Poll

As titeln specifies, VBR 218 or VBR 099?

VBR 218
2 (13.3%)
VBR 099
13 (86.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: VBR 218 or VBR 099?  (Read 1390 times)

Jimin

VBR 218 or VBR 099?
« on: July 30, 2022, 04:19:14 PM »
I am on the fence of ordering a new frame and this will be my first bike that I build.
Was going to order the 218 but then saw 099 and now I am confused on which one I should get. I like the look of both of them, however I do not know which one is easier to build. Also I dont have any experience with building a bike(but I guess google and asking pros will do the job)

Which frame do you like most and why? :)

edit: emailed Chris regarding the 099. Its still available at this moment if we order through email/whatsapp.

memebike

Re: VBR 218 or VBR 099?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:24:37 AM »
Do you prefer the Dogma or the Venge?

Jimin

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 04:12:34 PM »
Do you prefer the Dogma or the Venge?
I am not quiet sure yet but somehow I like the looks of 218 but something tells me that I should get an 099 haha! :D

Velovelo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
In the open mold world I'd go for the bike with looks that score lower on the "copied frame" spectrum especially when the highly copied frame is not the only option.
Also vbr099 seems to be a lighter build between the two frames hence closer to an all-rounder bike.

Random point from this weekend issues; vb099 has a hole under the BB area that helps to drain water out after a rainy ride or major bike wash. My 177 for example does not have this hole making lots of water to be caught up at the BB area. Not sure if vbr218 has this water drainage hole underneath the BB area. Little stuff like this saves your BB for longer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:34:43 PM by Velovelo »

Jimin

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 01:48:40 AM »
In the open mold world I'd go for the bike with looks that score lower on the "copied frame" spectrum especially when the highly copied frame is not the only option.
Also vbr099 seems to be a lighter build between the two frames hence closer to an all-rounder bike.

Random point from this weekend issues; vb099 has a hole under the BB area that helps to drain water out after a rainy ride or major bike wash. My 177 for example does not have this hole making lots of water to be caught up at the BB area. Not sure if vbr218 has this water drainage hole underneath the BB area. Little stuff like this saves your BB for longer.
Perhaps my brain is a little slow this morning but what do you mean by looks that score lower on the copied frame? So there will be less comments from other people you mean? :)
Yeah the 099 is a bit lighter so that's why I am leaning towards it besides the looks of it.

Ah! Wow I have to ask Chris! This was a good thing to know!
What about we water that goes upwards? Meaning rainwater

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 02:10:19 AM »
Perhaps my brain is a little slow this morning but what do you mean by looks that score lower on the copied frame? So there will be less comments from other people you mean? :)
Yeah the 099 is a bit lighter so that's why I am leaning towards it besides the looks of it.

The 218 has a bolt on cover below the bottom bracket as well. It includes a Di2 battery holder there. So draining water is not a problem.

Besides, either frame is a copy after all. Yes the 99 might be more inspired rather than outright copied. But let’s face it: Velobuild‘s 168 and 99 are pretty close to being Specialized counterfeits. So if you’re concerned about what people might say about that, you’re probably better off not buying any of them.

I for one would never put decals on it to make it look like the real thing nor do I expect these frames to perform like the real thing. And for me it’s also about the dilemma that literally no one sells reasonably priced „modern“ carbon rim brake frames anymore, so I’m kinda forced to source them straight from China.

Jimin

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 04:41:17 AM »
The 218 has a bolt on cover below the bottom bracket as well. It includes a Di2 battery holder there. So draining water is not a problem.

Besides, either frame is a copy after all. Yes the 99 might be more inspired rather than outright copied. But let’s face it: Velobuild‘s 168 and 99 are pretty close to being Specialized counterfeits. So if you’re concerned about what people might say about that, you’re probably better off not buying any of them.

I for one would never put decals on it to make it look like the real thing nor do I expect these frames to perform like the real thing. And for me it’s also about the dilemma that literally no one sells reasonably priced „modern“ carbon rim brake frames anymore, so I’m kinda forced to source them straight from China.
That is good news then! :)

To be honest, I dont care what people might say actually :)
Yeah I have somehow difficult to put decals in order to fake it real. Im asian so kind of know one or another when it comes to counterfeit products. The major reason why I wanted to get those frames was that I really like the design of both of them however cant afford the real deal.

Velovelo

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »

I mean I prefer an open mold that does not look 100% copied. My personal preference.
By the way, given the nature of the cycling community, it is normal for people to comment on people riding a 100% copied frame. It is up to the rider to care or not to care about the good or bad comments. Ride whatever you want. It is your money. It is your life. You asked for opinions so I shared my thoughts and preference on both frames. In the end it is your choice that matters.

099 frame does not look 100% like the venge even if the geometry chart may be similar. In fact the 099 open mold frame is being rebranded and used by cycling teams.
Example frame with different fork and seatpost here: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/ares/
Teams: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/teams/
I saw online the 099 is also sold as a brand called Lokka Ranger.

You cannot rebrand the 218 like the above examples because it is a 100% copied frame. The 099 seems to be more of an "Open Mold" that is why I prefer it.

Another analogy is; you can outrightly pirate a Windows Operating system which is not cool but is commonly done. But Linux Operating system is Open Source Software so you can adapt it as you wish?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 04:11:35 PM by Velovelo »

Jimin

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 07:55:00 AM »
I mean I prefer an open mold that does not look 100% copied. My personal preference.
By the way, given the nature of the cycling community, it is normal for people to comment on people riding a 100% copied frame. It is up to the rider to care or not to care about the good or bad comments. Ride whatever you want. It is your money. It is your life. You asked for opinions so I shared my thoughts and preference on both frames. In the end it is your choice that matters.

099 frame does not look 100% like the venge even if the geometry chart may be similar. In fact the 099 open mold frame is being rebranded and used by cycling teams.
Example frame with different fork and seatpost here: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/ares/
Teams: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/teams/
I saw online the 099 is also sold as a brand called Lokka Ranger.

You cannot rebrand the 218 like the above examples because it is a 100% copied frame. The 099 seems to be more of an "Open Mold" that is why I prefer it.

Another analogy is; you can outrightly pirate a Windows Operating system which is not cool but is commonly done. But Linux Operating system is Open Source Software so you can adapt it as you wish?
Oh now I understand what you mean! I thought that the 099 was a copy of the venge. Matter of fact that every frame was a copy of something.
What does it exactly mean by open mold?

Velovelo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 07:29:35 PM »
Oh now I understand what you mean! I thought that the 099 was a copy of the venge. Matter of fact that every frame was a copy of something.
What does it exactly mean by open mold?

In @patliean1's Youtube video titled "VeloBuild VB R-177 - Lightest Chinese Frame Under $1000?", at time stamp 3:19 he explains what an open mold means. You can checkout the video.