Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 78211 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #750 on: April 08, 2024, 02:31:51 PM »
The frame is on closeout sale. You can only order leftover stock. The disc frames are only available in size S. I know, because I asked. I like my rim brake 218 so much that I thought about building a disc version as well. My first rim brake frame cracked as well. I repaired it. It was an easy fix with a bit of carbon cloth and resin. But I still built up my replacement frame and retired the first one. It's now hanging on the wall. The replacement frame is fine after more than 6.500 km. I used 4nm on the grub screws. Also, I use a bit of textile tape on the seatpost usually to make it less slippery.

Mic553

« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2024, 02:39:49 PM »
I didn't try yet how low I could go. I just assembled it and holds since.

Look, no need to panic. It's a 550 € china frame. It's about fun. And velobuild respect their warranty actually. Do some measures, stay easy with the torque and chances are good you'll be fine.

blackpyros

« Reply #752 on: April 08, 2024, 03:01:41 PM »
The frame is on closeout sale. You can only order leftover stock. The disc frames are only available in size S. I know, because I asked. I like my rim brake 218 so much that I thought about building a disc version as well.
That's kind of an irony considering you already got the disc version first instead by their mistake and now you can't build a disc version because the only left are too small for you. :D

Velobuild respect their warranty actually.
I know they do but I am still a bit afraid as people say they are stop making this frame and what if I ever need a replacement...

Serge_K

« Reply #753 on: April 08, 2024, 03:21:23 PM »
I'm testing this, you guys might be interested in that one if VB stops selling the 218. The clamping system is normal. The geometry is virtually the same as the Grevil, so it's a gravel bike, but very roady. I havent ridden it much, but it's been great fun.

Sebastian

« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2024, 01:19:48 AM »
That's kind of an irony considering you already got the disc version first instead by their mistake and now you can't build a disc version because the only left are too small for you. :D

Yeah, that's alright with me I guess. The idea was to build this up as an homage to one of the last great rim brake bikes without braking the bank. And I'm happy that I did it. It's still the fastest bike I got, despite having built up an aero disc bike in the meantime.

blackpyros

« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2024, 02:46:56 AM »
Anyway, my conclusion from this is (and it's pure speculation of course) that the cracks in seat tube actually may have nothing to do with the torque of the grub screws there (since they are not tigtened to the frame itself) and rather are a result of a design flaw when maybe forces that are caused by a rider sitting and riding on a bike are transferred to that area and said area is simply not strong enough.

I am also sad they are stop making this model after they actually listened to some of the suggestions made from customers and thus improving the overall quality. For instance my frame came with all the bolts already screwed inside the frame or handlebar which negates two possible issues - bolts being lost during packaging or transportation and wrong/damaged threads.

Or they changed design of BB area where the BB shell is finally one piece of metal so no more BB facing issues. The screw there is also shorter and so even DUB BB fits.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:11:32 AM by blackpyros »

kvnp

« Reply #756 on: April 12, 2024, 10:12:37 AM »
That is not good. I've bought 4 frames from Chris but not that one. Strange clamping system, especially 4nm. Did you use a torque wrench?
I'd email him and see what he says. AFAIK, frames that are cracked at the seat post are written off. Can it be just a paint thing? If you look inside the tube what do you see? Can you film what happens when you sit on the frame? Paint crack, fine, frame crack, landfill?

So I check inside the seat post and yeah they were two small cracks. I sent those pictures to Chris and we manage to get a new replacement frame. I'll put the current frame on my Kick Core and just use it for indoor training, I guess.

Serge_K

« Reply #757 on: April 12, 2024, 10:34:58 AM »
So I check inside the seat post and yeah they were two small cracks. I sent those pictures to Chris and we manage to get a new replacement frame. I'll put the current frame on my Kick Core and just use it for indoor training, I guess.

Good outcome!
I guess the morale of the story is, stay away from non standard features. A round seat post is best. A D-shaped seatpost with a "standard" clamp, we've seen on dozen of bikes. But the clamping system on this one just doesn't make sense.

neobiker

« Reply #758 on: April 12, 2024, 05:37:21 PM »
I'm testing this, you guys might be interested in that one if VB stops selling the 218. The clamping system is normal. The geometry is virtually the same as the Grevil, so it's a gravel bike, but very roady. I havent ridden it much, but it's been great fun.

So where can I buy this?

Sebastian

« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2024, 04:34:38 AM »
Good outcome!
I guess the morale of the story is, stay away from non standard features. A round seat post is best. A D-shaped seatpost with a "standard" clamp, we've seen on dozen of bikes. But the clamping system on this one just doesn't make sense.

They chose this clamping arrangement because the top tube/seat tube junction is simply not wide enough to put a clamping wedge in there, I think. At least not one of the wedges you typically find on other frames. And I don't think the seatpost clamping expander is inherently a bad design. It actually works quite well and it spreads the load on the seatpost on a reasonably big area. But obviously you have to build the frame durable enough to withstand the load. And also, the 218 is so narrow at the seatpost/seattube that it flexes from side to side. It doesn't bother me and it is something that reviewers have also lamented about the actual Dogma F. And I think this might put additional stress on this area.

JonMS

« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2024, 02:18:13 PM »
They chose this clamping arrangement because the top tube/seat tube junction is simply not wide enough to put a clamping wedge in there, I think. At least not one of the wedges you typically find on other frames. And I don't think the seatpost clamping expander is inherently a bad design. It actually works quite well and it spreads the load on the seatpost on a reasonably big area. But obviously you have to build the frame durable enough to withstand the load. And also, the 218 is so narrow at the seatpost/seattube that it flexes from side to side. It doesn't bother me and it is something that reviewers have also lamented about the actual Dogma F. And I think this might put additional stress on this area.

Curious if those with setback seat post are having this problem more so than folks with zero setback posts. I have 0 setback on both of my 218s and have no problems.

JonMS

« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2024, 05:14:26 PM »
Frame Update 2024

Figured I'd keep telling the story of my 218s

After painting my replacement frame I decided I wanted to paint my repaired frame this season. I sanded down the paint where I repaired prevously to check up on the repair and redo some of the body work so it would have a nicer finish once painted.

Purple is my favorite color. I found this one on the Aston Martin catalog called Digital Violet.Enjoy the pics

JonMS

« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2024, 06:23:28 PM »

What frame is this?

mattgolt

« Reply #763 on: April 14, 2024, 06:16:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have received some direct messages over my bike computer setup on the VB218, because I have mounted a bell below it. If anyone is interested, here are some infos about it:

My bell mount is actually a self-made contraption, that consists of three things:

- a standard bell, that you would normally mount to a round handlebar
- the standard computer mount that came with the velobuild 218 frame
- a 3d printed part, that allows me to mount the bell

The 3d file can be downloaded here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6578675

This setup has worked fine, but it was a bit heavy. A few weeks ago I hit a pothole and the computer mount broke, so I ordered the off the shelf variant for a pinarello. It's made from the brand "close the gap" and is currently very popular in germany (probably because germans like rules and there is a rule that you must have a bell on your bike)

blackpyros

« Reply #764 on: April 14, 2024, 08:12:11 AM »
This setup has worked fine, but it was a bit heavy. A few weeks ago I hit a pothole and the computer mount broke, so I ordered the off the shelf variant for a pinarello. It's made from the brand "close the gap" and is currently very popular in germany (probably because germans like rules and there is a rule that you must have a bell on your bike)
Thanks. "Close the gap" looks like a very solid and elegant solution but I am not sure if I want to pay 60 euros for a Garmin mount with bell. You can find cheap chinese copies on Aliexpress (like five times cheaper) but sadly I only found versions for either standard aero bars or normal round bars. I cannot find a chinese version for Most iTalon bars.

Btw does the bell of the "Close the gap" sound good and loud enough? Are you satisfied with it? Did you have any problems mounting it on this frame bars since they are just a copy of the Most original?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 09:09:02 AM by blackpyros »