shimano XT 4-piston brakes
Shimano XT rotors (203mm front; 180mm rear)
DIYCarbon Bikes wheelset (29er boost spacing front and rear, DT Swiss 350 hubs, 37mm external/31mm internal carbon rim)
Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Maxx Grip 2.5 29er front; DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 29er rear
OneUp 180mm dropper post
Wolftooth light action dropper lever
Fox 34 Factory 140mm, 51mm offset (Carbonda says do 51mm offset)
Fox Factory DPX2 185mm * 55mm trunnion (135mm travel)
RaceFace Next R 800mm carbon handlebar, 35mm diameter, 10mm rise
RaceFace Turbine R stem 50mm x 35mm
Ergon SM Pro Men's saddle

Size M (black) - rider 5'5" and growing
Shimano SLX 10-51 cassette
Shimano XTR chain
Shimano SLX 32T chainring
Shimano XT shifter 12-speed
Shimano XT derailleur 12-speed
Shimano XT 4-piston brakes
Shimano XT rotors (203mm front; 180mm rear)
DIYCarbon Bikes wheelset (29er boost spacing front and rear, Kooza hubs, 37mm external/31mm internal carbon rim)
Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Maxx Grip 2.5 29er front; DHR II EXO Maxx Terra 2.4 29er rear
OneUp 150mm dropper post
Wolftooth light action dropper lever
Rock Shox Pike Select 140mm, 51mm offset (Carbonda says do 51mm offset)
Rock Shox Deluxe 185mm * 55mm trunnion (135mm travel)
RaceFace Aeffect R 780mm handlebar, 35mm diameter, 20mm rise
Mondraker onoff KR stem 30mm x 35mm
Selle Italia Boost EVO Superflow saddle

I got the chainstay protector from Santa Cruz ($10 + shipping) and had it cut to fit the chainstay.

Did a few miles this evening, bike feels great.