Author Topic: Velobuild GF-002  (Read 18659 times)

Cth

Velobuild GF-002
« on: November 18, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »
Does anybody have the Velobuild GF-002 and can comment on build quality, tire clearance, and actual frame weight?
http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/2021-velobuild-carbon-fiber-integrated-gravel-bike-frame-hidden-cables

…The same frame (open mold) is sold elsewhere as an Airwolf or Yao Flying YFR045, although different weights and tire clearances are claimed.

Interestingly, although it’s obviously a totally different frame, the geometry appears to be identical to the Carbonda CFR-696!

Cth

Re: Velobuild GF-002
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »
Ok, as nobody seems to have this frame (or is willing to admit it ;)), I will ask a few new questions: Does anybody have any opinions about this frame or know who the actual manufacturer is? I assume Velobuild is just a distributor.
Cheers,

jannmayer

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:03:46 AM »
I'd be inclined to skip the internal cable routing and go with the proven CFR696. It might be a bit more expensive, but they have a good reputation and there are lots of people who've built them.

hazzer19

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 12:38:16 PM »
For what it's worth, I've been really happy with the second hand GF-001 frame I bought locally and built up. Been thinking of upgrading to the GF-002 as well, not out of need but out of want  ;D

Txapa80

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 04:28:02 AM »
Hello,

I recently bought the same frame but made by Lightcarbon, not sure what is the difference in between them, but mine looks very well done,the only difference is that lightcarbon sells the bike with or without the integrated handlebar and I bought without it but with a very nice stem and spacers that hide the cables.

Unfortunately I still can't finish to build because of I'm not having too much time after my son was born, but I have to let yoy know that I'm struggling a lot with the routing of the outer cables in the area of the headset because of the small gap availale in between my stem and the spacers.

I guess the bike is designed to work with hydraulic brakes and Di2 or AXS groupsets and once I already routed all the outer cables the cables doesn't move completely free.

At the moment I removed some material of the spacers and I will give it a go as soon as I can.

If you want me to show some pictures showing wat I had to do I could attach them here but first I wanted to make sure that the mod works, otherwise I think I will have to change to a standard stem and handlebar.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 04:13:41 AM by Txapa80 »

Txapa80

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
Hi All,

I finally finished the build of the my bike.

I'm not totally happy with the feeling of the cable actuated hydraulics brakes because I had to swap the outer cables from the jagwire compression less for a cheap Clarks that were quite more flexible and allow me to fit them through the headset without kinking.

I will give a bit if time testing the bike and if the biting don't improve I will take it to the bike shop to have some advice.

A part from that during the short ride that I did to try all was working fine the bike rides very comfortable.

stumpym4

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
Just came across this YouTube video for their headset installation for VB-R-099& VB-R-168& GF-002, could be some use as details aren't the best on the net
Could be of some help

cyril_31

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:48:14 AM »
This color is superb, did you perform the paint on your own or did you ask LightCarbon to perform the painting?
Could you please give me the paint color code for this awesome blue color?

ChrisB

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 02:36:47 AM »
Hi All,

I finally finished the build of the my bike.

I'm not totally happy with the feeling of the cable actuated hydraulics brakes because I had to swap the outer cables from the jagwire compression less for a cheap Clarks that were quite more flexible and allow me to fit them through the headset without kinking.

I will give a bit if time testing the bike and if the biting don't improve I will take it to the bike shop to have some advice.

A part from that during the short ride that I did to try all was working fine the bike rides very comfortable.

Hello there, I can fully understand your point.
Using the compressionless Jagwire cable makes a huge difference.
Last year I built a bike for my GF and was not aware of this fact and used cheap outer cables with the steel coil.
Result was an unsatisfying feeling when breaking that needed way too much force. Additionally the ZTTO brake callipers where not working well.
As a result she got an upgrade to Shimano full Hydraulic.

For my new build I went with Jagwire compressionless and made sure there were no tight curves in the routing, which may be challenging for all internal cabling trough the hanbdlebars...
In my case the routing through the Ti frame allowed for smooth bends and the resulting break feeling is very good and quite close to hydraulic disc.
How good the break power is, needs to be confirmed during longer rides.

But don't write off the cable actuated brakes without trying compressionless...

BR Chris
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 07:56:18 AM by ChrisB »

Txapa80

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 12:02:52 AM »
This color is superb, did you perform the paint on your own or did you ask LightCarbon to perform the painting?
Could you please give me the paint color code for this awesome blue color?

Hi cyril_31,

My frame was painted by some colleagues in the painshop of my work. I honestly don't know the exact colour they used, they gave me a lot of samples and I choose the one I liked the most.
As a reference I took the blue that pinarello uses on the TT bike of Filipo Ganna, but I think my one is not so dark.

PeteyPablo

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 08:23:55 AM »
Frameset should be arriving Monday!

I’ll make sure to take some photos for all who are interested.

The build is setup around Sram axs xplr 1x etap setup.

stumpym4

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »
Was inline for same frame as well until Planet X , knocked £500 off their freerangers frames, so gone with one of those (Carbonda 696) for less than £400 :)

PeteyPablo

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 11:53:16 AM »
Frame came in yesterday. Starting the build today, everything so far looks really good. No pain build up on connection points and an etap setup should be relatively smooth.

PeteyPablo

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 10:42:56 PM »
Finished the build.

Sram etap 1x setup 42t by 10-44t.
Cable routing was straightforward, went with the integrated stem and it was a breeze.
Really happy with the paint and finish work. Frame quality beat expectation.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 02:59:58 AM »
Looks great!