Author Topic: IP 256 Commuter Build  (Read 6576 times)

Pedalphil

IP 256 Commuter Build
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
Built up a Titanium Fat bike last year, and really enjoyed the whole process - Retail Therapy taken to a whole new level, when you don't just pick a bike but every single component.

I have a Santa Cruz 5010C and a Trek Superfly 9.8SL, and I find myself barely riding my road bike, and its not much use commuting to work as I ride some limestone and hard dirt tracks on the way to work (around a lake).  And I don't want to ride the mountain bikes as  it also involves 6kms of bitumen which wears out the tyres pretty quick. That and who really needs an excuse for another bike anyways....

So I did a lot of research and ordered from XMIPlay a 256 frame, rigid fork, headset, thru axles (F&R).  Well  Peter from XMI emailed me through pictures and tracking details yesterday.  Colour is Pantone 420C

Component plan is to use:
Original DT Swiss X Spline 1700 wheels from the Superfly with Marathon Supreme 35mm.
XTR M988 brakes (pulled off fatbike, and replaced em with XT M875).
A mix of SRAM XX1 and X01, (X01 cassette - rest XX1) - will see if I can fit 34T chainring.  Would prefer 36 or 38 as route is very flat, and I spin out the Superfly with 2.25" tyres and 32T now.
Raceface Alloy seatpost (may end up using a beam rack on it (and I would rather aluminium for the that reason).
Thomson Seatclamp.
SDG Bel Air 2 Ti Saddle (got a mix of Ti RL and 2.0 on all other bikes - best saddle ever for my butt)
Easton EC90 Flatbar (590mm)
Lizardskin 33mm DSP grips
Xpedo Spry pedals.
stem wise - not sure yet, I have a 70mm to try, suspect I will end up with 80mm, and will be a Thomson.[/li][/list]

Hopefully frame and last few components make it to me before Xmas.

MTB2223

Re: IP 256 Commuter Build
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:13:32 AM »
Unique color :)
But Pantone 420C, shouldn't that be a kind of gray color ?

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:16:09 AM »
That is for sure the most shiny 256 out there :), I look forward to see it mounted!
Hopefully you will be the first to try a front 36T to end this long lasting enigma.

Pedalphil

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
Doh.  Dyslexia strikes again.  240C. 

Might have to play with a spacer - if I can get the 36t to work at all.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:39:32 AM »
Great looking frame, Pedalphil! Looking forward to seeing it built up. I'd like to build up a purple one eventually.

Are you getting carbon rims and have you considered having them painted as well? Been waiting for someone to do a brightly colored build and include the rims into the color scheme.. I may just have to be the first to try it..

Retail Therapy taken to a whole new level, when you don't just pick a bike but every single component.

I never thought about it like this but you're right.. Doing a chiner build is retail therapy to the absolute max - Especially if you're like me and love to do research on what you're purchasing!

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
Here is attached a SRAM XX1/X1 guidelines for the frame builders.
It gives the chainrings diameters, amongst other informations (I just found that document, but can't measure the bike right now)

Pedalphil

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:15:26 AM »
Sitar_Ned - I have a set of the 30mm Hookless rims built up with DT Swiss 240s & DT spokes/nipples, thats on the Superfly though.  I am using the aluminium DT Swiss Spline X2 1700 that came on the new build.  I do like the idea of the purple rims - give the cool kids on their fixies a run for their money on the fashion stakes.  Problem being I plan on using normal Clincher Marathon Supremes in 35c, not sure I would trust them on a tubeless setup - that said Thunder Burts would probably be nearly as quick and I can run them tubeless with sealant - so probably nearly as puncture proof as the Marathons, but they would be way more stylish with the extra shot of purple.   

carbonazza - Thanks for the info.  The sizing on the chart assume a BB30, I will be running BSA (as I trust the threaded BBs more - part of the reason my trail bike is a Santa Cruz).  The info should carry through.  One option to also consider is the Absolute Black Direct Mount Chainrings - they look like they will shift the chain line further out from the BB.  Anyone had experience with these and can confirm?

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:39 AM »
I'm about to put an Absolute Black spiderless chainring too, to replace my 28T.

Marcin, from Absolute Black strongly advised me to try his oval ring.
But you need a 104 BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter).
And it has a better chainline (2-3mm) compared to the spiderless chainring.

Unfortunately, I have an incompatible short spindle BB30 crank, so no oval ring for me.

I haven't check precisely, but it seems some spiderless chainrings have an offset for the chainline.

Pedalphil

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:53 AM »
I have a 32T Spiderless Oval on its way to me from Marcin @ Absolute Black - only 32T in the spiderless SRAM GXP version currently, and my plan was to put this on the Trek.  If the 34T SRAM doesn't clear with a spacer then I will use this one.

Anyways ordered the frame on the 21/11/14, and it arrived today 15/12/14.  weights up a bit from quoted - but that may well be due to the paint job. Also its a 19" frame not a medium.

Paint job is nice and thick looking - very pleased with it.

Got the 2 x through axles, the headset and a spare hanger - not that I am too likely to need it on this bike. 

Now the project stalls for a week, my first inclination was to bring it upstairs and put it together in the living room (my usual spot), then I figured I have two weeks off over Xmas and my wife is at work when I am not, so uninterrupted quality time with my build....

cmh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
I have a 32T Spiderless Oval on its way to me from Marcin @ Absolute Black - only 32T in the spiderless SRAM GXP version currently, and my plan was to put this on the Trek.  If the 34T SRAM doesn't clear with a spacer then I will use this one.

Anyways ordered the frame on the 21/11/14, and it arrived today 15/12/14.  weights up a bit from quoted - but that may well be due to the paint job. Also its a 19" frame not a medium.

Paint job is nice and thick looking - very pleased with it.

Got the 2 x through axles, the headset and a spare hanger - not that I am too likely to need it on this bike. 

Now the project stalls for a week, my first inclination was to bring it upstairs and put it together in the living room (my usual spot), then I figured I have two weeks off over Xmas and my wife is at work when I am not, so uninterrupted quality time with my build....

Any update on this? Damn fine looking frame.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »
Oh man, he totally left us hanging on that one.

We must see pics of final build.

Jake

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:31:22 AM »
Yes , I have to convince my wife to get an 256 as well
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:33:34 AM by Jake »

cmh

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
Oh man, he totally left us hanging on that one.

We must see pics of final build.

Maybe his screen name was a subtle admission and the cops caught up with him?  :o

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
Maybe his screen name was a subtle admission and the cops caught up with him?  :o

Oh, haha.. I completely missed that. I thought of it as "pedal Phil".. Feel like an idiot now.

cmh

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »

Oh, haha.. I completely missed that. I thought of it as "pedal Phil".. Feel like an idiot now.

I _HOPE_ that's what it was supposed to be, and it's just an amusing and unfortunate coincidence... :D