Author Topic: Velobuild GF-002  (Read 18660 times)

coffeebreak

Re: Velobuild GF-002
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2022, 02:40:51 AM »
To further make matters worse, I like GF-002's geometry over 707. I guess you can't have everything.

Just an update to this. Placed an order for GF-002. I liked the fact that you can have separate bar/stem and still hide cables neatly (or nearly). Besides the geometry of GF-002 is more my cup of tea.

Now the wait begins!

Serge_K

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2022, 03:30:33 PM »
The GF-003 is out, it seems!

NoGrip61

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 02:49:04 PM »
The GF-003 is out, it seems!
Yes!  I have been frame shopping and modelled up a quick comparison between the 3 I'm looking at.  The GF-003 seems more mountain-bike-like with a shorter chain stay, higher stack, and a slacker front/HA.  It also has a threaded BB, which is nice.

Their IG post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkbuzBByXTl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(PS: first time poster, long time lurker)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 03:16:54 PM by NoGrip61 »

carbonazza

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
Yes!  I have been frame shopping and modeled up a quick comparison between the 3 I'm looking at...

Nice ! What software did you use to draw them ?

Serge_K

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2022, 06:33:16 AM »
Yes!  I have been frame shopping and modelled up a quick comparison between the 3 I'm looking at.  The GF-003 seems more mountain-bike-like with a shorter chain stay, higher stack, and a slacker front/HA.  It also has a threaded BB, which is nice.

Their IG post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CkbuzBByXTl/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(PS: first time poster, long time lurker)

That is super helpful! From your drawing, the difference in stack appears very small, but it's actually an 18mm difference (608vs590). But on the wheelbase (what VB calls "G") difference is 611vs626, 15mm, but on your drawing it looks bigger? Are you sure your drawing is accurate, are my eyes lying to me?

NoGrip61

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2022, 02:31:10 PM »
Does anyone have a good ride review to share on the GF-002?  I have been reading some feedback on YouTube on VB's road bikes that they feel "sluggish" and am wondering if they are similar.

Nice ! What software did you use to draw them ?
NX, with the sketch tool

That is super helpful! From your drawing, the difference in stack appears very small, but it's actually an 18mm difference (608vs590). But on the wheelbase (what VB calls "G") difference is 611vs626, 15mm, but on your drawing it looks bigger? Are you sure your drawing is accurate, are my eyes lying to me?
Yes, they're correct to the website.  G is the Front-Center, or BB to front axle.  They may be lol; the frames are aligned to the BB, so it shows off their differences more.  It'd be easier to see the WB if I aligned them from the rear axle.

It's hard to see, but the 003's rear axle is similar to the Carbonda.  I also mis-stated the head angle: it's actually 0.5 steeper than the 002... but that's negligible really.

(effective) Wheelbase measurements for size Large (within 1-2mm):
002: 1037.12mm
003: 1044.39mm
707: 1053.42mm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 02:37:30 PM by NoGrip61 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2022, 10:09:27 PM »
On GF002's fork, what is this crown (first pic below) supposed to do and can I make do without it? I'm seeing that it doesn't actually sit flush with the fork base whereas the bearing is a perfect fit. Can't I just omit this crown and insert fork into head tube?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:11:09 PM by coffeebreak »

Serge_K

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2022, 08:04:21 AM »
Does anyone have a good ride review to share on the GF-002?  I have been reading some feedback on YouTube on VB's road bikes that they feel "sluggish" and am wondering if they are similar.

That guy sounds super happy, and his brother has a 168 who's also super happy.

And the owner of the DNR SHREDD paint job on this forum, i think, is also v happy with his.

I've never ridden a gravel bike and i m absolutely useless on a MTB, but I suspect that with the volume of air in the tyres, stiffness differences and the likes must be pretty hard to discern? So it's probably down to components, geometry and sizing quite a bit. Geometry must matter a great deal because a slack touring gravel is going to ride v different from an aggressive CX bike (I can imagine long moments of solitude going down rocky trails on a CX frame).

hazzer19

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2022, 10:16:56 AM »

And the owner of the DNR SHREDD paint job on this forum, i think, is also v happy with his.

Yes I can confirm, still very happy with the GF-002. It's a bit more relaxed than my GF-001, but for gravel that's not a bad thing. I just mounted fenders for the first time on this frame as it's that time of year here, and having the additional fork eyelets is really nice as I had a bit of a hack job on the GF-001. Definitely intrigued by the GF-003 and CX-002 as well, although the lack of fender mounts on the CX-002 may be a dealbreaker for me.

Serge_K

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »

Yes I can confirm, still very happy with the GF-002. It's a bit more relaxed than my GF-001, but for gravel that's not a bad thing. I just mounted fenders for the first time on this frame as it's that time of year here, and having the additional fork eyelets is really nice as I had a bit of a hack job on the GF-001. Definitely intrigued by the GF-003 and CX-002 as well, although the lack of fender mounts on the CX-002 may be a dealbreaker for me.

What's your take on the geometry difference / best use cases for the GF002 vs GF003?

I see you also have a 168. Given the 2x you have on the gravel, how do you think the bike would feel as a substitude for a road bike if you put road wheels on it? I'm thinking of buying a GF2 or 3 instead of a 177, but most of my riding is still going to be on the road so i'd like something capable.

What wheelset are you running? It looks quite deep, and pretty awesome. Most gravel wheelsets are pretty shallow.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 06:23:25 PM by Serge_K »

hazzer19

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
What's your take on the geometry difference / best use cases for the GF002 vs GF003?

I see you also have a 168. Given the 2x you have on the gravel, how do you think the bike would feel as a substitude for a road bike if you put road wheels on it? I'm thinking of buying a GF2 or 3 instead of a 177, but most of my riding is still going to be on the road so i'd like something capable.

What wheelset are you running? It looks quite deep, and pretty awesome. Most gravel wheelsets are pretty shallow.

Here's a breakdown of all three VB gravel frames from my pov.

I would say the GF-001 is for someone that wants to go faster either on gravel or on slicks for commuting. I've run 28's on it and it felt pretty zippy. I've also seen someone with a really nice light build they used for competitive CX racing: shorturl.at/glY59

The GF-002 would probably be better for more chunky gravel and technical stuff if you're into single track. It has way more mounts (under the down tube, fork, front and rear fender eyelets) so great for bike packing/touring. It also uses a standard 27.2 seatpost which is important for some.

As to geometry differences between the GF-002 and GF-003 (because it has a lot of the features the GF-003 has), here is a comparison tool I loaded with the dimensions for a medium listed on VB's site: shorturl.at/jlxNZ Use the Swap Bikes button to go between the two.

Wheels on my GF-002 are 40mm CSC tubeless. Not too many gravel builds with deeper wheels, but it's fun haha

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:33:22 PM by hazzer19 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2022, 02:33:33 AM »
True. ICAN has a specific model in their Aero line-up that's wide and deep (45mm I think) for gravel. All other Aeros are thin, for road.

coffeebreak

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
BB and crankset installation day and a bit confused what is the ideal way. Those who have front derailleur installed, how have you routed the cable - under the BB or over the BB (pic 1 vs 2)?

Also, these two grommets/narrow mouthed hoses in third picture that came with the frame (noticing just now) where they are supposed to go? The longer one looks like cable stop but not sure.

coffeebreak

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2022, 03:29:31 AM »
Confirmed that the two small parts are cable stops/guides for front derailleur. But I wasn't able to utilize them and received this answer "You can use either one" from Chris for my detailed questions and back and forth over the email. None of those nozzles fit tightly into the hole for cable.
Decided not to use those and hack something else to fit. From the local hardware store I bought 3 parts.

1. A rubber grommet.
2. A small flanged spacer
3. A slightly bigger flanged spacer than above.

The spacers are sized such that the smaller one inserts into bigger one and since both of them are flanged, my idea was to sandwich frame material between the two.
It worked perfectly.

Basically the larger spacer went into the hole from inside the frame with little circus and then I inserted the smaller one along with the rubber grommer into the bigger one which was now sticking out from the frame.

This created a nice tight guide for the cable and also closed any gap around the spacers.

hazzer19

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
Nice work on finding a solution! Part of the process...