Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 145390 times)

jefflinde

DIdn't see any conversation regarding Chinese tires. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804706173465.html

I sent message to two sellers asking if the 40c version was tubeless - one of them said no and other said yes. I am leaning towards no, since it doesn't mention them being tubeless anywhere in the listing but then many times those listings do have factual errors. Regardless, how bad can these be?

Everyone riding maxxis tires has been testing out Chinese tires for you.  hahaha.  but for real, as long as they are not imitations of something you should be good.  i have used Arisun and Innova and both have been great for the money.  Another one to look at is the American Classic tires.  those are pretty decent and are easy to get from Amazon.

jannmayer

I sent message to two sellers asking if the 40c version was tubeless - one of them said no and other said yes. I am leaning towards no, since it doesn't mention them being tubeless anywhere in the listing but then many times those listings do have factual errors. Regardless, how bad can these be?

I haven't tried those tires, but I do have a pair of Innova tires on my old 26" mountain bike. There were no problems mounting them and the seem well made. Perfectly acceptable as a basic tire.

I suspect those will be ok as well, as long as you're not terribly worried about performance. I doubt they will roll anywhere near as fast as the more expensive options due to the casing design and rubber compounds used.

jonathanf2

Is it 350g per tire? That's pretty darn heavy for a 25/28c tires.

Crash217

On the subject of Cheap Chinese tires;

I've been running a set of Chao Yang tires 700x25s on my Trek for a couple thousand miles.   Got them off Amazon and they are surprisingly grippy, quick and long lasting for under $30 a set.   Couldn't feel any real difference between them and the Bontrager tires that were on the bike before that. 

coffeebreak

Thanks for the replies all. Since I wanted tubeless and these are probably not that, I went ahead with tried and tested Panaracer GKs from a bike store that's closing down. I will eventually order the 40c and put them on a reserve rim set.

Is it 350g per tire? That's pretty darn heavy for a 25/28c tires.

Yes 25c and 28c are both 350g/tire per the description. Never weighed my other road tires but that does seem heavy.

Out of topic since I could not find any shipping specific thread - what does "Shipping Partner: A C I" mean on USPS tracking. is that Ali-Ex shipping company? Parts worth $250 are stuck somewhere in California. The app every day shows 7 notifications saying there is an update on your combined package delivery and when I check the tracking page no updates at all. USPS says they are still waiting for that item to come into their possession. This is going on for past 16 days and I am losing it. It will be now more than 1.5 months since date of ordering. Curiously, other small parts ordered on same date have arrived 2 weeks ago. I noticed whenever AX combines multiple orders into one, this frustrating sluggishness happens.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 12:06:10 PM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

Thanks for the replies all. Since I wanted tubeless and these are probably not that, I went ahead with tried and tested Panaracer GKs from a bike store that's closing down. I will eventually order the 40c and put them on a reserve rim set.

Yes 25c and 28c are both 350g/tire per the description. Never weighed my other road tires but that does seem heavy.

Panaracers are my go-to tires. I constantly find them going on sale, they're easy to setup tubeless and brown sidewalls always look good! I even picked up GK 28c slicks for my road bike, because the roads in my area have been absolute trash, so I needed something durable. Panaracer also has lightweight Agilest tires which are awesome as well. A shop in Colorado was selling them for $48 for a pair and they clock in at 190g per 25c tire for the clinchers. Even the tubeless 25c tires clock in at a scant 215g.

So far when it comes to components I've been leaning towards Chinese carbon frames/wheels/cranksets/misc. components, Taiwanese TRP/Juin Tech brakes + Xpedo pedals and Japanese Shimano shifters/RD/FD + Panaracer tires. I find this trio tends to form the best budget/performance/quality combination.

coffeebreak

I ordered GK SS in blue/teal colorway lol here goes nothing. I have the SS in black on my Chiner gravel and those are the only tires I never had a puncture plus they roll super on the road. True multipurpose tires IMO at reasonable prices.

hagerd

Also on the subject of Chinese tires, I'm convinced American classic is a predominantly chinese operation. I bought some tires and had a QC issue, wasn't able to get support through most of January, their excuse was the majority of the staff was off for Chinese New year.

Got the tires eventually and theyre great.

Tijoe

Also on the subject of Chinese tires, I'm convinced American classic is a predominantly chinese operation. I bought some tires and had a QC issue, wasn't able to get support through most of January, their excuse was the majority of the staff was off for Chinese New year.

Got the tires eventually and theyre great.
I made a conscious decision not to purchase American Classic tires.  To me, they need to come clean and disclose more regarding where they manufacture their tires.
I don't care if they are made in China if they are open about it.  But their website still has no contact phone number or state anything about where their tires are manufactured.  Perhaps someone to has purchased American Classic tires will look on their tires and see where they say they are manufactured.

00Garza

Out of topic since I could not find any shipping specific thread - what does "Shipping Partner: A C I" mean on USPS tracking. is that Ali-Ex shipping company? Parts worth $250 are stuck somewhere in California. The app every day shows 7 notifications saying there is an update on your combined package delivery and when I check the tracking page no updates at all. USPS says they are still waiting for that item to come into their possession. This is going on for past 16 days and I am losing it. It will be now more than 1.5 months since date of ordering. Curiously, other small parts ordered on same date have arrived 2 weeks ago. I noticed whenever AX combines multiple orders into one, this frustrating sluggishness happens.

Stuck in customs perhaps? Some handlebars I ordered stayed in customs for a week longer than some other items I ordered. I got a notification that said "released from customs" then it was at my door 3 days later.

jonathanf2

I made a conscious decision not to purchase American Classic tires.  To me, they need to come clean and disclose more regarding where they manufacture their tires.
I don't care if they are made in China if they are open about it.  But their website still has no contact phone number or state anything about where their tires are manufactured.  Perhaps someone to has purchased American Classic tires will look on their tires and see where they say they are manufactured.

I thought AM Classic was a Taiwanese operation? Anyways, they've upped their prices from the intro $30 USD to $40-45 USD, so their appeal isn't all that great anymore. I tried both their Timekeeper slicks in clincher and tubeless, and the clinchers have flimsy/weak sidewalls and the tubeless version are a real pain in the butt to bead. My buddy had an issues with their gravel tires and tossed them in the trash. Plus they smell funny.

Every few months I find Panaracer tires on sale so those are my go-to tires now. The latest Agilest tires are fast! I beat a previous hill climbing sprint PR segment by 7 seconds on those tires. Lastly Panaracers have that fresh rubber smell I like to sniff!

coffeebreak

Not Ali-Ex but Wiggle has Panaracer GK SK 38mm tan-walled tires at $25 a pop if anyone is interested. I felt they are aggressive and slow for road use if you are mixed rider like me who does not take the bike in car to the trail but rather ride on the road to reach the trail. But in the wet, snow, loose gravel the SK are simply fantastic.

https://www.wiggle.com/panaracer-gravel-king-sk-folding-tire-2

Oh and no tax + very reasonable shipping to the USA. I have paid far more than this for shipping within the USA for two tires.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 01:05:25 PM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

Not Ali-Ex but Wiggle has Panaracer GK SK 38mm tan-walled tires at $25 a pop if anyone is interested. I felt they are aggressive and slow for road use if you are mixed rider like me who does not take the bike in car to the trail but rather ride on the road to reach the trail. But in the wet, snow, loose gravel the SK are simply fantastic.

https://www.wiggle.com/panaracer-gravel-king-sk-folding-tire-2

Oh and no tax + very reasonable shipping to the USA. I have paid far more than this for shipping within the USA for two tires.

I predominantly climb loose dirt trails and ride tarmac since I don't drive when off-roading. I found running GK SS on the rear and SK on the front give me the best compromise. Plus the SK knobs wear out faster when mounted in the rear. The SS tires have a smooth center tread, but still enough grip on the sides to help once going on the trail. The SKs on the front help bite when downhill descending, and last longer when mounted on the front wheel.

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803455977621.html?

I decided to give this hollowed out alloy crankset a try on my gravel bike (I ordered without logo). It's the lightest alloy crankset I've found at a reasonable price. It weighs more than the Racework carbon crankset, but it probably can take more abuse on the trail. I plan to pair it with a 40t chainring. This seller also has the 1x chainrings similar to the Racework/Zeroing chainrings if you want to order in one set. Though I opted to order elsewhere under the Racework name, because I can't take the Goldix brand name seriously!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805026974642.html

Fat Larry

Possibly a scam with falsified tracking, though perhaps it really has been lost. Raise a dispute asap. I had an order recently that tracked as arrived "in 3 days" but nothing actually had shipped. Ali even has a preselected reason of "shipping shows as delivered but nothing has been received". I'd put money on the seller proposing to give you a partial refund if you do. It's part of the grift. The item was around 30% cheaper that any other seller had it, and it had free shipping with DHL/USPS. I've seen a few similar listings since, the stores are usually fairly new with little to no feedback.

I don't trust anything that isn't shipped with standard ali shipping/Sinagpore post/Cainiao tracked etc anymore. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 07:46:01 AM by Fat Larry »