Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128252 times)

emu26

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #870 on: November 11, 2021, 04:10:19 AM »
The second group buy is still open, Eddy posted a reminder about it the other day.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3356.0.html

Eddy-haideli

« Reply #871 on: November 11, 2021, 11:33:50 PM »
Contact me to join the groupbuy B order.

Thanks

Eddy@haidelibicycle.com

threeathan

« Reply #872 on: November 16, 2021, 08:36:51 AM »
Any more finished build owners can give some feedback and reviews of how the bike rides? Really on the edge of making an order with Eddy, just need that final push that everything will be fine, after seeing all the issues with the frame that was raised through this thread

deucelee

« Reply #873 on: November 16, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »
Any more finished build owners can give some feedback and reviews of how the bike rides? Really on the edge of making an order with Eddy, just need that final push that everything will be fine, after seeing all the issues with the frame that was raised through this thread

Would be great if there was a way to have a collaborative FAQ related to this frame.  I got mine ordered but would love to know more about the in's and out's of this frame. 

threeathan

« Reply #874 on: November 16, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
me too man, just pulled the trigger and ordered the frame. Hope all goes well haha.

One question for those who completed their builds already.. what crankset and chainring options did you guys go for? I read earlier in the thread that there is very little tolerance for the chainring before it rubs the frame, do we need to go for boost cranksets or do you think the regular cranksets will work? What chainline do you recommend going for shimano cranks

Maffly

« Reply #875 on: November 16, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »
Just got mine and am putting together now. Have a regular xt crank and bought a 30 tooth wolf tooth to go on because of clearance fears. The 30 tooth xt will actually work just fine. Don’t see a clearance issue. Now have one ready to go when it wears out.

deucelee

« Reply #876 on: November 17, 2021, 06:35:40 AM »
Do you guys a 32T oval will be OK? Or will that rub?

Maffly

« Reply #877 on: November 17, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
With my bb and cranks I would be confident that a 32 oval would be just fine.

threeathan

« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
Any1 knows if a dvo topaz t3 will fit the frame? I know the santa cruz suspension design has quite tight tolerances due to the low shock mounting system

Gigelz

« Reply #879 on: November 17, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
Any1 knows if a dvo topaz t3 will fit the frame? I know the santa cruz suspension design has quite tight tolerances due to the low shock mounting system
as long as it is an air shock, it should fit  :)

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #880 on: November 17, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »

It should. And the Topaz T3’s default tune is already pretty keyed to VPP kinematics (similar to the Low tune of most Fox/RS shocks), so it’s a perfect choice.

scourge

« Reply #881 on: November 17, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »

I think the oval I have on mine is 32t

cybrsrce

« Reply #882 on: November 17, 2021, 04:32:15 PM »

Plenty of room for the Topaz T3 but you may have some issues airing the bladder chamber depending on your shock pump.  As others said, it will fit most air shocks other than the ones with gear on the damper end like the Fox X2, Rockshox Vivid air, Cane Creek DB, etc.  Basically the same ones that won't fit on the HT v2.

cybrsrce

« Reply #883 on: November 17, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »

Depends on your crankset.  A Shimano, or Shimano style, boost spindle or a SRAM set with boost offset chainring and you'll have no problems.  Anything else and you may be in for some trial and error.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #884 on: November 17, 2021, 08:35:37 PM »
Plenty of room for the Topaz T3 but you may have some issues airing the bladder chamber depending on your shock pump.  As others said, it will fit most air shocks other than the ones with gear on the damper end like the Fox X2, Rockshox Vivid air, Cane Creek DB, etc.  Basically the same ones that won't fit on the HT v2.

That’s a very good point. I’ve noticed a lot fewer Topaz shocks on VPP bikes since SC went to the lower mounting. I’m sure there’s a good solution for that, but I’d want to be sure before I bought one for an 831 whether a normal shock pump fits comfortably or if you need one with a right angle attachment or adaptor.

I’d been planning to get a Topaz for my 831 build (once I’ve got the money to commit to the group buy,  not sure how soon that’s going to be), but maybe I should be looking elsewhere unless/until somebody confirms exactly how this works for them.

The problem is I really don’t know what other off the shelf shock is likely to be anywhere near close to the right tune…DVO used Santa Cruz as one of the testbeds for their default tune. I guess I can try to find a 210x55 in a Low tune and go from there, but I liked the idea of a one stop shop (and DVO does their own custom tuning service if I need customization).

The good news is that the second generation Topaz T3, which is in production now but not officially for sale yet, has a sideways piggyback like the one on the Topaz 2. Bryson Martin from DVO showed it off on his Instagram recently.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:38:35 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »