Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128570 times)

cybrsrce

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:12 AM »
Isn't the hole in the bushings supposed to be approx 12.7mm? And with the bushings removed and just the eyelet, it's a 15mm hole? To go from 12.5 to 12.7 with bushing removed, the bushing would only be 0.1mm thick...

DU bushings are thin.  Some photo for reference.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »
This is out of control. I thought this thread was about the frame, and shipping etc. Wow. Admin?

We're here and hear you. As JJJ said, I think this thread has stayed mostly on-topic... veered off the rails a bit here and there but self-corrected. At almost 40 pages that's bound to happen a bit. All good.

I will encourage everyone to start your own build threads to ask specific questions in regards to issues with your build (and to post pics and show off, of course), as it will just help keep things more organized and therefore more helpful for other people looking for information. Please do try and title your thread with your forum handle in it or something to differentiate it from the others that are bound to pop up. Will be confusing to have 5 different "My 831 build thread" posts to go through.

Also, I think the fact that this thread is stickied to the top of the forum means that people will instinctively go straight to it with any 831 questions. Since this group buy is complete, I'll un-sticky it now. That should help.

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:16:51 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Jal

« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
Bad news from WXY  :( . Transit time China-Italy is average 15 days but the parcel departs when they fill completely a cargo plane; it can cause delays like this time.

Just like you, the shipping of the frame is still stuck :-\. Can someone tell me the diameter of the seatpost clamp, please? 34.9mm right?

xtinction

« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2021, 12:13:00 AM »
Just like you, the shipping of the frame is still stuck :-\. Can someone tell me the diameter of the seatpost clamp, please? 34.9mm right?

My frame has arrived but I'll have to wait for the weekends as im not home during the weekdays :c

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2021, 12:36:40 AM »
Recently WXY shipping is a little delayed, we have contact them to arrange ASAP, thanks for understanding and supporting.
Most of the customer got the frame in hand, and till now all the order for the groupbuy A have been shipped out.
If you got any question for the shipping or the problem of the frame, both feel free to contact me at any time.

Thanks.
Eddy

scourge

« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2021, 01:58:08 AM »
Anyone know where I can get ultra thin shims to make my 22.2mm mounting hardware work? I see them on Alliexpress but the delivery date is mid November. Kind of hoping I can find them somewhere else sooner. Thanks.

darius72

« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2021, 02:41:31 AM »

I confirm, seat post clamp 34.9; I bought it out of aliexpress with QR as I am not planning to use a dropper.
Regarding shipping it looks like most of the users here are from USA or Canada. The shipping to Europe is probably a little more tricky than to north America:
to speed up customs processing normally all aliexpress / China import stuff goes first to Belgium or Czech republic to clear the customs and then DPD handles it to final destination. Average total transit time is in my experience 15-20 days, but people experienced also up to 40-50 days.
My frame was shipped from Haideli on 31.8 and according to WXY tracking the "flight has been delayed" and it is still waiting in China.
Anybody from Europe has already received the frame? Thanks Eddy for the support, if you have news from WXY let us know.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:45:33 AM by darius72 »

JJJ

« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
Anyone know where I can get ultra thin shims to make my 22.2mm mounting hardware work? I see them on Alliexpress but the delivery date is mid November. Kind of hoping I can find them somewhere else sooner. Thanks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002383326508.html
Change the shipping options to pay a little more to receive earlier.

Jal

« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2021, 07:35:47 AM »
It seems that we have to be patient, thanks Eddy for your efforts. And thank you darius72 for the seatpost clamp info and for the extensive information.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:37:36 AM by Jal »

Maffly

« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »
Has anyone used offset shock bushings to replicate the “low” setting of the Hightower?  About to pull the trigger but would love a slightly slacker HA.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »

Here are some 0.5mm thick:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/SS8x17x0.5.html

The tabs on the frame might flex easily to take up the (very?) small gap. But if you start tightening the hardware and the tabs resist movement then you should find a shim, just depends how the carbon is laid whether it wants to flex or remain stiff.

You can also make your own fairly easy and they used to sell shim stock in various thicknesses but I don't know where you find it these days. But you can use a soda can cut open and laid flat, or copper gasket material, or even tar paper. Then use a hole punch to cut the inside and outside diameter, for the most professional look, though scissors can also be used if you take your time. If you don't have or can't find the right size hole punches, you can also find metal pipe with the I.D. of the hole you want to make. Then grind the outside circumference at a 45 to 60 degree angle until you meet the inside and form a sharp edge. Then use this to tap on the end and cut the material.

I also have 22.2mm spacer and should have the frame Monday and can see how well it fits and let you know if you don't have yours yet.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »
DU bushings are thin.  Some photo for reference.

What brand shock is that? DU is a plastic and that looks more like a coating or ceramic that was sprayed on? I've had Fox, Rockshox, DVO and now Suntour and they all are quite different with a 15mm hole in the eyelet and plastic bushings that bring it down to a 12.7mm hole.

Something like this:

I guess different companies do things their own way and I'm not sure how to handle that type, but I can't imagine any shock that doesn't have an insert that can be replaced when it wears, and is meant to ride on the bare aluminum instead.

cybrsrce

« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
What brand shock is that? DU is a plastic and that looks more like a coating or ceramic that was sprayed on? I've had Fox, Rockshox, DVO and now Suntour and they all are quite different with a 15mm hole in the eyelet and plastic bushings that bring it down to a 12.7mm hole.

Something like this:

I guess different companies do things their own way and I'm not sure how to handle that type, but I can't imagine any shock that doesn't have an insert that can be replaced when it wears, and is meant to ride on the bare aluminum instead.

That would be a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate.  A lot of the rockshox mount kits are meant to be installed with the metal bushing, some are not.  I like the Fox urethane versions better so that play doesn't ruin the eyelet but Rockshox still come with metal bushings that require a removal tool or some creativity with bolts and sockets.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
That would be a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate.  A lot of the rockshox mount kits are meant to be installed with the metal bushing, some are not.  I like the Fox urethane versions better so that play doesn't ruin the eyelet but Rockshox still come with metal bushings that require a removal tool or some creativity with bolts and sockets.

I'm not sure why they call it a DU bushing because it doesn't seem like plastic that thin would do much or be durable?

I'm also very surprised they recommend installing the shock with it removed so it's bare aluminum and without something that can be replaced after it wears from rotation, no matter how slight it is. That had me pretty confused...and I didn't want someone to damage their new shock.

I don't think I would be very happy with Rockshox if I had a bike that had to be setup that way!

scourge

« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2021, 12:06:28 AM »
Here are some 0.5mm thick:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/SS8x17x0.5.html

The tabs on the frame might flex easily to take up the (very?) small gap. But if you start tightening the hardware and the tabs resist movement then you should find a shim, just depends how the carbon is laid whether it wants to flex or remain stiff.

You can also make your own fairly easy and they used to sell shim stock in various thicknesses but I don't know where you find it these days. But you can use a soda can cut open and laid flat, or copper gasket material, or even tar paper. Then use a hole punch to cut the inside and outside diameter, for the most professional look, though scissors can also be used if you take your time. If you don't have or can't find the right size hole punches, you can also find metal pipe with the I.D. of the hole you want to make. Then grind the outside circumference at a 45 to 60 degree angle until you meet the inside and form a sharp edge. Then use this to tap on the end and cut the material.

I also have 22.2mm spacer and should have the frame Monday and can see how well it fits and let you know if you don't have yours yet.

Frame flex shouldn't matter. The 22.2mm is the lower  eyelet that connects to the metal linkage. That thing feels solid. I don't think its going to flex. The .5mm bushings you sent in the link look good, but I think they may be too big. People have said 22.86 works, so 22.2 plus another two .5mm shims give a us 23.2mm. I'm thinking that might be too thick. The shims ar only two bucks so I may order some to try. Your soda can idea is interesting.