Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128161 times)

geekbox32

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #765 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
There was some talk a few pages back regarding what a mud guard for the shock. I had designed and printed myself one a few weeks back that seems to work well. It's held on via a zip and i've attached it for anyone that has a 3d printer.

darius72

« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
Will the bolts tighten the connection even when tight?

It wasn't obvious, but I found one side wouldn't get tight enough and there was flex when pushing and pulling on the rear end. This was because the countersunk hole that the bolt head sits in and is supposed to pull everything tight, was a little too deep and when the bolt bottoms out in the linkage there is still space under the bolt head and allows some side to side movement.

I took a fairly stiff wall plastic bottle, cut it open and laid it flat and cut a washer/spacer with heavy utility scissors. This let the bolt tighten everything up and feels like it should, at least when pulling on it and when sitting on it and bouncing it up and down (there are dirtbike sounds too but I don't think they are important...I kid, I kid). I was going to see if I could find a metal one the right size or make one, but I think what I made will hold up just fine. Time will tell.

Might want to double check all the connections because like I said, it wasn't obvious until I gave it a good sideways tug.

After reading this I was really worried: when I found the bolt loose on the upper rod the rear traingle was really flexy side to side; I rechecked after I made them up with good threadlock and there is no flex, so probably the bolts are doing their job (I hope I don't have the gap issue), even if the rear triangle isn't super stiff laterally. Probably would be a good idea to get from Haideli a spare set of these bolts, they aren't standard pieces and if you lose one on the trail the bike becomes unusable.

cybrsrce

« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »
Does anyone have torque specs for the unmarked linkage bolts? 

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #768 on: October 17, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
Loc tite and similar thread lockers work well for some applications but for some I'm not a big fan. Once it cures and the bolt is turned, it shears the material and doesn't have the same retention so if your going over the bike making sure everything is tight and it turns, it won't be as strong. It usually will be fine but I like using Teflon tape when I can as it let's you make adjustments, especially on bigger diameter threads where thread lock can be difficult to break free with the larger contact area.

There is also a product called Vibra Tite that dries to a more soft plastic material and can be repositioned multiple times. Unfortunately it's hard to find in stores and usually I have to order it.

https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadlockers/removable-reusable-threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/

I've found some things in the past that was called thread sealant as well as a Teflon paste that both behaved similar once dry. However, I don't remember the brand or know if all brands behave the same.

Just thought I would throw this out there since it's not a well known product

scourge

« Reply #769 on: October 18, 2021, 12:38:40 AM »
There was some talk a few pages back regarding what a mud guard for the shock. I had designed and printed myself one a few weeks back that seems to work well. It's held on via a zip and i've attached it for anyone that has a 3d printer.

That's awesome. I wish I knew someone who has a 3D printer.

You could probably sell them on here.

dt

« Reply #770 on: October 20, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
Does anyone else's frame looks like it was carved out inside the bottom bracket? Is this normal? (I attached some images)

darius72

« Reply #771 on: October 20, 2021, 02:41:12 PM »
Does anyone else's frame looks like it was carved out inside the bottom bracket? Is this normal? (I attached some images)

I am not 100% sure but I think mine looks the same

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #772 on: October 21, 2021, 12:15:20 AM »
My BB is in as well but from what I remember it was similar. If you look closely, I think you will find that is tape and not where material is milled/ground/carved out. For some reason they use tape to either block off areas or keep resin from dripping or etc etc??

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #773 on: October 21, 2021, 12:57:19 AM »
How many people have had a chance to ride the bike yet? Thoughts?

I'm still waiting on a few parts that seem like they should be here by now so I might just run by some shops tomorrow or order from Amazon if that doesn't work. But from pushing sideways on the rear end and wheel, there seems to be some flex. Enough to be worrisome before having a chance to ride it yet. Just curious if there are more ride reports and thoughts on flex in particular.

This is my first "chiner" frame and at this point I'm not sure if I would do it again. Even going with a more budget build with SLX and Suntour suspension (though the high end stuff) and carbon/DT350/D Lite spokes, I've put more into it than I thought I would. I still know enough people from my racing days I can usually get 30-40% off msrp which brings price a lot closer. Even Canyon and similar consumer direct would be fairly close with the same parts spec. Though I could see a hard tail and a really budget spec for friends and family...but I'll wait to ride it for the final judgment. Though I still haven't gotten the shifting any better or figured out what to do about the der hanger and the out of range placement.

Anyways, I hope others are liking theirs and I get more excited once I can start rippin around some trails

JJJ

« Reply #774 on: October 21, 2021, 03:04:26 AM »

Mine was similar. Any carbon frame looks pretty rough inside, especially in corners.

JJJ

« Reply #775 on: October 21, 2021, 03:22:21 AM »

Anyways, I hope others are liking theirs and I get more excited once I can start rippin around some trails

Yes, thoughts please. I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet because of my wrist.

darius72

« Reply #776 on: October 21, 2021, 01:22:25 PM »
This is my second chiner, the first one was an XC carbon frame 9 Kg, still working after 9 years abuse; in that case the build was very easy.
With this bike the build was challenging, many issues (frame hitting the fork,chainline,internal cable routing, rear shock bolts) but at the end the bike is real; I spent more than what I planned, due also to parts shortage covid related: no special sales, if you find the part you want you pay full price.
I ended up with approx 3000 $ bill,(roughly 800$ frame, 700$ wheels, 900 $ suspensions, 600$ the rest) that it is above my initial plan.
I wanted a bike that is good downhill but not too heavy uphill, and for now I am really happy.
First rides impressions: (consider that there is still a lot of fine tuning to do)
At 12.3 Kg it is probably one of the lighest full suspension 160-150 mm excursion bike in the market: even 10,000 $ bikes sometimes are heavier; it climbs really well, the DT swiss F535 shock is perfect with three position lever (open, climb, full lock) giving a stable pedaling platform; this aliexpress saddle is very light and it's the most confortable I've ever tried:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32766321631.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dc99TC2
These pedals are also light, cheap and well made:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001829797106.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dc99TC2
I don't feel the bike worse uphill than my 9 Kg XC bike, except maybe for the tyres drag (minion DHF+rekon).
Downhill performance:
The bike is good, I like the position and being extremely big it eats the trails and the bumps; despite this there is still a lot to do in tuning: the fork manitou mezzer has two hair chambers and two hidraulyc dials, now it's decent but not perfect.
I think the 740 mm wide handlebar has to be reduced to 700 or 720 mm (I am 176  cm tall); the position of the saddle relatively to the post also is not perfect.
The only way to have a good setup in my opinion is to go in a bike park, dial in the suspension and repeat the easiest trail a couple of times, I don't think I will have a chance to do this before next spring.
Shimano XT brakes are powerful enough on 180 mm discs and no drags at all; I wanted formula cura as first choice but are sold out around the world.
To maximize the fun you have to trust the bike and on flow section increase the speed above your confort zone...and it pays back, it literally flies over obstacles.
Mistakes during build:
The shimano chainring with 52 mm chainline it's too close to the frame: better to use an aftermarket chainring that has no bolts and then more clearance; I don't recommend the 55 mm chainline.
I Bought a 34 chainring, and while to me 34/51 is enough uphill, 34/10 is almost useless on this bike: a 32 teeths chainring is more than enough in my opinion.
Problems so far:
Rear brake hose rattles inside frame, probably not too difficult to fix; shifting up is good but not great, I have to study the hanger b screw position as per previous posts; for some evil reason my rear rim is true but the maxxis rekon tyre can't sit completely straight. (maybe defective  tyre?)
After first ride one big bolt of rear suspension connecting rod got loose and the rear triangle become laterally flexy: I made up all four at the specified torque, added new thread locker and marked the bolts with paint to check movements: so far it's ok; with the bolts made up and the rear wheel installed it's not flexy, unless you push really hard.
And of course with such a new and nice bike I am not only afraid of hurting myself with a crash but also of damaging the bike itself  ;D ;D ;D
Last problem...the bike it's huge and doesn't fit my car trunk as other bikes did >:(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:47:37 PM by darius72 »

Jal

« Reply #777 on: October 22, 2021, 09:14:15 AM »
Warning for those planning to use the Fox 36 Grip2 (current version): With the Cane Creek 110 Hellbender headset lower bearing and the Cane Creek spacer + 3mm, the adjustment dial of the fork still rubs a bit with the frame (size L). I'm going to change it for the + 6mm spacer, which will already give enough space, I hope.

The inside of my bottom bracket hole looks the same, it will be normal I guess.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of making a small hole to drain the water that can enter and accumulate in the lower part of the frame? I have seen it in other frames, but I do not know if it is really convenient or not ...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:20:29 AM by Jal »

cybrsrce

« Reply #778 on: October 22, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
Warning for those planning to use the Fox 36 Grip2 (current version): With the Cane Creek 110 Hellbender headset lower bearing and the Cane Creek spacer + 3mm, the adjustment dial of the fork still rubs a bit with the frame. I'm going to change it for the + 6mm spacer, which will already give enough space, I hope.

The inside of my bottom bracket hole looks the same, it will be normal I guess.

Has anyone thought of the possibility of making a small hole to drain the water that can enter and accumulate in the lower part of the frame? I have seen it in other frames, but I do not know if it is really convenient or not ...

That is surprising, I guess crown and damper heights differ a lot as I have a similar setup (Hellbender 70 and the +3mm race) and my Zeb clears by about 3-4mm on the medium frame.

I don't know about the drain - I would assume they would reinforce the carbon layup designed around a drain hole so drilling one might work into a weak point really quick.  I'm no expert though, asking a real one would probably be in your best interests :)

Jal

« Reply #779 on: October 22, 2021, 11:19:44 AM »
Oh yes, there is a substantial difference from what I see ... you've had better luck.
I forgot to mention that my frame is size L, I edit the previous post.
Yes, it may be better not to pierce anything just in case ...