Author Topic: Juin Tech GT-F brake calipers (dual piston)  (Read 10835 times)

1Sigma

Juin Tech GT-F brake calipers (dual piston)
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
The thing I love about binge shipping on AliX is that feeling of Christmas every day as packages show up at the door.

These are the flat mount dual piston, cable-actuated hydraulic calipers from Juin Tech.
As far as I know, these are rebranded and sold as Yokozuna Ultimas (Ultimo?) as well.

Comes with two sets of what appears to be organic brake pads. 
Not strictly a Chiner part, as they are not from Mainland China. 

332 for both calipers, pads, and hardware.  Maybe a bit less, as the cardboard spacers were still in the calipers. 
Cost: about $222USD.

Better than average - Extra Average

OlieSimpson

Re: Juin Tech GT-F brake calipers (dual piston)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 09:19:57 AM »
Hey 1Sigma,

Do you have a ride report on these? I'm debating between these and Juin Tech F1 brakes for a VB-R-168 I'm waiting on so you input would be appreciated  :)

1Sigma

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:07:59 AM »
Hey 1Sigma,

Do you have a ride report on these? I'm debating between these and Juin Tech F1 brakes for a VB-R-168 I'm waiting on so you input would be appreciated  :)

Hi Olie,
The frame arrives tomorrow, so hopefully a report soon.
Would try them on my current bike, but it's rim brake.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 01:13:02 PM »
Seems a little on the high side for cable actuated hydraulic brakes? Maybe they have gotten a lot better but I had a set years ago that left me disappointed.

Especially considering I just got a full set of Deore M6120 4 piston brakes for $220.

Not trying to talk down on these, but point out a well proven alternative...

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
Seems a little on the high side for cable actuated hydraulic brakes? Maybe they have gotten a lot better but I had a set years ago that left me disappointed.

Especially considering I just got a full set of Deore M6120 4 piston brakes for $220.

Not trying to talk down on these, but point out a well proven alternative...

Yea, I hear ya
I think the difference is, for us roadies, we need to consider the cost of getting replacing shifters as well when we go full hydraulic.  Whereas shifters are a separate piece of gear from brakes in an MTB setup

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 10:42:38 AM »
I wasn't thinking about road bikes. Disc brakes on road bikes were just starting to gain traction when I last had one so I won't ponder things I'm not familiar with. But I assume they have come quite a ways since my set of (mtb) cable pull calipers.

Thanks for clarifying your use and why you opted for them.

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »
I wasn't thinking about road bikes. Disc brakes on road bikes were just starting to gain traction when I last had one so I won't ponder things I'm not familiar with. But I assume they have come quite a ways since my set of (mtb) cable pull calipers.

Thanks for clarifying your use and why you opted for them.

Like most great "innovations" for road bikes these days, MTB did it first lol
Disc brakes are quickly becoming the norm on newer road bikes.   

You are correct, they have come away from a mechanical cable pull calipers and quite a ways from the first gen cable actuated hydraulic calipers.
These ones are particularly decent, capable of stopping fully loaded eBikes. 

BUT - given the choice, full hydro is almost always the way to go

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 10:32:54 PM »
Hey 1Sigma,

So, I’ve put about 70km or so on these. And I’m pretty satisfied.
I don’t really notice the difference so far compared to the 3-piston Shimano MT-BR520 brakes I had.
As others have mentioned, modulation isn’t as good as full hydro but still good.  It’s not on/off as some people make hybrid brakes out to be.

UPDATE: I guess the pads just took an ungodly amount of time to actually bed properly.
The braking power on these have significantly improved.  I don't know what is considered good, as I otherwise use fully contaminated v-brakes on my other bike, but I can go from 40kph to 0 in roughly a car length.

At higher speeds (40kph+) they stop faster than rim, and about the same at lower speeds (<30kph).  Haven’t ridden in the rain with them, but I’m sure they’ll be infinitely better than rim in the wet.

Honestly, I don’t know why I was hoping for.  They don’t blow me away, but I guess with brakes boring predictability is a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:13:13 PM by 1Sigma »

Irideslowly

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 05:40:36 AM »
So, I’ve put about 70km or so on these. And I’m pretty satisfied.
I don’t really notice the difference so far compared to the 3-piston Shimano MT-BR520 brakes I had.
As others have mentioned, modulation isn’t as good as full hydro but still good.  It’s not on/off as some people make hybrid brakes out to be.

UPDATE: I guess the pads just took an ungodly amount of time to actually bed properly.
The braking power on these have significantly improved.  I don't know what is considered good, as I otherwise use fully contaminated v-brakes on my other bike, but I can go from 40kph to 0 in roughly a car length.

At higher speeds (40kph+) they stop faster than rim, and about the same at lower speeds (<30kph).  Haven’t ridden in the rain with them, but I’m sure they’ll be infinitely better than rim in the wet.

Honestly, I don’t know why I was hoping for.  They don’t blow me away, but I guess with brakes boring predictability is a good thing.

Are they any better than the Zrace ?

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 04:36:30 PM »

Are they any better than the Zrace ?

Hey there,

I couldn't say, as I haven't tried the ZRACE.
Here is a review of the ZRACE and Juin F1s.
The GTs are better than the F1s.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go for the F1s, as the GTs just feel like overkill for typical road cycling (no prolonged descents). Confidence inspiring in rush hour traffic though

StiffWeenies

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
Has anyone tried the ZOOM HB105 flat mount or HB100 post mount brake yet? Seems to be a bit better than the generic ZRACE/ZTTO/other branded offering but of course is probably worse than the JUIN 2 piston. Interestingly enough, the general mechanism does seem to be rather inspired by the JUIN 2 piston including the +20mm bolt hole spacing that allows for a flush mount rear calliper in 160mm applications. Pad is the standard Shimano type like the Juin too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 12:57:02 PM by StiffWeenies »

StiffWeenies

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »
Hey everyone, I just discovered a new brand called Onirii.

They are like most other brands in that they sell some rebranded bits (Onirii Attack crankset is what appears to be a rebranded Fovno Thunder Pro) but what is most interesting is that they seem to have their own brake design.

While their BR-02 brake is in its 4th design iteration according to their marketing and appears to be a rebranded ZTTO unit, their new BR-05 brake appears to be a completely new design that no one else on the market carries.

EDIT: I think I’ve solved the mystery. ZTTO brakes are outdated rebrands of Onirii designs. ZTTO’s disc brake (the one without exposed pistons) is the 3th design iteration of the Onirii BR-02 while the ZTTO rim brake is a rebrand of the Onirii BC-01 which has since been succeeded by the BC-02. Also, ZRACE has started selling the Onirii BC-02 and BR-05 as the R700 and BR-005 respectively.

EDIT 2: The Attack crankset is based on the Thunder and not the Thunder Pro as it has a 24mm spindle as opposed to 29mm DUB.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 03:14:01 PM by StiffWeenies »

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 11:17:12 PM »
Hey everyone, I just discovered a new brand called Onirii.

They are like most other brands in that they sell some rebranded bits (Onirii Attack crankset is what appears to be a rebranded Fovno Thunder Pro) but what is most interesting is that they seem to have their own brake design.

While their BR-02 brake is in its 4th design iteration according to their marketing and appears to be a rebranded ZTTO unit, their new BR-05 brake appears to be a completely new design that no one else on the market carries.

EDIT: I think I’ve solved the mystery. ZTTO brakes are outdated rebrands of Onirii designs. ZTTO’s disc brake (the one without exposed pistons) is the 3th design iteration of the Onirii BR-02 while the ZTTO rim brake is a rebrand of the Onirii BC-01 which has since been succeeded by the BC-02. Also, ZRACE has started selling the Onirii BC-02 and BR-05 as the R700 and BR-005 respectively.

Not sure I understand, it is better to look at Onirii then?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:42 PM »
Not sure I understand, it is better to look at Onirii then?

There are multiple design iterations, at least with Onirii you’d be sure that you’re getting the latest one because they detail the differences in their product listings on Taobao. That being said, I’ve never bought or used anything from them so take what I write with a grain of salt. I don’t know if they actually perform well or not.

Regarding the versions with exposed pistons, it seems like that was actually the 2nd generation design done by a company called IIIPRO who produced them until Onirii took over the project.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:07:17 AM by StiffWeenies »

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 01:55:03 AM »
...Regarding the versions with exposed pistons, it seems like that was actually the 2nd generation design done by a company called IIIPRO who produced them until Onirii took over the project.

I'm impressed. How do you find that much details about it ?