Author Topic: Speeder SC-R48  (Read 28247 times)

Tines

Re: Speeder SC-R48
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2023, 10:14:00 AM »
So i have received my frame as well. Looks good, brake mounts are also a bit unclean but besides that it’s fine.

I wondered about something that I am lacking experience. Firstly the headset bearings.
Did they really supply the right size? Apparently it’s fsa no42 but the gap doesn’t seem right.

Also, the cable exits below the bottom bracket don’t really make sense for anything else besides shifting cables if i look at their diameter.

the fork does sit flush with the frame however. Weird thought the bearings would have a stable fit on the fork.
Well, I’ll get to the build on the weekend I guess.
Frame without the alloy things (bottle cage bolts and the seat post thing) is around 850 for the 49 size.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:55:23 PM by Tines »

Yunglord

« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2023, 03:43:50 PM »
Hi Tines,

It does look weird! I purchased Trilobites frameset however I am out of the Country so won't be building the frame until early April at the earliest.

The top bearing should be 41.8mm and the bottom bearing 52mm is the bottom bearing too small?

Can't wait to see more pictures of the frame and your build!

Trilobite

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2023, 04:55:48 AM »
Best to check with Justin from Speeder about the headset to be sure.
Also, the cable exits below the bottom bracket don’t really make sense for anything else besides shifting cables if i look at their diameter.
What else would you route below the BB apart from shifting cables?

Have fun building up this frame  :)

Tines

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2023, 09:49:29 AM »
Justin said it was fine. The Fork utilizes a carbon crown. I’ve since seen this on other bikes too..

I built it up this weekend. It wasn’t easy, but it was also my first time building one up from scratch.
At first I went in the frame with a camera but quickly realized I have no idea what I’m looking for so I just started. I was actually surprised how smooth the BB went in, I expected noises. Again, probably because I am used to BSA. Frame looked faultless , a bit a lacquer at the brakes but besides that I did not notice anything else.

Ended up at 7.75 kg with pedals, full 105, size 49.
Had some creaking from the seat post, tried to torque it to 5 NM or something like that (the clamp says 6NM) heard a crack. Well anyway, reapplied carbon paste and clamped it again. Haven’t heard the creaking afterwards (only a short ride).

During the ride I sometimes heard rattling , not sure if it’s from the di2 cable zip ties I installed that serve no purpose or if it was the cover plate on the downtube that was loose all of a sudden.

So the thing that is left for me now is:
How should I check if that crack is an issue? I don’t really see anything unusual.  I’m not sure if it really was the seat post because that thing is massive. I couldn’t even fit the di2 battery with the pro battery holder because the walls are so thick.
I’m also a bit unsure about the FSA COMPRESSOR they’ve supplied.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 10:04:32 AM by Tines »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2023, 01:11:19 PM »
Looking very nice. I like the black of the 105 group on the black  of the frame :)

Tines

« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2023, 11:42:00 PM »
Yeah I know it’s quite basic and stealthy but I went for that look.
I have around 300 km now and i like it.
I think the ride is relatedness harsh compared to my Aeroad or Aluminium bike but that may be due to the Conti 25s in the front. Or the wheelset. I don’t know, I haven’t bothered to ride the bikes with the same wheelset.
One thing I stumbled across is the bottom bracket.
There’s no creaking but it was quite hard to get the crank installed and it does
Not spin freely at all. It shouldn’t be the preload but I also cannot easily take the crank out again.
Is there some test I could do, do check the alignment?
I have installed a shimano SM-BB72-41B.

Tines

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2023, 04:49:03 AM »
So far i have around 500 km on it.
I’m happy with the bike! Really nothing to blame, the crank spins fine.
Only two points:
-the cover plate for the bottom tube that is supposed to cover the middle cable entry isn’t great. It’s flat, while the tube isn’t. Not a real issue , just worth mentioning. It anyone has an alternative let me know.
- i am a bit unsure about the supplied FSA expander as it’s height is less that the height of the stem. And it doesn’t sit in the middle if I were to remove the top spacers.
I bought a replacement compression plug by PRO, but that doesn’t seem right either, because it doesn’t sit flush against the steerer (three main contact points instead of evenly distributed). Do any of y’all have a suggestion? The specialized one maybe? Or am I being too cautious ?

Zdrenka89

« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2023, 02:26:49 AM »
+1 on the Specialized expander.

Lighter than the chinese ones while still providing good length and grip.

https://assets.specialized.com/i/specialized/06214-2010_CMPNT_CARB_STEER_TUBE_PLUG?bg=rgb(241,241,241)&w=2500&h=1406&fmt=auto

Yunglord

« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2023, 11:11:43 PM »
So I've finally completed the build of the frame I bought from @trilobites

I'm switching from a Factor o2 2018 RB with 8050 Di2 and so far after a few hundred k's the main difference is the stiffness in between both frame's rear triangle has the o2 was much more lively and felt alive when climbing out of the saddle however it looks like the power delivery is a bit better on the speeder.

I will report back after a month or two on the bike for a clear review.

Speeder SC-R48D 490
Sram AXS Rival RD/Force FD/Rival Shifters
Ali Shimano 12 Speed 11/32 cassette & Chain
Shimano R8000 52/36 crankset
Speeder 45mm wheels with Chosen Hub - 1460G with Tape.
Prologo Dimension NDR Nack / Elita One Seatpost
Fasterway 380mm aero handlebars
Kalloy Uno 100mm
Favero Assioma

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 11:13:35 PM by Yunglord »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2023, 02:22:15 AM »
Lovely bike. Congrats, but never seen that level of drivetrain mixing  ;D

How does it shift?

Yunglord

« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2023, 08:47:14 AM »
@zdrenka89 RD is flawless so far still tuning the FD as it's pretty much maxed out with that 52 Tooth ring however I was inspired by two Japanese YouTuber who are riding similar setups :D

Zdrenka89

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2023, 04:20:12 AM »
Didnt know the indexing of the RD would work with 12sp Shimano.

Is the FD maxed out in terms of how high it can be mounted in FD-mount?

And can the FD handle the 16 tooth difference between the front chainrings?

How is the pulleywheels of the RD handling the smaller rollers in the chain?

RDY

« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2023, 05:52:53 AM »
@zdrenka89 RD is flawless so far still tuning the FD as it's pretty much maxed out with that 52 Tooth ring however I was inspired by two Japanese YouTuber who are riding similar setups :D

That's an old Force FD, right?  I'm surprised it can handle 52 ... usually they struggle with 50.    Everyone I know who's running a mixed drivetrain like that is running Rival FD, or the new Force FD.

Yunglord

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2023, 03:52:30 PM »
Didnt know the indexing of the RD would work with 12sp Shimano.

Is the FD maxed out in terms of how high it can be mounted in FD-mount?

And can the FD handle the 16 tooth difference between the front chainrings?

How is the pulleywheels of the RD handling the smaller rollers in the chain?

The pulley wheels are having no issues with the chain!

It is a D1 Force AXS FD and yes it's at the highest point of the mount!

Shifting from small to big works but at both extremes of the range I had some slight chain rubbing IE Big ring and 32 in the back and vice-versa.

I'm debating adding a spacer on the drive side to help with Derailleur adjustments but this will have to take a break as one of the FD limit screws is stripped and I'm hunting for a replacement.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2023, 01:24:14 AM »
Thanks for elaborating!