Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 81277 times)

madmax

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2023, 09:45:35 PM »
@Queen

The ebay link shows it at $1700 for the Shimano Ultegra R8070 Di2 Hydro Groupset
Prices are bit crazy at the moment & I don't know much about Di2, except what I've read.

That being said I am looking at converting my wife's Canyon Aeroroad SL from regular 105 to 105 Di2 & will likely go with the newer revision as it fixes a few issues with the last gen.
Also the 105 Di2 is much cheaper & there is barely any difference between that & the Ultegra  & the 105 has dual batteries in the shifters so those will last a few years

If you are in Europe then Merlin Cycles has very good prices. Other than that you will need to look around

kongo

« Reply #586 on: February 16, 2023, 10:09:24 PM »
Thank for your help and sorry for my bad explanation.
My question was where's installed the cable connection on this frame.
Please see the attached file.

hopefully this help. bottom of frame has a drop out port. an your junction a box should be a bar end.

pierluigi

« Reply #587 on: February 17, 2023, 03:35:11 AM »

hopefully this help. bottom of frame has a drop out port. an your junction a box should be a bar end.

It is very helpful for me.
Thanks a lot.

kongo

« Reply #588 on: February 19, 2023, 12:51:21 AM »

Im enjoying my frame. So Im just asking, Im not taking a dig at the product just making conversation

Just wondering if any one have any post build issues? I'm 1480 miles in on my build. I've come across 2. front derailleur hanger  has movement. feels like 2 of the 3 rivets is secure. An the water bottle cage on me down tube. bottom bolt is just spins. for the most part their secure, but if I was to have to do a trans plant to another frame wondering if i should go with another 218 or look into something new.

I'm happy with the 750 (including shipping) I spent on the frameset. For what I paid to what I got in return I feel like I broke even so far. after all its a clone. I see maybe another 9 months before one of the 2 issues become a major problem and I need to replace the frameset. so I'm looking to the community for thoughts. by that time were looking at north of 3000 miles on the frameset. i never thought of these frames as a long term item. for 1 its carbon which make it disposable, and by it being a clone and suspect carbon we don't know the actual durability.

me and my specs
groupset di2 11 speed,172.5 crank ,4iii left side power meter elite wheels 55mm juntech brakes system.
frame size xxl
dirty wt.19 lbs /8.6kg (no saddle bag no water bottles) but with computer edge 1030 garmin and garmin radar and separate tail light
std weight full load 24 lbs/ 10.88 kg (saddle bag=1.5lbs and 2 750ml water bottles)
my wt as of this post 227.9lbs/ 103.3 kg
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:43:50 PM by kongo »

Sebastian

« Reply #589 on: February 19, 2023, 01:48:41 AM »
Both issues could be fixed rather easily. Just saying. The bottle cage mount as well as the derailleur hanger rivet could be drilled out and you could install a new rivet / rivnut with one of these rivet guns. Just saying.

There’s a good video by Hambini about this:

I haven’t had these issues so far. Knock on wood. But my mileage is lower than yours since I’m jumping between three different bikes. Mine has done just a little above 1000 miles. Hoping it lasts a while, though. I sure wasn’t planning on replacing it any time soon.

kongo

« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2023, 12:13:06 PM »
Both issues could be fixed rather easily. Just saying. The bottle cage mount as well as the derailleur hanger rivet could be drilled out and you could install a new rivet / rivnut with one of these rivet guns. Just saying.

There’s a good video by Hambini about this:

I haven’t had these issues so far. Knock on wood. But my mileage is lower than yours since I’m jumping between three different bikes. Mine has done just a little above 1000 miles. Hoping it lasts a while, though. I sure wasn’t planning on replacing it any time soon.

thanks your like a bike repair search engine. with that being out the way. i have nothing left to say
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:27:25 PM by kongo »

pierluigi

« Reply #591 on: February 20, 2023, 10:35:50 AM »
Just wondering if any one have any post build issues? I'm 1480 miles in on my build. I've come across 2. front derailleur hanger  has movement. feels like 2 of the 3 rivets is secure. An the water bottle cage on me down tube. bottom bolt is just spins. for the most part their secure, but if I was to have to do a trans plant to another frame wondering if i should go with another 218 or look into something new.

I'm happy with the 750 (including shipping) I spent on the frameset. For what I paid to what I got in return I feel like I broke even so far. after all its a clone. I see maybe another 9 months before one of the 2 issues become a major problem and I need to replace the frameset. so I'm looking to the community for thoughts. by that time were looking at north of 3000 miles on the frameset. i never thought of these frames as a long term item. for 1 its carbon which make it disposable, and by it being a clone and suspect carbon we don't know the actual durability.

me and my specs
groupset di2 11 speed,172.5 crank ,4iii left side power meter elite wheels 55mm juntech brakes system.
frame size xxl
dirty wt.19 lbs /8.6kg (no saddle bag no water bottles) but with computer edge 1030 garmin and garmin radar and separate tail light
std weight full load 24 lbs/ 10.88 kg (saddle bag=1.5lbs and 2 750ml water bottles)
my wt as of this post 227.9lbs/ 103.3 kg

Hi, in my experience with VB (I bought a 177 6 months a go) they offered a very good warranty service. In my case I received a seat post and a stem after some very small problem with that, withot any payment.
You can try asking them if your frame is under warranty.

madmax

« Reply #592 on: February 20, 2023, 11:26:14 AM »
For anyone concerned about this being a "clone"

My bike weighed in at 16.7 lbs (size xl), campagnolo record rim brake group +Elite drive wheels (50") + Garmin 1030+  and varia radar + 2 bontrager ion lights (front/rear), durace pedals

Yes, you can beat the crap out of an actual Pinarello Dogma F, which I have done on this bike.   ;D
(Most cyclists are nice genuinely curious, some are snots at a "chinese" frame....never mind that the Pinarello is made in Taiwan)

At the end of the day, what you have is a very unique personalized bike that you built with your very own hands & there's nothing else like it in your area  (ie your logo etc)
and it's one of a kind to be enjoyed

Truth be told, I rode my "Blackbird SR-71" more times in a 1 month than I did my Trek Madone SL-7 eTap (awesome bike as well), because there was just something tactile about the mechanical shifting that really connected you to the bike & the immense satisfaction of riding something you built

s3si1u

« Reply #593 on: February 20, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »
FD mount issue has happened to me before. A local shop sorted this out for me in an hour or so. They only charged me $25, maybe this is an option of there's a good shop near you
Instagram: @aerosloth

kongo

« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2023, 05:41:00 PM »
@madmax 16.7lbs light or heavy? i came into road bike on disk last rim bike I had was in the 90s. Should I push to get this takin care of asap (fd mount)? maybe I should rewite my post. I dont want any one to read it and thing it a bad product. Im happy with it. just at the price I paid for it, it gives me options to move on to another frame and not be pissed or raise hell of the minor things I have found which can be repair at home or by a shop. The price was one of the things that brought my attention to the Asian market of frames. were as western brands start at 2k for mid tiers and 6.5k for top. with my system weight and the jacked up roads in my area, im surpised any frame and wheelset made it this far. (wheelset has 7k miles 1 bearing went one from riding in the rain 15 dollar and i was back at it)

an i had to replace my bars i use the wrong threadlock on oem bars
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:55:15 PM by kongo »

RDY

« Reply #595 on: February 21, 2023, 06:01:41 AM »
Yishun are now offering a somewhat inspired by F model (rather than obvious clone).  Not sure if it'll be offered by LightCarbon for direct to consumer, or just to brands by Yishun.

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/r1088-daero-road/

I'd imagine it'll be much higher quality than the 218, though obviously if you want a clone it won't fit the bill.

Jimin

« Reply #596 on: February 21, 2023, 07:23:27 AM »
So I finished my build last week and I’ve been putting the frame thru its paces.  I’ve had few reservations at the start but it’s turning out to be an impressive machine.  I’ve had zero issues with the BB fitment and the only thing that needed real attention was making the rear brake housing exit bigger, 3D printing a more robust front deraillure cable exit and sanding/dremeling down the BB paint overspray and protruding rivet.

Major parts include: Sensah 12spd, look keo pedals, elite wheels and aliEx EEbrake replicas.   Without the added crap and accessories it came in exactly 7kg (including bottle cages).

One advice I can give to anyone looking to build the frame is keep small files and a dremel handy!
What did you use the small files and the dremel for? :D

Sebastian

« Reply #597 on: February 21, 2023, 08:30:10 AM »
My bike weighed in at 16.7 lbs (size xl), campagnolo record rim brake group +Elite drive wheels (50") + Garmin 1030+  and varia radar + 2 bontrager ion lights (front/rear), durace pedals

That's impressively light considering all the included accessories.
What does that Elite Drive wheelset weigh?
I have put on a set of Bontrager Speed Stop direct mount brakes and one of those silly light SROAD 11sp cassettes (220g for an 11-32) to my XXL rim brake build.
Other than that it's a Campy Centaur groupset but with a Record crankset and Favero Assioma PM pedals.
Built the wheelset myself. Sapim CX Ray spokes, 60mm deep and 30mm wide clincher rims, Novatec hub in the rear and a very nice Roval front hub that I had lying around that I polished to a nice shiny silver look. The wheels are not the lightest at around 1450g but they sure ride and look nice.
Including bottle cages and head unit mount the bike now weighs 7.75kg / 17lbs.
If I put on my silly light 60mm tubular wheels (yes, I still ride those and they're VERY NICE), I get the weight down to 7.5kg/16.5lbs.
I ride Vittoria Corsa tires - tubs as well as clinchers. So the tire weight is pretty identical.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:35:05 AM by Sebastian »

madmax

« Reply #598 on: February 21, 2023, 09:36:05 AM »
That's impressively light considering all the included accessories.
What does that Elite Drive wheelset weigh?
I have put on a set of Bontrager Speed Stop direct mount brakes and one of those silly light SROAD 11sp cassettes (220g for an 11-32) to my XXL rim brake build.
Other than that it's a Campy Centaur groupset but with a Record crankset and Favero Assioma PM pedals.
Built the wheelset myself. Sapim CX Ray spokes, 60mm deep and 30mm wide clincher rims, Novatec hub in the rear and a very nice Roval front hub that I had lying around that I polished to a nice shiny silver look. The wheels are not the lightest at around 1450g but they sure ride and look nice.
Including bottle cages and head unit mount the bike now weighs 7.75kg / 17lbs.
If I put on my silly light 60mm tubular wheels (yes, I still ride those and they're VERY NICE), I get the weight down to 7.5kg/16.5lbs.
I ride Vittoria Corsa tires - tubs as well as clinchers. So the tire weight is pretty identical.

Elite Drive 50V (rim brake), Team version, 1315g - 1500g
Campagnolo freebody 12spd, black decals

$1069 ...... $200 off so it came to  ~ $900

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-50mm-rim-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelsetceramic-bearing/

Now, when I weigh my bike it shows 16.7 to 17.4 lbs

Either there is a gravitational anomaly in my garage or I added too much grease/lube when I was fixing the BB & added the crank back in  ;D

Sebastian

« Reply #599 on: February 21, 2023, 12:21:40 PM »
Seems like a great wheelset especially for the price.
I’ll stick with custom built wheels, though. I’m a DIY kind of guy.  8)

Glad to read that you managed to fix your BB!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 12:24:31 PM by Sebastian »