Author Topic: Decals on a blank canvas  (Read 1307 times)

Jnewman

Decals on a blank canvas
« on: September 29, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi all,

I recently ordered a Velobuild 086 D (everything going well so far) without a paintjob so it's all black. Has anyone installed any Decals at home? I'm looking for some inspiration, I really like the clean black look but hoping for a few small simple decals.

Thanks in advance!

olajosgatya

Re: Decals on a blank canvas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
I am also thinking of going down the same route (single base colour + stickers). I have recently found https://www.dyedbro.com/. They sell custom printed frame protectors and have a couple of designs I like. But they can also print something personalised too.

These are not particularly small so I am not sure if you had something like this in mind. But I thought I will share it in case someone does look for something similar. :D

jokage

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 09:13:10 PM »
I took inspirations from Wilier because they look elegant.

Here's what I've done with my matte black VB R-168, all with white vinyl cuts:

- headtube. I put a logo of a certain band there.
- downtube, upper-side, near the BB. Info about the model of the frame (VB-R-168)
- toptube, near the seatpost. My personal branding.

I am still thinking to put extra details for the fork and seatstays, like Wilier's, to add visibility when riding very early in the morning.

Jnewman

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 02:40:10 AM »
I am also thinking of going down the same route (single base colour + stickers). I have recently found https://www.dyedbro.com/. They sell custom printed frame protectors and have a couple of designs I like. But they can also print something personalised too.

These are not particularly small so I am not sure if you had something like this in mind. But I thought I will share it in case someone does look for something similar. :D
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll take a look

Jnewman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 02:42:16 AM »
I took inspirations from Wilier because they look elegant.

Here's what I've done with my matte black VB R-168, all with white vinyl cuts:

- headtube. I put a logo of a certain band there.
- downtube, upper-side, near the BB. Info about the model of the frame (VB-R-168)
- toptube, near the seatpost. My personal branding.

I am still thinking to put extra details for the fork and seatstays, like Wilier's, to add visibility when riding very early in the morning.
Sounds great, you'll have to post a picture! I'll have a look at Willier to get some inspiration.

jokage

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 05:35:01 AM »
Sounds great, you'll have to post a picture!

Not much to see to be honest.

Jnewman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 05:45:31 AM »
Looks great! Thanks for sharing

jannmayer

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 10:12:35 AM »

Looks great! Fully approve of the logo!

FHS

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 11:29:54 AM »

Really clean! Well done!

Nickk2000

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »
Ive put decals on and make sure u KILL it with clearcoat to prevent it coming off and to give it a close to smooth finish.
This, or apply the decals, paint over it, and remove the decals, it will make the bike not blck but say i wanted red with white decals, paint whole bike white (or decal area ofc) apply decals, then spray the rest of the bike.

jstrawks

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 06:35:20 PM »
Ive put decals on and make sure u KILL it with clearcoat to prevent it coming off and to give it a close to smooth finish.
This, or apply the decals, paint over it, and remove the decals, it will make the bike not blck but say i wanted red with white decals, paint whole bike white (or decal area ofc) apply decals, then spray the rest of the bike.

What kind of clearcoat do you recommend, and applied how?

Nickk2000

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
Just used transfer tape.

And i used 2x, was like $7 from home depot. 1x doesnt sit as well but 2x it has to be outside, toxic fumes. Had to show my id lol.

I have the decals on my bike right now and looking back i should paint them on.