Author Topic: DT 240EXP hub clones Goldix, Venfort  (Read 28229 times)

d3xophen

Re: DT 240EXP hub clones Goldix, Venfort
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 12:12:51 PM »
I have many experiences with Chinese ratchet hubs. Their built-in bearings are bad. Some are bad at first before use. Some became bad after using 2-3 months (600-900 km) and need to replace. I think their bearings are not water-resistant.
So, my suggestions are
- put lubricants before start using.
- and if it goes bad after using it for a while, replace it with a good-quality one. (Though you replaced new bearing, it still cheaper)
for 60t clone ratchet, I have no issue with so far.

MovinMamba

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2022, 04:23:14 AM »
So anyone got any updates or experiences with Gold Dix road hubs? I'm thinking of trying to lace my own wheel for the first time and wondering if this is a good place to start.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2022, 04:25:16 AM »
I can recommend the Novatec hubs. About the same price as Goldix.

wwnero

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2022, 11:48:43 AM »
I can recommend the Novatec hubs. About the same price as Goldix.

Which novatec hubs do you recommend? The 411/412 that I see for a lot of builds or something else? Also how much are you paying for the hub set?

I’m thinking I may just “splurge” and get a set of dt 350 straight pull. Seems like they can be found around $250CAD (180usd) and given that the goldix hubs will likely need bearing replacement in a short while there probably wouldn’t be too much savings.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2022, 08:50:31 AM »
I have the 411/412 and the 791/792. Generally they are not that much different. The 411/412 are straightpull and lighter but the general build is about the same... I mostly buy on ali when there are sales but they are now about 95€ and 125€.

Vipassana

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2022, 03:14:31 PM »
I'm 2 for 3 on Novatec 792 driver failure.  The internal ratchet/toothed ring in the hub shattered on 2 of the 3 wheelsets I built with them.  Bother were replaced with DT350 hubs without issue.  I will say they were 2014 vintage 792s so maybe the design has improved since then.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:05:02 AM by Vipassana »

kbike

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2022, 07:32:21 PM »
I have the 771-772 hubs. Novatec is mix and match with a lot of their models.  the qr, thru axles, hg/xd(r) hubs swap the same for 772, 792, and 412 for the hubs. The front 771 and 792 aren't the same. I haven't messed with my 411/412 enough to know what's all swap-able.

old little guide I found
http://www.nguide.eu/faq/evolution-d771sb-and-xd611sb

jannmayer

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2023, 08:43:00 AM »
I finally built up my wheels with the Goldix 240 hubs. I wasn't able to mount the brake rotor on the front wheel though. The Centerlock ring appeared to bottom out before the reaching the rotor. I never felt it engage the notches on the rotor and I could wiggle the rotor a bit. I tried a new Tektro rotor and the old Shimano rotor I had been using on my old wheelset and both had the same result. (On my old wheelset, with Shimano hubs, the notches engage shortly after the Centerlock ring becomes too tight to turn by hand.)

Anyone else run into an issue like this? Is this a defective hub, or are there workarounds?

carbonazza

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2023, 11:51:29 AM »
I finally built up my wheels with the Goldix 240 hubs. I wasn't able to mount the brake rotor on the front wheel though. The Centerlock ring appeared to bottom out before the reaching the rotor. I never felt it engage the notches on the rotor and I could wiggle the rotor a bit. I tried a new Tektro rotor and the old Shimano rotor I had been using on my old wheelset and both had the same result. (On my old wheelset, with Shimano hubs, the notches engage shortly after the Centerlock ring becomes too tight to turn by hand.)

Anyone else run into an issue like this? Is this a defective hub, or are there workarounds?

A picture of the problem would help.

jannmayer

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »
It appears that the anodizing on the front hub was causing the issue. I tried screwing in the lock ring without the rotor and it became difficult to turn well before it was screwed in all the way. I tightened and untightened it a few times and was able to get it farther in, so I think it just needed to clear the threads. I was able to tighten the rotor down, but I'll put a paint witness mark so I can see if it works loose.

No issues with the rear hub.

Now I just need to wait for the longer valve stems. I'm very eager to test out my first wheels and see how much of difference they make!

Patch64

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2023, 06:26:46 AM »
Hello, do you know if it does exist in 32 holes?
Thanks

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2023, 06:52:19 AM »
It appears that the anodizing on the front hub was causing the issue. I tried screwing in the lock ring without the rotor and it became difficult to turn well before it was screwed in all the way. I tightened and untightened it a few times and was able to get it farther in, so I think it just needed to clear the threads. I was able to tighten the rotor down, but I'll put a paint witness mark so I can see if it works loose.

No issues with the rear hub.

Now I just need to wait for the longer valve stems. I'm very eager to test out my first wheels and see how much of difference they make!

I had the same problem! Luckily I was building my wheels at the college bike shop and the grizzled tech there just got me a longer wrench and encouraged me to go for it. With a little more leverage I was able to fully tighten my front brake. Overall, the hubs looks good. I'll post after I put some miles on them.

jannmayer

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2023, 06:40:59 PM »
I have about 20 miles on the wheelset I built up with Goldix 240 hubs and elite rims. No issues with the hubs, and the wheels seem to be holding up pretty well so far. This was my first wheel build, so I'm taking it fairly easy on them for a bit.

I am enjoying the 920 g weight saving over my old rims though!

Sebastian

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2023, 04:26:46 AM »
I'm 2 for 3 on Novatec 792 driver failure.  The internal ratchet/toothed ring in the hub shattered on 2 of the 3 wheelsets I built with them.  Bother were replaced with DT350 hubs without issue.  I will say they were 2014 vintage 792s so maybe the design has improved since then.

I built two wheelsets with 791/792 Novatecs. Bought them on Ali during the last two years. Both have been bulletproof so far. I like that they are easily convertible. One of the wheelsets has been used with thru axle and now it’s in a frame with QR dropouts. The other wheelset has been used with Shimano freehub. Then with Sram XDR and now with a Campagnolo N3W freehub and an Ekar groupset. This flexibility is a huge plus with Novatec hubs IMO. I have however had freehub bearings fail prematurely particularly on Novatec freehub bodies.

capttowers

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:21 AM »
I built up a 29er wheelset with the Venfort ratchet hubs. After replacing the original 60t ratchet (it failed) the wheels have been really good. Here is a video about my initial experience.