Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128305 times)

cybrsrce

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #600 on: September 23, 2021, 08:56:20 AM »
What do you guys think I should do for decals when I paint the bike? I don't really like the one colour/no writing look, but obviously there's no "proper" way to do them. I kinda broke down the following options:

1. Just do Santa Cruz decals - I don't really like this. It's a bit too on the nose, but just a little off, ya know?
2. Do some chinese brand's decals - I don't mind "831" for the model, but all their names are kinda... eh?
3. Some random "cool" word as a brand
4. Just do the name of an already existing open mold importing brand
5. Decals from a brand that currently uses VPP but does not use the low-slung version (yet) - think DMR, Diamondback, maybe even Intense! lol.

I'm kind of leaning to number 5 (not intense though), It would be kinda silly while at the same time not too far-fetched to become reality. Who's to say Diamondback doesn't have the v3 of the release planned up as a lower link bike if you see this thing ride by at a trail network?

I'm doing a mix of 1 and 3.  I bought the invisframe hightower decal kit for the vpp sticker but then will use the same branding that I use on all my direct from China frames.  I have a Cricut die cut machine to make the frame decals and it does an okay job, may still order 3rd party.   diylettering.com is pretty reasonable and you can design your own simple text.

Snacks

« Reply #601 on: September 23, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
What do you guys think I should do for decals when I paint the bike? I don't really like the one colour/no writing look, but obviously there's no "proper" way to do them. I kinda broke down the following options:

1. Just do Santa Cruz decals - I don't really like this. It's a bit too on the nose, but just a little off, ya know?
2. Do some chinese brand's decals - I don't mind "831" for the model, but all their names are kinda... eh?
5. Decals from a brand that currently uses VPP but does not use the low-slung version (yet) - think DMR, Diamondback, maybe even Intense! lol.

I'm kind of leaning to number 5 (not intense though), It would be kinda silly while at the same time not too far-fetched to become reality. Who's to say Diamondback doesn't have the v3 of the release planned up as a lower link bike if you see this thing ride by at a trail network?

I like option 3. I was going to do 1 myself but thought the bend in the top tube was enough of a change that people would notice it's not a SC bike.

I am going with 3 myself  but its a "brand" that I've put on all my builds so far. Monsuta. It means monster in Japanese so I theme them around different monsters or creatures. The emtb was themed after Frankensteins monster since it also took a bit of juice to get it going haha .

I , too, used a cricut to cut vinyl for the decals . Although I'm thinking of trying water slide decals this time around since they're thinner.

eastcoastbumps

« Reply #602 on: September 23, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
Jotegr, do some Eddy Cruz decals

eastcoastbumps

« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2021, 06:54:48 AM »
How is everyone installing their headset?   The bearings are loose in my frame. Last carbon bike I built had aluminum cups the bearings sat in and I’ve ordered a ZTTO headset that has them. 

Jotegr

« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
How is everyone installing their headset?   The bearings are loose in my frame. Last carbon bike I built had aluminum cups the bearings sat in and I’ve ordered a ZTTO headset that has them.

Seeing as its an IS headset and not a ZS/EC, I'm going to place the bearing in the frame and be done with it.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #605 on: September 24, 2021, 11:27:38 AM »
It's an integrated headset and the frame is built with the carbon pockets aligned and at the correct angle to accept the bearings. Which don't move on the carbon and just rest there and the fork and stem all rotate on the ID of the bearings. What you were shipped is exactly what you need. You can order a better headset but it needs to be an integrated that looks like what you have. Mine is installed and works fine, give it a try. Also, I needed to use one spacer to get the top cap/seal to fit right. I still need to tighten it a bit more which might compress the split ring a bit and I might need to add a second. Just make sure the rubber seal doesn't have a gap under it and just touching the stack under it.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »

I'll probably leave it blank or put on some type vinyl car wrap with a pattern. But I've been thinking about putting a nickname of where I'm from. Santa Cruz isn't the only place in the world. That or one of my nicknames. Just not sure I feel like waiting to find a font and design I like...

darius72

« Reply #607 on: September 26, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
Tomorrow the frame is scheduled to be at my door; hopefully no bad surprises. It took 27 days from China and 3 days once it arrived in Belgium.

slowpoke

« Reply #608 on: September 26, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
Seat post question.
One of last items on my purchase list is a dropper post to go in my size small frame.
How many have installed 31.6 diameter post without any modifications?
insertion depth?
for those that had to go with 30.9, what did you use as a shim?

Jal

« Reply #609 on: September 26, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »
If you want to put a 30.9 seatpost, type " 30.9 31.6 shim" in the search box of Aliexpress and choose.
Here a premium version= https://shop.vecnum.com/gb/10-shims
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:44:05 PM by Jal »

JJJ

« Reply #610 on: September 27, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
Anyone given their rig a hard time on gnarly terrain and jumps? Any feedback concerning the frame rigidity and endurance?

geekbox32

« Reply #611 on: September 27, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »
Seat post question.
One of last items on my purchase list is a dropper post to go in my size small frame.
How many have installed 31.6 diameter post without any modifications?
insertion depth?
for those that had to go with 30.9, what did you use as a shim?

I had installed a 31.6 diameter 125mm PNW Loam dropper post into my small frame with no issues. I have it fully inserted into the frame (215 mm).

Anyone given their rig a hard time on gnarly terrain and jumps? Any feedback concerning the frame rigidity and endurance?

I was out on my bike yesterday sessioning 2-3 feet drops without any issues and tackling roots at speed. The bike has been sucking it up like a pro without any issues. I'm not a small guy either.... I would have issues with frame flex/tire rubbing on my old QR 26er doing the same.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:20:44 AM by geekbox32 »

darius72

« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
The frame has arrived: no shipping damages and it looks really well made; the paint job is better than I expected. Together with it an headset, two rear hangers (one paid extra), the BB, and the rear axle. Moreover a rubber chainstay protector.
First notes:
- I confirm 22.8 and 30.0 for the rear shock mount; I've already installed my dt swiss unit and it is not exactly a 5 minuntes job: you need to undo the rear mechanism and play with washers in tiny space; the M8 0.1mm aliexpress shims helped to make a neat job.
- I bought a shimano BB, the OEM one looks ok, just is much heavier being in alluminium while shimano is mostly plastic; shimano bearings are sticky, OEM are loose and move easily, probably shimano is better; do I need to install the BB spacer oncrank side?
- no interference in seat post insertion, all free of imperfections.

JJJ

« Reply #613 on: September 28, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
Got mine today from Winow (I missed the group buy possibility through Eddy). Matte black finish with a few minor paint imperfections near the various aluminum inserts. The threading for the shock rear axle in the bottom link was a bit botched and the screw was hard to get in.

Also the holes for routing the lines in the rear triangle are not quite "finished" - they are more perpendicular than slanted and make the lines penetrate at awkward angles. I guess I need to do some filing.

By the way, how did you guys manage to route the lines through the rear triangle?

Snacks

« Reply #614 on: September 28, 2021, 01:20:19 PM »