Author Topic: Zrace RX - Does it play well with Shimano derailleurs?  (Read 4905 times)

FHS

Zrace RX - Does it play well with Shimano derailleurs?
« on: February 23, 2021, 07:34:19 PM »
Took me awhile to sort out all the issues with my TanTan TT-21 build. All due to my lack of build experience, not anything noteworthy wrong with the frame.

I'm thinking about this next....

https://www.sigeyishop.com/product/zracesigeyi-rx-power-meter-crankset/

Everything I've read about the power meter has been mostly positive, positive enough for my use anyway. Does anybody have any experience with the crankset though? I'd be swapping out my Shimano 105 R7000 crankset and would be happy with performance that is close to the 105 anyway, with regard to stiffnes. I'd also have to switch out my Wheels MFG BB86 threaded pressfit, which I love, for a DUB BB92, which concerns me about compatibility. I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks!

don-wea

Re: Zrace RX - Does it play well with Shimano derailleurs?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
I think you'd be better off purchasing a left-sided Shimano based power meter, that way you don't have to worry about the BB, and you'll have an easier time servicing and/or reselling it. Moreover, you get a reliable Shimano crank, power meter aside. Sigeyi, Xcadey and Magene are said to be accurate and of good value. However it seems that Shimano cranks are in low supply, so you may have to wait a while for them to come back in stock (and back down in price!). This Ultegra PM used to be ~$200 6 months ago, now it's $300! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896718766.html

FHS

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
I think you'd be better off purchasing a left-sided Shimano based power meter, that way you don't have to worry about the BB, and you'll have an easier time servicing and/or reselling it. Moreover, you get a reliable Shimano crank, power meter aside. Sigeyi, Xcadey and Magene are said to be accurate and of good value. However it seems that Shimano cranks are in low supply, so you may have to wait a while for them to come back in stock (and back down in price!). This Ultegra PM used to be ~$200 6 months ago, now it's $300! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32896718766.html

I definitely considered a single-sided, single crank power meter. I'm asking specifically about the Sigeyi+Zrace because it is a dual sided full crankset for not much more than a single crank. But, with getting into the Chinese carbon frame market in the first place, things don't always run smoothly. I know I won't be satisfied with a single-sided PM in the long run, and now that I'm really enjoying riding my bike without a lot of the fuss, I can wait for a either a good deal on a dual-sided, or just save up for one of the more expensive ones. Just trying to figure out how much fuss the Sigeyi + Zrace might add and it it's really a good deal.

Jarne

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Hi,

I think we are literally building almost the same bike!

FHS

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 11:18:34 AM »
Hi,

I think we are literally building almost the same bike!

Seems like a popular choice these days!

What do you think about the powermeter/crankset?

Jarne

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:40:40 AM »
I think the only thing to worry about is the Zrace crankset. But if it was crap sigeyi wouldn't want to co-operate with them because it wouldn't be good for their reputation

FHS

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
Agreed, I'm so ready to pull the trigger, but luckily they are currently out of stock for 50/36 chainsets, giving me some time to try to get some feedback on the Zrace.

theirishrider

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
I'm running my xcadey Edit: sigeyi spider power meter on Shimano XT m8100 cranks with a 1x 104bcd  dekas ring.  I'm only using this setup until my Magene P325 CS arrives. It Works great, fantastic PM. App is good, power reading are as expected, smooth and responsive. I don't think this is what you are looking for but it's a good brand imo. I ordered directly from their website.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:07:10 AM by theirishrider »

FHS

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 09:05:42 AM »
I'm running my xcadey spider power meter on Shimano XT m8100 cranks with a 1x 104bcd  dekas ring.  I'm only using this setup until my Magene P325 CS arrives ( Works great, fantastic PM. App is good, power reading are as expected, smooth and responsive. I don't think this is what you are looking for but it's a good brand imo. I ordered directly from their website.

Thank you for the input! Is that an xcadey, or a Sigeyi? I actually have thought about the Magene full crankset offering as well. At this point, I think I'm backing off the Zrace crankset. I really like their website and they ansewer emails really quickly. They say shipping and delivery will be reasonably fast if they have stock. I just think I'm leaning toward keeping my Shimano 24mm set-up.

Thanks again!

Fred

theirishrider

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
It's a sigeyi! Sorry I made a mistake!

Matt_C

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
There is a great thread on weightweenies regarding the new dual sided Magene PM. The thread compares power readings with other PMs and compares shifting performance aswell. Long story short: dodgy numbers compared to assiomas and smart trainer. Dodgy shifting aswell. For clarity, I personally own a left sided Magene. I wanted this PM to be a big success. I was an early backer of the Kickstarter but pulled out after the GPlama video.

theirishrider

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 12:07:33 PM »
There is a great thread on weightweenies regarding the new dual sided Magene PM. The thread compares power readings with other PMs and compares shifting performance aswell. Long story short: dodgy numbers compared to assiomas and smart trainer. Dodgy shifting aswell. For clarity, I personally own a left sided Magene. I wanted this PM to be a big success. I was an early backer of the Kickstarter but pulled out after the GPlama video.
I've just read it...... pray for me ahahaha To be honest they money i paid for it, I figured that even if I don't like it, I can sell it for at most a modest loss. For sure they won't continue selling them for <300 usd IMO, so I thought it was worth the risk. I'll do a full review here when I recieve it.

Matt_C

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 02:46:56 AM »
They are starting to pop up on Ali for £300 ($400) so you should definitely get your money back at least.

FHS

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
I'm going to bail on this set-up. Seems like Sigeyi keeps releasing firmware updates that introduce more issues than they fix. I'm not keen on switching to DUB in the first place. Looking at the Xcadey spider/crank set-up that is capable of using the 24mm BB86, but the company has been completely unresponsive.

I'm may do the single crank after all, or save my pennies for a major brand spider/crank.

Thanks everybody!

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 01:09:29 AM »
...Seems like Sigeyi keeps releasing firmware updates that introduce more issues than they fix...

Where did you see this?
Didn't have any issue before.
And the update few days ago, didn't bring any issue either.