Author Topic: Juin Tech GT-F brake calipers (dual piston)  (Read 11012 times)

carbonazza

Re: Juin Tech GT-F brake calipers (dual piston)
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2022, 03:01:46 AM »
...Your GT-F is hands down the best hydromechanical option on the market, so it'll for sure be a downgrade in terms of performance.
Just because of the double pistons or there are other design advantages ?

1Sigma

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2022, 05:21:01 AM »
Yeah the quirky mixed branding (Onirii facing outwards to NDS, IIIPRO facing inwards) is normal on the Onirii BR-05.

Your GT-F is hands down the best hydromechanical option on the market, so it'll for sure be a downgrade in terms of performance.

Performance aside, what about the aesthetic? Photos attached.

Better than average - Extra Average

StiffWeenies

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2022, 07:22:08 AM »
Performance aside, what about the aesthetic? Photos attached.

I think both look great

Just because of the double pistons or there are other design advantages ?

Yeah my thinking here is a bit simplistic but surely 4 is better than 2

cramy

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2022, 07:32:10 AM »
Mine just came in the mail. Interested what your take is on these.
They are branded Onirii on one side, IIIPRO on the other.
They come with pads installed, so I haven’t checked the seals yet.

For comparison, they are 37g heavier than the Juin Tech GT-F for the same 160mm setup.
So torn.  Giving up 37g and dual piston calipers for colour coordination…

Giving up 37g and dual piston, but saving how much money?

1Sigma

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2022, 08:05:56 AM »
Giving up 37g and dual piston, but saving how much money?

None.  Because I already bought and have been using the GT-Fs.  Lol

But…for all of you still weighing options:
Juin Tech GT-F: $280 CAD. Natively designed for 160mm. 4-piston. Comes equipped with pads, as well as a spare set. Comes with 3 sets of bolts for different chain stays. 332g for the system including mounting hardware
Available on AliExpress

Onirii BR-05: $125 CAD (for 160mm version). Natively designed for 140mm. 2-piston. Comes equipped with pads. Comes with 3 sets of bolts for different chain stays. Comes with some cable crimps. Comes with 160mm adapters.
369g for the system including mounting hardware.
As of posting, only available on Taobao.

A note on Taobao: It can be used internationally, but you need to be able to read Chinese, or have a friend who does. It accepts international credit cards, and shops internationally - at least the vendor I bought the calipers from did.

Buying is a two-step process. First you need to buy the item. This gets you domestic shipping (free in my case) to the nearest port in China.
Once it arrives, you receive a notification to arrange international shipping.  If you bought a bunch of stuff on Taobao, you can wait for items to aggregate at the port and have them shipped together. If you have a ton of stuff, you can arrange things to be shipped by ocean freight (at least as far as I could tell)
Most of us will just get Cainiao shipping (or whatever retail option is available). This cost me $40CAD and is included in the price above.
If you don’t pay, the item just sits at the port. I don’t know what happens if you let it sit there forever.

Then, you can sit back and wait for the package to arrive.  All in, it took about 3 weeks from purchase to door for me.

1Sigma

stagedive

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2022, 08:29:17 AM »
so my BR-05 arrived (also got the ONIRII ones). Couldn't test them yet though.

Bad news:they do not use K03S/K05S pads. Ordered them online and they (K05S) are not as wide as the ones that come with the BR-05.
Good news: local bike shop got a part restock and the G03S fit.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:31:16 AM by stagedive »

ChrisB

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2022, 04:10:18 PM »
Did anybody try replacing break pads on the Onirii BR-05 or Zrace BR-005?
Seems to me that the suggested Shimano G03S are too wide to fit?

I made the practical test and took out the existing pads and could not fit G03S compatible pads since they are too wide.
Instead I found a reference that the BR-05 / BR-005 uses Brake Pads for SRAM DB1 DB3 DB5 SRAM LEVEL T/TLM.
Would like to try some other pads to see if break power can be improved.

Correction:
I measured the break pads installed in my Zrace BR-005 with following values: Height 29.5mm / Width 26.5mm / Pad only height 16.5mm
Result: Should be K04S compatible so ordered some Cooma BP944ExPlus-RS805 to try:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000220934631.html

Here pictures of original pads on left and new Cooma pads on right:

After almost 1000km of comparing the Juintech F1 to the Zrace BR-005 the Juintech F1 clearly wins in terms of break bower and low heat fading.
So any improvements by changing the break pads would be a bonus.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:30:24 AM by ChrisB »

s3si1u

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2022, 06:23:47 PM »
So far I am running both the Juintech F1's and the BR-005 with the original pads that came on delivery.
I am also wondering what improvements could be achieved experimenting with different pads...
Hopefully somebody can share some experience with different break pads and make some recommendations.

BR Chris

I'm a bit late to the party! But I did actually run my F1s with Shimano metal pads. When I switched over to the M06 metal pads I immediately felt an improvement. I didn't run this brake set for very long tbh. I quickly switched to a hydraulic system because fully internal routing+cable disc brakes got me into some sketchy situations almost immediately, but the difference in stopping power between the M06 and the stock pads was undeniable. Not up to par with my SRAM hydros, but much better than with stock pads. The metal pads stopped quicker but also produced more noise, though not enough to bother me.
Maybe the braking performance would be much better on another bike where the cables don't run through the bars or headset...I should give them another shot on a bike that doesn't route cables like this, maybe on the gravel bike?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 08:51:57 PM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

ChrisB

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2022, 01:06:09 AM »
Maybe the braking performance would be much better on another bike where the cables don't run through the bars or headset...I should give them another shot on a bike that doesn't route cables like this, maybe on the gravel bike?

I can confirm your suspicion, paired with compressionless cable housings and non integrated routing (allowing gentle routing radius), the brakes feel excellent and offer great stopping power. With the Juintech F1's I am really happy but the BR-05 / BR-005 could need some extra bite, so other break pads are on the way to test.  ;D

BR Chris
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 01:21:13 AM by ChrisB »

ChrisB

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2022, 04:27:02 PM »
so my BR-05 arrived (also got the ONIRII ones). Couldn't test them yet though.

Bad news:they do not use K03S/K05S pads. Ordered them online and they (K05S) are not as wide as the ones that come with the BR-05.
Good news: local bike shop got a part restock and the G03S fit.

Is it possible that there is a difference in break pads between the Onirii BR-05 and the Zrace BR-005?
My measurements on the Zrace BR-005 version show smaller break pads with size K04S / K05S.
Any confirmation would be helpful.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:30:52 PM by ChrisB »

diefobo

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2022, 07:19:01 AM »
None.  Because I already bought and have been using the GT-Fs.  Lol

But…for all of you still weighing options:
Juin Tech GT-F: $280 CAD. Natively designed for 160mm. 4-piston. Comes equipped with pads, as well as a spare set. Comes with 3 sets of bolts for different chain stays. 332g for the system including mounting hardware
Available on AliExpress

Onirii BR-05: $125 CAD (for 160mm version). Natively designed for 140mm. 2-piston. Comes equipped with pads. Comes with 3 sets of bolts for different chain stays. Comes with some cable crimps. Comes with 160mm adapters.
369g for the system including mounting hardware.
As of posting, only available on Taobao.

A note on Taobao: It can be used internationally, but you need to be able to read Chinese, or have a friend who does. It accepts international credit cards, and shops internationally - at least the vendor I bought the calipers from did.

Buying is a two-step process. First you need to buy the item. This gets you domestic shipping (free in my case) to the nearest port in China.
Once it arrives, you receive a notification to arrange international shipping.  If you bought a bunch of stuff on Taobao, you can wait for items to aggregate at the port and have them shipped together. If you have a ton of stuff, you can arrange things to be shipped by ocean freight (at least as far as I could tell)
Most of us will just get Cainiao shipping (or whatever retail option is available). This cost me $40CAD and is included in the price above.
If you don’t pay, the item just sits at the port. I don’t know what happens if you let it sit there forever.

Then, you can sit back and wait for the package to arrive.  All in, it took about 3 weeks from purchase to door for me.

Any side by side comparison between Juin Tech GT-F and Onirii BR-05?

1Sigma

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2022, 04:15:34 PM »
Any side by side comparison between Juin Tech GT-F and Onirii BR-05?

Unfortunately not, I ended up selling the BR-005s.
From what I hear, they are similar to the Juin Tech F1s, which are the single piston version of the GTs.
If that is the case, it is fair to say the GTs are better but more than twice the price. But I would go out on a limb though and say I doubt the GTs are twice as good.

The F1s and BR-005s will work just fine for almost any type of riding and rider you can throw at them

ChrisB

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2022, 08:55:53 AM »
Unfortunately not, I ended up selling the BR-005s.
From what I hear, they are similar to the Juin Tech F1s, which are the single piston version of the GTs.
If that is the case, it is fair to say the GTs are better but more than twice the price. But I would go out on a limb though and say I doubt the GTs are twice as good.

The F1s and BR-005s will work just fine for almost any type of riding and rider you can throw at them

My long term experience with the Juintech F1 vs. the Zerace/Oniri BR-005 are as follows:
Juintech F1's: Excellent braking power even at longer descents down Alpine pass roads with original break pads
Zerace BR-005: Weaker break power with original break pads, after changing to alternative resin break pads much improved... still a bit behind the Juintech F1's.
General recommendation: Make sure to use compreissionless break housings and prevent tight bends (internal routing) for good break power and feel.

BR Chris