Author Topic: Chasing wind-GT20 OR Airwolf YFR045 carbon Gravel frames , any experience ?  (Read 8305 times)

stumpym4

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:41:04 PM by stumpym4 »

hahel

I asked the same question earlier, got a tip that they are Velobuild GTF-02 frames, there is a thread on that framset in this forum.

ChrisB

I got my frame from CWind, I did not even realize that there is a model name.  ;)
The frame arrived well packed and the paint job is pretty good. Although the gloss is not completely even in all areas...

BR Chris

ChrisB

The build was completed with the Sensah SRX 1x11 groupset. The breaks are cable activated ZRACE BR-005 hydraulic disc.
I had an older 105 crankset lying around that I combined with a Stone 42 tooth chainring and a ZRACE 11-46 cassette.
The build went really smooth and I decided to install only semi internal cabling to prevent sharp bends on the compressionless break housings. The weight comes in at 8.7kg for the bike including pedals, bottle cages and Garmin mount.

First impressions are very good but only 150km so far...

Here some pictures:

BR Chris

stumpym4

Very Nice ... How are the brakes ? ... im waiting on my set to finish my build which uses a sensah groupset as well :) ... Although I did manage to get hold of a carbonda 696 frame for less than £400 so that's what I'm waiting to build :)

ChrisB

Very Nice ... How are the brakes ? ... im waiting on my set to finish my build which uses a sensah groupset as well :) ... Although I did manage to get hold of a carbonda 696 frame for less than £400 so that's what I'm waiting to build :)

Thank you.
Carbonda 696 sounds great - looking forward to hear from your build once your frame arrives.

Breaks are working good so far, after some testing over the weekend I really feel they are on par with the Juintech F1's installed on my other gravel bike.
Long term reliability needs to be seen....

BR Chris

kbike

I was looking at the cwind rf22 road frame for gravel.  I'm pretty sure 38mm is all the tire I'll need.  My current gravel bike can use 45mm but I've never used a tire that large in 6-7 years of having it. I mostly use 33 or 38mm on that bike. Does anyone else make this frame?

Or should I just get a gravel frame like the gf 002 or even the cr060. I don't expect to do bike packing or the grueling 300 mile events. 6hrs is my length of enjoyment. I also don't ride in the rain.

J0a_87

I’m considering the RF22 aswell.The frame is also sold as the YFR066 by (by Airwolf). I like the racy geometry w/ the room of 38c tyres. Have you found any reviews of it? Or perphaps you know a similar more well known frame?

Cheers

kbike

I ended up ordering the cr060. I hope the weight numbers are close to what topcarbon lists. If so it gives me wider tire clearance and pretty lightweight.

I tried contacting airwolf or cwind. Don't remember. I was trying to buy multiple frames and get at least better shipping. Limited responses in communications and maybe misunderstandings lost them an excellent buyer for now.

As for the rf22 or yfr066. My issue was with 490g chunky fork.  I liked the very nice color options. I was hoping to find out if it was faster gravel frame for my uses.  Or if it hit the jackpot as an all rounder.

J0a_87

I ended up ordering the cr060. I hope the weight numbers are close to what topcarbon lists. If so it gives me wider tire clearance and pretty lightweight.

I tried contacting airwolf or cwind. Don't remember. I was trying to buy multiple frames and get at least better shipping. Limited responses in communications and maybe misunderstandings lost them an excellent buyer for now.

As for the rf22 or yfr066. My issue was with 490g chunky fork.  I liked the very nice color options. I was hoping to find out if it was faster gravel frame for my uses.  Or if it hit the jackpot as an all rounder.
Thanks for the reply. I like the CR060 except the high stack (in 56). If I size down I'd have too much toe overlap.

ChrisB

Re: Chasing wind-GT20 OR Airwolf YFR045 carbon Gravel frames , any experience ?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
After my own build I was asked by a friend to build him one in matching size 52 and color of choice. This time using a full Shimano GRX groupset with Garbaruk cage for an extended gearing of 11-46.

The complete build came in at 9kg with 32mm tires and heavy steel casette and chain. The new owner is very happy with the result both in price and quality.

Here some pictures:

BR Chris

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:46:46 AM by ChrisB »

tbgallant

Thanks ChrisB, seems to be a nice build.  I'm actually eyeing up the RF22 road frame:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003914708942.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.4.6bd619db6U2gGw&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21CAD%21C%24%20832.85%21C%24%20641.29%21%21%21%21%21%402100bb5116650939510426284e15c0%2112000030561943056%21sh

It says it has 38C tire clearance.. that is enough for me!  From the pictures may even handle 40C. 

Does anybody know if this is a similar frame to other open molds?  Anybody else make this one?    Seems Chasing Wind is a decent supplier (per ChrisB's experience).  Anybody else rolled the dice on this one?

Tim

J0a_87

It’s the exact same mold as the Airwolf YFR066 (except the longer seat tube). Im also curious of there are some experiences with this frame. I’m about to pull the trigger on this one.

kbike

I've posted my build for that frame in the road bike frame section. Not getting as many days on the bike now.  So ask me what you need info on and I can either take pics or check it while riding.

I think I'll post a pic or short video of side by sides of frames.  Sometimes seeing the differences can help visually for what you need.

J0a_87

wow thanks a lot for your offer to help, really appreciate it! I just read your review in the road section and I still have a few questions  :).
- did you get the airwolf or the Cwind frame? The Cwind seems to support both 7*9 and 7*7 saddle rails ( at least that's what the ad says).
- Do you have enough space between the 38c tires and front derailleur? I want to use a road di2 FD but im not sure there's enough clearance..
- The FD cable seems to exit from the back of the seat tube, so I suppose it gets very dirty?
- How stiff is it?

I'm still not sure to get a S or M size frame. Im usually a size 55 so looks like it fits right in between. If you could do a comparison with another frame that would be great!