Author Topic: My OG-Evkin CF-052 (FM699) build w/ 60% AliExpress parts  (Read 6500 times)

Schumo

My OG-Evkin CF-052 (FM699) build w/ 60% AliExpress parts
« on: January 07, 2021, 05:27:51 AM »
Hey guys!
I want to show you my OG-Evkin CF-052.
Last year the idea of getting a MTB sparked up, living in an area with lots of nice woods. Checking the used bike market wasn't very satisfying, and neither were the <800€ new bike options. After seeing how cheap carbon hardtail frames are (especially compared to road bike frames) it was obvious to me that I had to build up a MTB myself.
My choice was the OG-Evkin CF-052 frame, because it's quite popular in the german forums.

The goal for the initial build was to keep it around 10kg and below 1000€. My excel spreadsheet came out at 10176g, but that was without the paint, pedals and some small stuff like the headset or cable outers.
Measured on my bathroom scales the bike weighs 10.8kg now, with some very basic pedals.
I also missed the financial goal. I had spend 997€ when I found out that the BB supplied with the crankset was BSA only, and not working with my BB92 frame. After a BB92 and some small parts I'm now at ~1015€.

Now to the specsheet

Frame: OG-Evkin CF-052 in size L + OG-Evkin QR-02 axle
Paint: Mini C15 Jungle Green with some extra gold pearls
BB: Threaded ZTTO BB92
Fork: Rockshox Reba RL A6 110mm w/ Rockshox Maxle (used from Ebay)
Wheelset: "Roval"? Non-Boost 2060g 21mm wide (used from Ebay)
Front tire: Continental CrossKing 2.3 RS
Rear tire: Continental Raceking 2.2 RS
Tubes: Schwalbe SV 19A Extralight
Stem: ZTTO 60mm 7°
Handlebar: ZTTO XM 720mm Aluminium
Grips: Procraft Diamond Pro
Crankset: Fovno Ghost 175mm 36T
Groupset: LTWOO AX12
Cassette: ZTTO 12speed 11-50
Chain: KMC X12
Seatpost: Elita One but it broke on the first ride (Picture), so I ordered a Toseek now, with a better seat clamp
Saddle: SSM Aspide Superleggara AliExpress clone, but that broke on the second ride, probably damaged when the seatpost broke (Picture
 2  3)
Pedals: Some very basic Marwi Union cage pedals (I ordered some En-Lee platform pedals)
Brakes: Shimano Deore BR-M6100
Brake discs: "Avid G3" 160mm from AliExpress
Bottle cages: 16g Carbon ones from AliExpress

Short term upgrades will be a new seat post and pedals, which I've already ordered. I also need a new saddle, but I'm pretty unsure which one to get.

And long term upgrades are:
- Carbon wheelset
- Going tubeless
- Fully integrated carbon handlebar
- And maybe a dropper post

theirishrider

Re: My OG-Evkin CF-052 (FM699) build w/ 60% AliExpress parts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:13:21 AM »
Very nice, amazing photos. Might consider this frame if I need a hardtail and swap my carbon wheels and the east to move parts from my FM936.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »
Beautiful looking hardtail, good photography, and well-presented build thread. Thanks for sharing and contributing, Schumo.

I especially like the seat stays, seat tube, and top tube junction on this frame. Looks stiff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:49:51 PM by Sitar_Ned »

cutembe

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »
Very nice build !
Did u get this paint color from OG-Evkin factory ?
Or u ordered a raw carbon frame without color/logo ?
 8)

Schumo

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

Very nice build !
Did u get this paint color from OG-Evkin factory ?
Or u ordered a raw carbon frame without color/logo ?
 8)

No. From what I heard OG-Evkin doesn't sell it without logos. But even if they would do that, I bought mine from the spanish warehouse, so that probably wouldn't be an option anyways.
I had it painted by a friend.
Seraph/TanTan sells the frame as FM699, and it has no logos. They also sell a painted version, maybe they even can do custom painting.

Schumo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »
Small update:

I changed the rear tire to a Specialized Storm Control 29x2.0 as the Race King doesn't like muddy weather.
The chain got a wax treatment à la OZ Cycle. Still a bit stiff, but that will hopefully be gone after the first ride.
And I got some new pedals from Enlee

Schumo

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »
Time for an update!

The percentage of AliExpress parts is now even higher, but i'm too lazy to calculate it right now.  ;D
I've done around 500km on it now, and I'm still very satisfied with it.

A few days ago I went from the old aluminium wheelset to carbon. I went with Carbonbeam CBZA29XC33SL rims, ZTTO M2 hubs, Pillar 1420 spokes and green Sapim Polyax nipples. The same time I went tubeless on the Contis, Racesports are fun to get airtight.  :P
I changed the grips to some locking ones from AliX, but I think I want something else.
After breaking the Elita One seatpost I got one from Toseek, which also got a crack, this time at the transition from the carbon post to the metal seat clamp. I got fed up and ordered a 150mm OneUp dropper post, and also a Shimano iSpec remote for it. And I got a GUB 1183 with Titanium rails.
I also ordered a AliX remote for the lockout of the fork, but never mounted it. I also removed the clunky Rockshox remote, as I'm almost never using it anyways.
I had to change the  bearings of the ZTTO bottom bracket after just 61km. Seems like they didn't like the muddy winter weather.  :P
The non-drive side crank bolt also had to be changed, but that was my mistake, I wrote something about it in the Fovno-thread.
I also noticed that the Fovno chainring is between Boost and Non-Boost offset, so I went ahead and ordered a Non-Boost chainring. The first one from BDSnail was a defect production which slipped through QC (if there is any haha) and was unusuable, so I went with one from VXM. I went from 36T to 34T because of frame clearance, but I still like the 36T one better.
Last but not least I got a super lightweight headset top cap and some sintered metal brake pads.

Right now it sits at around 10.5 kg, which is okay-ish I guess. I'm still waiting for the OG-Evkin handlebar to be stock in the EU warehouse, which should be good for another 200g. I'm down for other cheap lightweight mods, but I'm not looking to spend big money on lighter forks or cranks.
I also want to get a Shimano shifter with iSpec someday, and I'd love to try the S-Ride M700C rear derailleur, which is unfortunately only sold as a complete groupset.

Zoc

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 03:55:29 AM »
awsome bike and even better photos, impressive
 :) :)

benny1363

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »
I just built the boost version up
Rockford Area Mountain Bikers

Spinyswing

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 01:40:45 AM »
Was this frame is like the specilized epic frame?if not which model or seller they come close to epic?

Schumo

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 04:45:18 AM »
Was this frame is like the specilized epic frame?if not which model or seller they come close to epic?

I just looked it up on Bike Insight, it's really the same as the 2017 Epic Hardtail.

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=5fc0ec4132de960017ad6112,5f2149ff80c7ec0017b7a678,&builds=602bea4b7fd1730017649892,,

Schumo

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 12:50:27 PM »
Took some pictures today.
The OG-Evkin handlebar is also ordered now, along with some new grips. Ordered the handlebar from China, it's back in the spanish warehouse, but shipping is 33€ now.  :o
And I bought a Deore M6100 iSpec shifter for 15€ shipped on Ebay.

daforce84

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 01:22:44 AM »
Nice build! Do you know what paint type and color your friend used? I love that shade of green :-) and are those decals or vinyl stickers?

And great photos of the bike! How did you prop the bike up in the last set of photos?

Schumo

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:25 AM »
Thanks!

It's Mini Jungle Green, Paint Code is C15. We added some gold pigments, but they're only visible in direct sunlight.

This pictures matches the paint real good.

The stickers are cut from vinyl.

If you like that shade of green, VW L94E Oak Green or Renault DNP Vert Olivette might be something for you.

I just used the old stick to the crank bolt trick and removed it while editing the pictures.

chrswbrwn

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »
Hi Schumo,
Your build looks great. I'm interested in getting this frame for my wife, but I haven't gotten any replies from Og-evkin on Aliexpress on both of their stores. Did you get an email contact for them?
Also, it sounds like you weren't able to order the frame without the logos, were the logos easy to remove? If I removed them and didn't want to paint, would the finish look good underneath?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:01:42 AM by chrswbrwn »