Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128304 times)

xtinction

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #690 on: October 08, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
Any builds with a 170mm travel fork yet?

Ill be building with a reverse -0.5° crown spacer and a 160 fork . basically same a 170 fork if i didn't use the spacer.

I think fitting a 170 fork and a crown spacer will be a little too much dont wanna push the head tube too much

Snacks

« Reply #691 on: October 08, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »
pretty much done with the build. waiting on a different brake mount adapters and some fork decals

BSAM

« Reply #692 on: October 08, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »
Looking real nice.  Liked the bigger letters. 
pretty much done with the build. waiting on a different brake mount adapters and some fork decals

Confused

« Reply #693 on: October 08, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »
I am looking at a 42mm offset fork and 3mm crown race spacer.  I think the lower offset should balance out the spacer and 170mm up front might be viable.

JJJ

« Reply #694 on: October 09, 2021, 03:40:36 AM »
I am looking at a 42mm offset fork and 3mm crown race spacer.  I think the lower offset should balance out the spacer and 170mm up front might be viable.

Decreasing the offset, on the contrary, rises the front, so slackens the bike!
https://madscientistmtb.com/bike-geometry-calculator/

If you want to compensate a longer fork length, you would want to increase the offset.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:48:59 AM by JJJ »

JJJ

« Reply #695 on: October 09, 2021, 03:47:18 AM »
Any builds with a 170mm travel fork yet?

Why would anyone want to do that here? This is an all mountain frame, not an enduro. I'm mounting a 150 mm travel fork, like on the original hightower specs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:50:38 AM by JJJ »

Thrill21

« Reply #696 on: October 09, 2021, 06:22:02 AM »

Snacks, build looks great - where did you get he chain stay protector?

cybrsrce

« Reply #697 on: October 09, 2021, 06:50:48 AM »
Why would anyone want to do that here? This is an all mountain frame, not an enduro. I'm mounting a 150 mm travel fork, like on the original hightower specs.

We don't have a suggested A2C measurement for this frame (not that I found anyway) but the specs say this is a 150mm travel and suggest a 160mm fork. Have to remember that looks a bit like a HT but has nothing else in common with it.  Based on current generation Rockshox and Fox forks, 150mm sit around 570mm and then 170m are around 590mm.  I think 150-170 is reasonable for this frame depending on where you ride.

I went to a 160mm 38mm stanchion fork because I ride trails that are actually used for regional enduro races but I still have a lot of technical climbing to do so I don't want to ride wheelies up hill all the time.  If you don't care much about climbing performance nothing wrong going long :)

zilcho

« Reply #698 on: October 09, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »
Have to remember that looks a bit like a HT but has nothing else in common with it.

Except for the part where the geo charts are basically identical. The only differences come down to the difference in styling on the seat tube and shape of the headtube and down tube. All meaningful measurements are the same. Sure, it's not an exact clone like you'll see for other frames/brands but this is very much a reverse engineered/inspired HT.

Confused

« Reply #699 on: October 09, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »
Kydex custom downtube protector.  It still needs a little adjustment.  For reference this is from a 4"x12" piece of thermoform plastic.

Snacks

« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Snacks, build looks great - where did you get he chain stay protector?

thanks! its from Santa Cruz for the tallboy 4 and joplin 3. i have another post in this thread with pics of how it fits. its on there very snug and covers the chainstay but im still betting a HT specific one might fit just that much better

Snacks

« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
Kydex custom downtube protector.  It still needs a little adjustment.  For reference this is from a 4"x12" piece of thermoform plastic.

that looks great. definitely next on my list!

cybrsrce

« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »
Except for the part where the geo charts are basically identical. The only differences come down to the difference in styling on the seat tube and shape of the headtube and down tube. All meaningful measurements are the same. Sure, it's not an exact clone like you'll see for other frames/brands but this is very much a reverse engineered/inspired HT.

The only thing in common is the vpp and chainstay length.  Everything else I measured is +/- 10mm.  It is clearly inspired by current SC models, kinda falls in between the HT and MT, but is definitely not as close as you would think only going by the geo chart.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #703 on: October 09, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »
The only thing in common is the vpp and chainstay length.  Everything else I measured is +/- 10mm.  It is clearly inspired by current SC models, kinda falls in between the HT and MT, but is definitely not as close as you would think only going by the geo chart.

Are you saying your measured distances are different than the geo chart? Because the charts were the same unless they got updated?

cybrsrce

« Reply #704 on: October 09, 2021, 01:04:13 PM »
Are you saying your measured distances are different than the geo chart? Because the charts were the same unless they got updated?

Yes, wouldn't be the first frame I had where the numbers didn't match the geo chart.  So far the differences I get are:
Chainstay: 440 (433)
Top Tube: 632 (618)
Reach: 488 (473)

My measurement (stock measurement)

I also realize those number are closer to the L frame but the HT and ST measurements are right on the mm from the M chart.  If either of those were longer I would just accept that I got the wrong size :)

I will redo the chainstay length when I get the shock in as It is out a little further with the spacer even though I subtracted the gap space.  It could just be me, it would be great if other people would measure out some of those to either validate or tell me that I'm doing it wrong...
When it has wheels on I will measure BB drop, BB height, stack, and angles.  If I'm not wrong, this isn't necessarily bad just different than what I expected.