Author Topic: Which crankset fits BB92 Bottom bracket for AM831?  (Read 1606 times)

deucelee

Which crankset fits BB92 Bottom bracket for AM831?
« on: November 13, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Hey guys,

I feel like this shouldn't be that hard! I'm still newb'ish at this bike building and this will be my first full build. Not finding any concrete answers on google searches.

Looking to see if I can fit a "Shimano XT FC-M8000" into a BB92 bottom bracket for a AM831.  Not seeing any 165mm options for this so this is a 170mm

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-xt-fc-m8000-1x-crank-arms?CMP_SKU=SHI009A&MER=0406&skid=SHI009A-BK-S170MM

What am I able to do?

I'd love to use this 165mm Race Face one too if that's possible ==> https://www.amazon.com/RaceFace-Aeffect-Crank-165mm-24mm/dp/B07FP3S278

Do I need to buy this specific 24mm BB92 Bottom bracket to work with the Race Face 165mm crankset? ==> https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-xt-bb-mt800-pa-bottom-bracket?skid=SHI008V-PREFIT-ONESIZ&CMP_SKU=SHI008V
thanks!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:25:46 AM by deucelee »

Confused

Re: Which crankset fits BB92 Bottom bracket for AM831?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:09:49 PM »
Any bb92 bottom bracket for 22mm cranks will work for what you need. Shimano and RaceFace will both work with those BBs.  The ZTTO screw together BB92 is a decent one, especially if replacing the bearings.  A Shimano XT BB92 will only be $20-30 if you want to go that direction. 

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 01:47:32 AM »
Probably the best option is a thread-together BB92, like the one Wheels Mfg makes. Reduces your chances of creaking. The only reason to get a regular press-fit is because they can accommodate a 30mm crank, whereas thread-together BBs are limited to 24mm.

Confused

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
This is the ZTTO one we referenced https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023047002.html

emu26

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 01:43:04 PM »
This is the ZTTO one we referenced https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023047002.html

Just a warning that some people may find this BB too wide for their cranks.  The flanges are wider than "branded" stuff and the double lipped plastic washer adds more width to the point that the crank arm doesn't engage the spindle enough.  You could get by with it but I wasn't happy with the insertion depth and swapped out bb's.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 01:31:54 AM »
Just a warning that some people may find this BB too wide for their cranks.  The flanges are wider than "branded" stuff and the double lipped plastic washer adds more width to the point that the crank arm doesn't engage the spindle enough.  You could get by with it but I wasn't happy with the insertion depth and swapped out bb's.

I ordered the ceramic bearing model just to see if I could make it work since the Wheels Mfg version costs over 3X as much (and that’s with metal bearings); what cranks did you have an issue with?

I wonder if that’s the kind of thing that wouldn’t be a problem with a direct mount cinch ring type crank that has a little extra space built into it for the cinch to take up….a lot of 24mm cranks don’t use
cinch rings and only have the crank bolt so they don’t have that extra couple mm of space built in.

emu26

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 02:04:04 AM »
Sorry FCA I know this is going to sound stupid but I don't remember, I can't even remember exactly which bike it was on at the time. I have a now 15 yr old and between frames he has broken, changes in riding ability / discipline, growth spurts and a new FM 10 for me I have built 5 bikes in the last 2 years.  I remember I swapped out to genuine SRAM BB and cranks and was much happier, possibly adding to your theory.

I did post about it at the time so that may have something in it there.  I'll see what I can find.

Edit:  http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3037.msg24994.html#msg24994

from this thread  http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3037.0.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 02:06:41 AM by emu26 »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
Looks like current Shimano (for boost at least) direct mount 68/73 should fit fine according to that thread….fingers crossed.

emu26

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 02:33:29 PM »
Looks like current Shimano (for boost at least) direct mount 68/73 should fit fine according to that thread….fingers crossed.

I might be confused and misunderstand this comment but I just want to clarify the comment and thread I linked above has nothing to do with the BB or cranks needed for the 831.  I don't own an 831 so can't advise, sorry.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 03:00:27 PM »
I might be confused and misunderstand this comment but I just want to clarify the comment and thread I linked above has nothing to do with the BB or cranks needed for the 831.  I don't own an 831 so can't advise, sorry.

Whether it’s for the 831 or not shouldn’t matter in this case….the thread I’m talking about discusses the thread-together ZTTO BB86/92 bottom bracket and the issue of crank axle length compatibility. The 831 has a BB92 shell so this is relevant for anyone who wants to prevent the issue of press-fit BB creaking on an 831 or other BB92 frames.

emu26

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 05:50:10 PM »
No problem, just didn't want you buying the wrong stuff because I said something in a way that was confusing.

Don't forget to post up pics of your build when you are done.

deucelee

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 06:51:46 AM »
Guys,

This one already comes with a threaded BB but would the crankset work with a press fit BB92 bottom bracket?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XQRJXY

thx!

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
Guys,

This one already comes with a threaded BB but would the crankset work with a press fit BB92 bottom bracket?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082XQRJXY

thx!

Yes, that should work with any BB that supports a 24mm crank axle.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 02:32:14 PM »
Different cranks use different axle sizes and different BB attach to the frame differently depending on the standard which also specifies the BB outside diameter. So a normal PF92 BB has a 24mm axle and will work with any Shimano crank or that has a 24mm axle. There are other standards that are bigger and take a bigger axle which is usually stiffer. There are some aftermarket companies that make a BB for a certain standard but that accepts a bigger axle. The only problem is there is less room for the bearings so they have to be thinner and are normally less durable.

The ZTTO thread together BB for PF92 is wider than a normal one which would probably be an issue with a standard crank with a 52mm chainline. But a Boost crank with a 55mm chainline has an axle that is slightly longer and is what I used. With a Shimano crank, they specify to use a spacer on each side of the frame and this made the axle not long enough so I removed one spacer on the drive side which placed the crank as close to the frame as I would want and about perfect. The other side fit on the splines as intended and worked well for the AM831 frame. The crank uses one less spacer which with the extra bb width, moved the crank in roughly 1.5-2 mm VS the non drive side but I don't think anyone would be able to feel this. It also moved the crank as close to the frame as I would be comfortable with which gives it the best chainline possible which is also good. For reference, a 32T chainring has 4 or 5 mm of clearance with the frame at the tip of the teeth which is normally the closest point. However, the Shimano rings have a screw or rivet head that attaches the ring to a permanent spider which only has about 1.5mm of clearance but is closer to the BB and I think will be fine with any normal flexing. An aftermarket ring that's all one piece would give more clearance where the tips of the teeth would be the closest point.

Anyways, sorry for rambling but I dealt with this exact setup. Also, there are obviously other issues with the frame and I would advise anyone to wait until it's updated. I've only been able to ride mine around the yard and has sat in a work stand for over a month. In addition to the bad upper link design, the derailleur hanger is outside of Sram specs for 12 speed. Mine won't shift anywhere near acceptable but it sounds like most are OK with the shifting but I have to think it would be better with a correctly designed hanger. A few others have mentioned shifting problems but the other problems are getting all the attention and I don't think anything is going to be done about the hanger. I emailed Eddy over 2 months ago with pictures and the Sram technical documents showing how it's out of spec and he said it was sent to the "engineers" and every time I ask he hasn't heard of anything. I really want to like the bike but even with an updated rear end, it's just art if it won't shift correctly. I'm probably going to order a Carbonda FM1002 and maybe one day all the issues will get worked out of this frame, but now I'm really rambling...

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 02:45:52 PM »
After everything you (and others) have dealt with regarding the 831, you’ve earned the right to rant at length! The whole saga seems incredibly frustrating for a frame that *looks* like such an advanced design.

I’m almost definitely getting a 1002 unless $3K+ drops in my lap to get a branded high pivot 29er enduro frame before the spring…it really does seem like the best unbranded option out there now in its class and I’m a big time “Princess and the Pea” about having everything set up just right so between me and the other 1002 owners you’ll have plenty of support in getting a headache-free experience out of it.