Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128413 times)

hardo420

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #990 on: December 07, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »
I added myself to the list. Thanks for all the work JJJ.

JJJ

« Reply #991 on: December 08, 2021, 05:54:53 AM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VllNnFhMycufNw3H4toELJPXWNQe-djAg7zDEYvuD0o/edit?usp=sharing

Some have indicated they want 2 pairs of bolts in the list - is that correct?

Please also indicate the W measurement for those who have ordered the 6703 bearings, because that one should be accurate for determining the L. The W measurement should be taken between the two bearings and not the face of the eyelet.

Gigelz

« Reply #992 on: December 08, 2021, 05:58:56 AM »
in my case thats correct. i want 2 pairs of the bolts -> 4 bolts in total. also ordered some bearings yesterday.

deucelee

« Reply #993 on: December 08, 2021, 06:05:16 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/8etfikF
Updated measurements in the doc and took a few pictures of the bearings in the frame.  Enduro bearings 6703-2RS, perfect fit.

So we're looking at $29 USD'ish for each bolt and two of these bearings to make this right?  https://www.locateballbearings.com/enduro-6703-2rs-ball-bearing/

Or is it actually 4 bearings?

And folks are ordering two bolts for backup purposes?

Any word from Heidei about making this right for folks?

Thx.

Gigelz

« Reply #994 on: December 08, 2021, 06:17:02 AM »
So we're looking at $29 USD'ish for each bolt and two of these bearings to make this right?  https://www.locateballbearings.com/enduro-6703-2rs-ball-bearing/

Or is it actually 4 bearings?

And folks are ordering two bolts for backup purposes?

Thx.
you need two bolts and two bearings to make this hopefully works. i am only ordering more for backup.

JJJ

« Reply #995 on: December 08, 2021, 06:49:13 AM »
So we're looking at $29 USD'ish for each bolt

The cost indicated at the bottom is for the pair of bolts.

two of these bearings to make this right?  https://www.locateballbearings.com/enduro-6703-2rs-ball-bearing/

The picture in that link is misleading, the "2RS" version are sealed. You can get them cheaper, they don't need to be premium quality.

They are working on a new version of the frame. I've asked Eddy what the new triangle pivots looked like and if they would provide an upgrade kit, but he hasn't answered yet. (In fact, I can't put much pressure on Eddy, because I didn't purchase my frame from Haideli...)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:04:02 AM by JJJ »

Snacks

« Reply #996 on: December 08, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
I was told the new rear triangle would be finished in a month and that was on Nov 4th. Asked Eddy about it last night and he said they're still working on a fix. I don't know how he can say the new frames are fine when they're still working on a fix. So I would still wouldn't purchase this frame if anyone is still considering it now. Kinda wish I had gone with a lcfs947 so I could actually have a rideable bike right now

Edit- I also joined the bolt buy, thanks for doing all this JJJ.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:03:09 AM by Snacks »

sips56

« Reply #997 on: December 08, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
I was told the new rear triangle would be finished in a month and that was on Nov 4th. Asked Eddy about it last night and he said they're still working on a fix. I don't know how he can say the new frames are fine when they're still working on a fix. So I would still wouldn't purchase this frame if anyone is still considering it now. Kinda wish I had gone with a lcfs947 so I could actually have a rideable bike right now

Edit- I also joined the bolt buy, thanks for doing all this JJJ.

My bike is very ridable despite the pivot issue with the nylon spacers in place.  It is a great bike...climbs well, fits well and when I get the suspension dialed in will be more than capable going down.  I have a ripmo and still feel like this will hold the edge no matter how good I get the suspension working on this AM831 frameset, but that is a well documented strength of the Ripmo and it was reviewed better going down than the Hightower by countless sources. 

If we can get this fix via JJJ I think we will have a good v1 bike and if Eddy can get a real fix in place this still seems like a frame that would have a bunch of success.

Snacks

« Reply #998 on: December 08, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »
Congrats, I'm glad yours is rideable. As documented in a few threads here. The flex has caused rubbing on my frame and I don't ride since it's already gone through the paint and I don't want it damaging the carbon underneath

Maffly

« Reply #999 on: December 08, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »
Mine rides very well with the 1mm nylon spacer/bushing. I am however inspecting multiple times throughout the ride for slop and the bolts coming loose. No reputable company would ever design a bike like this expecting not to have problems eventually.  It is going to wear down at some point. Keeping track of miles till failure. We may yet get a solid fix thanks to JJJ but no one should buy this frame until the issue is resolved from the factory.  There are too many good options out there to be buying this very flawed frame.  They should actually stop selling it until issue is resolved.

hagerd

« Reply #1000 on: December 08, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »

Looking at the V2 design in the spreadsheet. I am slightly concerned about not supporting the inner race of the inner bearing. Would you consider revising the design to have the circled shoulder at 90° (keep its current position)? This would allow reverting to your original design if necessary by using a custom spacer allowing the inner race to be pinched.

JJJ

« Reply #1001 on: December 08, 2021, 03:21:34 PM »
Looking at the V2 design in the spreadsheet. I am slightly concerned about not supporting the inner race of the inner bearing. Would you consider revising the design to have the circled shoulder at 90° (keep its current position)? This would allow reverting to your original design if necessary by using a custom spacer allowing the inner race to be pinched.

Hey, I haven't explained that one yet. This version is to be considered when there is too much variation in the L dimension (the carbon shoulder width). In that case we can't design a contact with the inner race of the inner bearing (with a shoulder or tube), because we'd either leave too much clearance around the outer bearing if L is on the shorter side, or break the outer bearing if L is on the wider side.

V2 is more adaptable - you screw the bolt just enough to remove the clearance in the two bearings (finger tight), and then block the bolt by tightening the grub screw. The bearings run smooth and there is no axial play.

In fact I believe we will need V2...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 03:31:35 PM by JJJ »

Maffly

« Reply #1002 on: December 08, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »
JJJ do you have people willing to make version 2 and if so what is the cost?  Seems like there is more involved.

JJJ

« Reply #1003 on: December 08, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
JJJ do you have people willing to make version 2 and if so what is the cost?  Seems like there is more involved.

V2 is the version that's been quoted (and in fact recommended by my contact). The other is cheaper by 0.50 EUR per bolt. I just need to buy the (standard) grub screws apart, but that's peanuts.

JJJ

« Reply #1004 on: December 08, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
Looking at the V2 design in the spreadsheet. Would you consider revising the design to have the circled shoulder at 90° (keep its current position)?

I guess that can be done!