Author Topic: FM1002 / FM1166 - 150mm frame  (Read 49477 times)

Shredder

Re: FM1002 / FM1166 - 150mm frame
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2021, 02:20:55 PM »
On the lower trunnion shock mount, are there bearings or bushings there? The bolts look similar to other pivot points that contain bearings so I'm curious. The shock shouldn't move much in relation to the frame at the bottom mount, but will move some so I'm hoping they have done something to accommodate the movement.

I want to buy this frame as I'm in need of one, but I'm a bit skittish as the owner of an unrideable AM831...

Yeah it contains bearings I took a pic, I've no idea if they have done anything to accommodate that, any ideas on how to check?

1002 owners, have you been happy with your shock tunes? Many of you have DPX2s or Super Deluxes fitted that I’d assume are the stock aftermarket Medium tune….

If I go with a 1002 frame I want to get the suspension right on the first try, so I’m hoping to benefit from the experience of those who’ve already tested this on the trails. Any info related to shock tuning on the 1002 would be much appeciated!

I just put the rebound in the middle and the sag on around 25%, I don't really know what im doing and don't really feel the difference :P (for the fork I just used rockshox's site - https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/)

Yeah agreed. There just is not enough good feedback on the completed bikes for many of these frames. If the chainstays and seatstays on these bikes are under engineered and flexy, going to a Horst link configuration connected to a vertical pivot link isn't necessarily going to fix it.

If you want you can tellk me how to test these things and I will

endo.alley

« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2021, 03:41:14 PM »
I guess what I would do is, on a completed bike, try grabbing the tire and rim from the top and flex them back and forth. Then  do the same on a hard tail. Compare the side to side flex between the two. Maybe also compare the side to side flex with another suspension bike that you consider to have acceptable rear rigidness. This isnt the least bit scientific. But it will give you a good subjective comparison.

Adilka

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2021, 12:05:51 AM »
I just order one of these for my partner. Pretty excited to see how it goes.

@Adilka what shock hardware did you have to buy? All I was told is 30 x 8mm which I assume is just the bushings for the non trunnion end. Did you need to buy any bolts?

I bought this one: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-30.html

Yes, You need only 30*8mm

Sorry for late reply!

Happy new year to all!

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
I bought this one: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-30.html

Yes, You need only 30*8mm

Sorry for late reply!

Happy new year to all!

I got the same kit just yesterday, for my frame that hasn’t shipped yet. With the 1002’s upside down shock, I figure this ought to make a significant difference in plushness versus a bushing.

My plan has always been to build this bike gradually over the course of the winter so I can ride it in April when our trails start to dry out, but now that I’ve ordered the frame I find myself very impatient to find out exactly how everything works in the real world instead of having to imagine and guess.

ESC

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2022, 04:25:26 AM »
For anyone following along at home, the frame arrived just before Xmas (3wks postage to Australia). The finished quality of the frame and paint job is great. Paint near the bearing is generally good, only looks like one spot where the paint might flake off, time will tell. The only thing I don’t like is the top cover for the headset but you can’t really complain for $15. Overall I’m quite impressed with the whole experience.

I can’t comment on how the bike actually rides but my partner seems to like it. I’ll try take it out for a spin and offer some feedback in the future.

I’ll take some more photos when the dropper post arrives.

emu26

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2022, 05:14:37 AM »
For anyone following along at home, the frame arrived just before Xmas (3wks postage to Australia). The finished quality of the frame and paint job is great. Paint near the bearing is generally good, only looks like one spot where the paint might flake off, time will tell. The only thing I don’t like is the top cover for the headset but you can’t really complain for $15. Overall I’m quite impressed with the whole experience.

I can’t comment on how the bike actually rides but my partner seems to like it. I’ll try take it out for a spin and offer some feedback in the future.

I know we are "down under" but that bike really is gravity defying.  ;)

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:32 AM »

Nice to see someone running one with a Topaz! I’ll be able to offer some tuning tips once I’ve got my initial mixed wheel build done (March, probably). I already run DVO on my current bike and am really happy with the performance.

ESC

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:52 PM »
I know we are "down under" but that bike really is gravity defying.  ;)

Haha yeah not sure why that happened.

Massey

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2022, 06:26:16 AM »
Nice to see someone running one with a Topaz! I’ll be able to offer some tuning tips once I’ve got my initial mixed wheel build done (March, probably). I already run DVO on my current bike and am really happy with the performance.

I will be running Dvo Onyx and Topaz on my mixed wheel build! Will be good to have some to talk to about setups with, never been on Dvo rear shock before but love my Onyx.

My frame has arrived in the UK yesterday according to the tracking so build should be done early feb once I get seat post and bb ordered.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 01:03:12 PM »
I will be running Dvo Onyx and Topaz on my mixed wheel build! Will be good to have some to talk to about setups with, never been on Dvo rear shock before but love my Onyx.

My frame has arrived in the UK yesterday according to the tracking so build should be done early feb once I get seat post and bb ordered.

How long did it take after you ordered for your frame to ship? I ordered on Dec. 29th and am still waiting…

As for suspension, I think you’ll really like a Topaz with this bike. The ability to fine tune the very bottom and very top of the travel via the positive and negative spacers, plus being able to tune damper support (bladder pressure) separately from the air spring should be perfect for a bike with kinematics like this. I’m expecting to put 2-3 spacers in the positive to compensate for the regressive dip after 140mm of travel, and zero in the negative since the rest of the travel is nicely progressive. Bladder pressure should be able to stay low (175-180 I’d guess) since leverage is reasonable and the linkage has good anti-squat.

I’ll definitely be posting updates to those thoughts when I can actually test the bike out, but it’s going to be a slow build process so that might be a couple of months away.

I’m also going to test out over-stroking the frame, as I got a 205x65 Topaz. If 163mm travel is too much and the seat stay bridge hits the seat tube, I have a 2.5mm travel spacer to cut that to 156. Figured folks here will be interested to know how that works out.

Massey

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:24 PM »
How long did it take after you ordered for your frame to ship? I ordered on Dec. 29th and am still waiting…

As for suspension, I think you’ll really like a Topaz with this bike. The ability to fine tune the very bottom and very top of the travel via the positive and negative spacers, plus being able to tune damper support (bladder pressure) separately from the air spring should be perfect for a bike with kinematics like this. I’m expecting to put 2-3 spacers in the positive to compensate for the regressive dip after 140mm of travel, and zero in the negative since the rest of the travel is nicely progressive. Bladder pressure should be able to stay low (175-180 I’d guess) since leverage is reasonable and the linkage has good anti-squat.

I’ll definitely be posting updates to those thoughts when I can actually test the bike out, but it’s going to be a slow build process so that might be a couple of months away.

I’m also going to test out over-stroking the frame, as I got a 205x65 Topaz. If 163mm travel is too much and the seat stay bridge hits the seat tube, I have a 2.5mm travel spacer to cut that to 156. Figured folks here will be interested to know how that works out.

I ordered my frame on the 23rd of Dec and an hour after I sent my previous message the frame tuned up! Mine was shipped with WXY international express.

I originally thought about putting 3 spacers in the negative to begin with so its good you are thinking the same thing, will play about with setting once I get the bike out on the trails. I quickly put my fork, shock and wheels on the bike today and did have a look at to see how close the seat bridge gets the the seat tube when bottomed out as I over stroked my last frame and did think it might be possible on this but I think 65mm will be to much and 62.5mm might be possible but will be close.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:04:05 PM by Massey »

Massey

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2022, 08:32:35 AM »
That’s my frame build up, all went pretty smooth cable routing was a bit of a pain and the top shock bolt doesn’t look the best quality but will keep a close eye on it. Other than that all is good!

Was on Trek Remedy 2021 running mullet so have something good to compare it too.

Spec.

XL frame
Dvo Topaz 205x60
Dvo Onyx 170mm
Bontrager Carbon 29” front wheel
Sram hub on WTB i29 27.5” rear wheel (will match front in future, will keep 27.5)
Maxxis Assegai front
Maxxis DHR 2 rear
Peatys x 50to01 valves
Sram GX 12spd Drivechain
Sram x1 Carbon 32t cranks
DMR Vault
Sram Code R
OneUp dropper post 210mm drop
Bontrager Arvada saddle
Renthal Fatbar 800mm
Raceface Atlas Stem
Ergon GD1 grips
VHS Slapper tape 2.0

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2022, 05:16:31 PM »
Beautiful bike, can't wait to hear your impressions

sim.r

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2022, 01:18:00 AM »
It came out so nice!

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2022, 03:40:15 AM »
That’s pretty much what mine will look like but with blue lowers and different parts, so this is nice to see!