Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128240 times)

BSAM

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #660 on: October 04, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
posted this in my own build tread but didnt any responses. hopefully i can get some opinions here.

put the decal on one side of the bike but im a bit iffy on how it looks. im thinking of replacing it with this metallic vinyl. what do you guys think? new vinyl or keep what i have on there

Liked the Decal.  Perhaps one more short word or make the "Monsuta" a bit wider to cover the frame. 

As per your installation of the chainstay protector - did you have to fight it, in order to get it in?  It appeared I ordered a wrong one (Heckler 8C instead of the SC tallboy?)  -  really difficult for me to squeeze it in.   :o

darius72

« Reply #661 on: October 04, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »
As per RAD parameter I am 7-8 cm over with 4 cm spacers; reducing the spacers will bring me to 3-4 cm over; I think the system doesn't work on this kind of frames that are really huge; anybody that built the bike probably noticed that is really big, and this is the secret to fly over obstacles; I'll stay with 4 cm spacers, eventually I will reduce later on.
I found a 36/45 lower headset bearing and I solved this problem, but installing a star nut too; the stock expander doesn't give the needed pull.
Next problem: the hose of my shimano xt brake barely passes through the holes in the frame, to pull it in/out is going to be fun  :D

xtinction

« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2021, 07:46:05 PM »
As per RAD parameter I am 7-8 cm over with 4 cm spacers; reducing the spacers will bring me to 3-4 cm over; I think the system doesn't work on this kind of frames that are really huge; anybody that built the bike probably noticed that is really big, and this is the secret to fly over obstacles; I'll stay with 4 cm spacers, eventually I will reduce later on.
I found a 36/45 lower headset bearing and I solved this problem, but installing a star nut too; the stock expander doesn't give the needed pull.
Next problem: the hose of my shimano xt brake barely passes through the holes in the frame, to pull it in/out is going to be fun  :D

For the internal routing i got 1 of dem AE internal routing kit. Pulled from back to front quite easily. I didnt wanna test my patience on luck

JJJ

« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2021, 01:32:53 AM »

Check this

JJJ

« Reply #664 on: October 05, 2021, 01:42:34 AM »

I had to widen the holes with a round file

Thrill21

« Reply #665 on: October 05, 2021, 05:19:07 AM »
Gents, a 'sticker foam' for the chain stay has been included in my frame, if anyone else has received, which direction did you apply it?  :o

Confused

« Reply #666 on: October 05, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »
Thrill21 - a rubber/sticker chainstay protector is included with all except the first month or so of frames that shipped.  Some people managed to order a protector from Santa Cruz but all models from there are on backorder.

xtinction

« Reply #667 on: October 05, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
Gents, a 'sticker foam' for the chain stay has been included in my frame, if anyone else has received, which direction did you apply it?  :o

i dont know if im unlcuky to maybe its just the way i stuck it on my frame, mine didnt stick very well but the one i had ordered from AE which looks amost identical stuck so much better so take it as you will.

i ended up just ghetto-ing it and rapping tubes around my chainstay cause i have duck legs and always run my heels on the chainstay.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #668 on: October 05, 2021, 11:24:58 PM »
Update: I installed the stock BB with no inner spacer, just to have more chances to remove it later; I plan to order thread in BB, ZTTO or token; if aliexpress is involved is going to take a while.
Chainline: I installed the 52 mm Xt crank, as said before the clearance with the lower frame is minimal, I measured it is 0.8 mm; I think it could stay like this, moving the crank out will harm the chainline: like this is aligned on the 4th gear from the smallest. I think 0.8 mm flex on the chainring will not happen.
Geometry: I put on fork and wheels to work on geometry: my handlebar hasn't much rise, maybe just 20-30 mm, but I feel like adding a lot of spacers under the handlebar, up to 5 cm: is it normal?

How much higher do you need to raise your seat to pedal efficiently? I personally don't like the way a bunch of spacers under the stem looks, but I also don't feel like it needs to be that high. But better to cut the steerer long and use spacers until you can ride it and see what feels best. You can always move the spacers around to see what feels right and trim it later.

I'm waiting for a 40mm stem and have a 60mm on currently and will probably go with 1x 10mm spacer under and 1x over. As it is, the stack on this bike is 48mm more than my current bike which is quite a bit higher and about like adding 5cm of spacers to it so I'm a bit surprisedthis frame feels like that much is needed, but everyone is different. Also, the reach is about 40mm more than my current bike but the distance from saddle to bar is almost exactly the same on both and with the 40mm stem will be shorter and quite a bit higher so will be more upright and comfortable. But with this newer geometry, I'm expecting to have to play around with the cockpit to see what feels good and puts enough weight over the front to get good traction and works best.

I was worried about chainline since I ordered a 7120  crank with 55mm chainline. But that is also what Shimano considers a boost crankset and is recommended for use with boost rear hub spacing so it can't be too bad. Also, I went with a ZTTO thread together BB which must be wider than a normal PF92 BB because I was only able to use 1 spacer which I put on the non drive side. If a 7100 crank has an axle that is 6mm shorter, I'm not sure it will work with the ZTTO BB? Just something to consider for anyone thinking about that combo. With that setup there is about a 1mm gap between the chainring bolt and frame, and about 5mm between tips of 32T chainring and frame. Don't think I would want it any less, and it might not be ideal but I think that crank is the only way it would all work with the setup I went with.

Has anyone come up with a fender or some type of protection for the bottom linkage and back of the shock? It's all right in the path of the tire and I can't imagine it all holding up that well to very many days of mud or rain...

JJJ

« Reply #669 on: October 06, 2021, 02:33:15 AM »
Has anyone come up with a fender or some type of protection for the bottom linkage and back of the shock? It's all right in the path of the tire and I can't imagine it all holding up that well to very many days of mud or rain...

The original SC solution doesn't look that efficient either...

darius72

« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2021, 04:02:17 AM »

I'm waiting for a 40mm stem and have a 60mm on currently and will probably go with 1x 10mm spacer under and 1x over. As it is, the stack on this bike is 48mm more than my current bike which is quite a bit higher and about like adding 5cm of spacers to it so I'm a bit surprisedthis frame feels like that much is needed, but everyone is different. Also, the reach is about 40mm more than my current bike but the distance from saddle to bar is almost exactly the same on both and with the 40mm stem will be shorter and quite a bit higher so will be more upright and comfortable. But with this newer geometry, I'm expecting to have to play around with the cockpit to see what feels good and puts enough weight over the front to get good traction and works best.

About setting up the cockpit is good to share some points of view here; I also feels strange adding (at the end 4 cm below 1 cm above the stem) a lot of spacers, but I tested the bike just on a flat surface without even pedals; when I will do a test drive I will decide if it's the case to lower the bar or not. I think it is a good idea to cut the stem high and keep many possibilities for later. Any other comments from people that are riding the complete bike are welcome.
For the chainline I will keep the 52 mm shimano XT and either add a 1 mm shim or most probably like someone have already done here change the chainring with an aftermarket one that has no inner bolts and then a better clearance.
I was also thinking about the "problem" of the rear mechanism fender...any ideas are welcome (3d printing?) or maybe just a wrap of rubber or similar.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:14:01 AM by darius72 »

Deso

« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2021, 01:22:37 PM »
Hey guys.

Did someone already try to put in a cascade link?

cascade link: https://cascadecomponents.eu/collections/santa-cruz-linkages/products/hightower-v2-lt-link

Got a frame on the way and thought it would be cool to do.

Thanks!

xtinction

« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
Hey guys.

Did someone already try to put in a cascade link?

cascade link: https://cascadecomponents.eu/collections/santa-cruz-linkages/products/hightower-v2-lt-link

Got a frame on the way and thought it would be cool to do.

Thanks!

Someone already tried to fit a standard santa cruz ht link and it wont fit cause the shock hole is too small to accept the link cause the original one uses a 30mm bearing eyelet .

So no. No one has tired it cause it won't work

cybrsrce

« Reply #673 on: October 06, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »
The original SC solution doesn't look that efficient either...

Someone made a 3d print that was wider and longer but is only really practical when screwed in.  I'm not brave enough to rivnut the seat tube, or anywhere on these frames really, to get a little sample fender.  I bodged up a version without the screw holes that could be attached with double sided tape but it is heavy.  The original - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4853311

Other than looking like a SC this frame has nearly nothing in common with any model.  That said though I do think the muckshield made for the Tallboy/Hightower/Megatower would fit and be pretty neat.  The M5 version isn't available yet but I think a crafty person can work out how to make something similar.

https://www.phizcycling.com/the-muckshield

xtinction

« Reply #674 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »
Someone made a 3d print that was wider and longer but is only really practical when screwed in.  I'm not brave enough to rivnut the seat tube, or anywhere on these frames really, to get a little sample fender.  I bodged up a version without the screw holes that could be attached with double sided tape but it is heavy.  The original - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4853311

Other than looking like a SC this frame has nearly nothing in common with any model.  That said though I do think the muckshield made for the Tallboy/Hightower/Megatower would fit and be pretty neat.  The M5 version isn't available yet but I think a crafty person can work out how to make something similar.

https://www.phizcycling.com/the-muckshield

why not just remove the side ridges so u can fit a zip tie thru the holes then zip tie it to the seat tube . then maybe extend it alittle longer if its too high up