Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 78368 times)

JonMS

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2023, 09:59:46 AM »
Moar pictures of final frame. I added gloss black vinyl around the paint transition to make them less ugly.
Also OEM Pinarello headset fits the bike perfectly Part#: STHSBF12KITAM (F12 & F)

kongo

« Reply #706 on: August 18, 2023, 09:47:40 AM »
hello all just an update. frame is riding great. no issues. had to change out my bars 3 times( 1 time was my fought for locktit grub screws `other 2 times was to dial on the fit).  so far 2300 road mils and 330 mile on a wahoo kicker snap
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 04:27:48 PM by kongo »

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #707 on: August 25, 2023, 10:38:05 PM »
1000km Update!

Still in love with this frame. Stiff, rides like a dream and it fits my body type very well (loong arms) . Brake misalignment issue is still only 99% fixed, as I still have some disc rubbing when I go out of the saddle. Still hoping this will eventually fade when the brake pads bed in more, but I might have to do some more effort into re-centering again.

However, I don't have any issues with the frame. No cracks, no creaking, no rattling. Nothing!

is that a bell on your computer mount?
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

michkus

« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2023, 02:12:17 AM »
hey together,

i have my r-218 frame now for arround 1 year and just hit 10000 km with it. No issues so far.

But I want to go for a narrower bar with arround 36 cm width. So far I am thinking about the Farsports F1 Integrated handlebar, Farsports is offering a special top cap to use it with dogma f12/f. https://www.farsports.com/products/f1-handlebar-spacer

Are there any other alternatives? Cheaper maybe? :D

thanks

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #709 on: August 26, 2023, 04:46:14 PM »
I want to 3d print stem spacers. is there any real advantage to them being 2 piece? or would one piece be ok? also I am going to do a version with an arm and a mount for a computer.

I am all torso and need a taller stem. for a more relaxed position. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 05:12:14 PM by Queen of Skulls »

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

JonMS

« Reply #710 on: August 27, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
I want to 3d print stem spacers. is there any real advantage to them being 2 piece? or would one piece be ok? also I am going to do a version with an arm and a mount for a computer.

I am all torso and need a taller stem. for a more relaxed position.

The Pinarello stuff is likely two piece to aid in adjusting stack without having to undo everything with the integrated handlebars.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #711 on: September 08, 2023, 10:18:52 AM »
ok which bolts should I be greasing up?  Because greasing up changes the torque. but some of the screws are hard to get in like the handlebar  to stem clamp?

JonMS

« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »
ok which bolts should I be greasing up?  Because greasing up changes the torque. but some of the screws are hard to get in like the handlebar  to stem clamp?

I have a PDF a few pages back with torque specs and grease.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2023, 10:57:20 AM »
I have a PDF a few pages back with torque specs and grease.

it calls for thread locker but the bolts are all ready so tight. like I was re-cutting the threads. at least in the handle bar stem clamp... also I cant seem to find the use for the aluminum tube halfs. they sliver al pieces and like a tube cut in half and about 50mm or 2 in long.

JonMS

« Reply #714 on: September 17, 2023, 12:25:34 PM »
Welp got my replacement bike built up. Still using Force AXS but this time in the shiny new D2 colors.

Sebastian

« Reply #715 on: November 03, 2023, 04:00:52 PM »
Has anyone by any chance had to replace their headset bearings on the VB-R218? Or did you maybe use a different one from the one that VB supply?
Reason I’m asking is I need to replace my lower headset bearing. A few wet rides and it seems that water ingress made it corrode.
Now I know this is an IS52/40 headset. But what shape does the bearing seat in the VB-R218 frame have? The original Dogma F uses bearings with 45/45degrees where most other frames are using 36/45degree bearings. Is the difference only the angle on the inside and it doesn’t matter as long as you’re using the crown race that comes with the bearing? I’m lost. I wanna order the replacement bearing before I tear the bike apart. But I dunno which one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 04:09:50 PM by Sebastian »

kenderu

« Reply #716 on: November 10, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »
Finally got my bike built with ltwoo erx groupset, 105 crankset, ec90 saddle and a gold YBN chain.

Rides amazing, and it's super quick. I really should've gotten it done earlier but life got in the way.

Sebastian

« Reply #717 on: November 11, 2023, 12:35:43 AM »
Has anyone by any chance had to replace their headset bearings on the VB-R218? Or did you maybe use a different one from the one that VB supply?
Reason I’m asking is I need to replace my lower headset bearing. A few wet rides and it seems that water ingress made it corrode.
Now I know this is an IS52/40 headset. But what shape does the bearing seat in the VB-R218 frame have? The original Dogma F uses bearings with 45/45degrees where most other frames are using 36/45degree bearings. Is the difference only the angle on the inside and it doesn’t matter as long as you’re using the crown race that comes with the bearing? I’m lost. I wanna order the replacement bearing before I tear the bike apart. But I dunno which one.

I asked Chris. It's an IS 52/40 with 45° bearing interface in the frame. The bearing is 7mm tall. Good to know because there's also headset bearings with 8mm height. I got a Cane Creek 10 Series lower headset bearing. Those are durable enough and pretty cheap. I'm using one in my gravel bike which lasts ages already. Also, they come with a glass fiber plastic crown race which is easy to put on. I'll take that opportunity and finally cut my fork down enough to lose that spacer I still got sitting on my stem. Luckily, on the rim brake frame I can just pull the fork out. I just have to loosen the cable clamp bolt on the front brake.

Sebastian

« Reply #718 on: November 11, 2023, 12:37:18 AM »
Finally got my bike built with ltwoo erx groupset, 105 crankset, ec90 saddle and a gold YBN chain.

Rides amazing, and it's super quick. I really should've gotten it done earlier but life got in the way.

Nice! The gold chain and the gold labelling on the erx gruppo go rather well together. Also, I'm a fan of the previous generation Shimano cranks aesthetically. I like the lines and the combination of gloss black and matte on the 105 crank. Have fun!

kenderu

« Reply #719 on: November 14, 2023, 02:14:07 PM »
Nice! The gold chain and the gold labelling on the erx gruppo go rather well together. Also, I'm a fan of the previous generation Shimano cranks aesthetically. I like the lines and the combination of gloss black and matte on the 105 crank. Have fun!

Thanks!  I'm surprised how well it came out with the gold hcain and erx group.  I don't even know how the new shimano cranks look, originally I was going to go with 105 rim groupset with juin-tech pistons instead of erx but I cannibalized that groupset to fix my other bikes and was left with only the crankset left.  Weighs about 8.9kg including the assioma duo-shi pedals, I think it would be 8.6kg without them.  Similar to my old Motobecane carbon road bike.

I asked Chris. It's an IS 52/40 with 45° bearing interface in the frame. The bearing is 7mm tall. Good to know because there's also headset bearings with 8mm height. I got a Cane Creek 10 Series lower headset bearing. Those are durable enough and pretty cheap. I'm using one in my gravel bike which lasts ages already. Also, they come with a glass fiber plastic crown race which is easy to put on. I'll take that opportunity and finally cut my fork down enough to lose that spacer I still got sitting on my stem. Luckily, on the rim brake frame I can just pull the fork out. I just have to loosen the cable clamp bolt on the front brake.

I'm glad you figured it out, you're the resident expert of this frame, if you couldn't do it no one can!