Author Topic: LTWOO RX hydro sets  (Read 31355 times)

00Garza

Re: LTWOO RX hydro sets
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2023, 03:15:40 PM »

New Trace Velo covering the LTwoo 1x GRT hydraulic groupset. A bit concerning is that he crashed his bike and broke the left carbon shift lever. I've crash a bunch of times on my GRX 400 levers and they're still working strong. Maybe carbon isn't the best material for levers. I think I'll stick with my slightly heavier alloy drop shifters!

I think the fact that shimano levers rotate relieves alot of the impact in a crash. The big lever on ltwoo is rigid and can't move laterally. And yeah...riding the loose dirt in the center is always a bad idea.

dsveddy

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
How much does it weigh? 105 R7000 is like 220g. Does it weigh more than that? If that's the case, I'd probably just use Shimano components.

My R9 weighed in at 229. I think the RX quoted at 219, which I believe given that it's kitted with lighter parts like the B-hanger screw. I did the math on the system weight of the LTWOO RX vs Shimano 105 11s and the RX is supposedly ~50g lighter for brifters, derailleurs, and calipers.

Given what 11 speed 105 groupsets are going for, I would not pay more than $400 inc. shipping for the RX system. It also depends on availability, 105 group-sets typically force you to buy the crank, cassette, rotors, and chain in the bundle. By going with LTWOO, I was able to spec fancy rotors, power-meter crank, and cassette

It's a shame they don't sell the shifters separately. They are substantially lighter than Shimano 105. And I get the feeling that they are compatible with Shimano derailleurs since previous, identical-looking generations of the R9 were marketed as such.

In an ideal future, I would love to try: LTWOO shifters, |||PRO/ONIRII "XG" hope-knockoff calipers (96g), Shimano 105 front mech, Shimano ultegra/DA rear mech.

dsveddy

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:00 AM »
Update after tearing the RD apart and doing some milling

The BIG source of weight penalty in these 11S R9 RDs is the derailleur hanger screw, or "B-axle". It looks like a functional knockoff/copy of the shimano ultegra-6700-series B-axle. Anyways as I mentioned earlier, it's solid steel. Stock weight is 20 grams for the screw alone. Im sure the aluminum screw specced on the RX is half the weight.

I was able to drill out out about 5 grams alone from the B-axle by driving an m4.5 drillbit down the centerline.

I also dremeled/filed out that chunky hanger knuckle and put an m8 hole in the faceplate of the parallelogram. It only yielded about 5 grams. While it's satisfying to see it all milled out, I gotta say it was not worth the time, effort, or worry involved in doing something that extreme.

All in all I got the RD weight down from 229 to 220g, for $0.

If you really want to effectively tune these R9 derailleurs to match the RX, I'd say replacing the b-axle with with an aluminum shimano replacement, and cable screw with alu or titanium would get you 10 grams. I think that's going to run you about $20-30USD

At that point, I think you might as well go to the Shimano 11-speed ultegra r8000 rear derailleur, which has been confirmed as compatible with LTWOO shifters in the component news thread, weighs a nice ~198g and can be found for ~$90USD.

I've done the numbers on weight and cost of what I call "super-weenie R9": LTWOO R9 hydro brifters and FD, Ultegra RD, and ONIRII XR calipers. Estimated weight coming in at 1125 grams and $553 (after shipping) if you buy the R9 gruppo from the LTWOO official store and add on an ultegra RD and XR calipers. This is in fact lighter than Ultegra R8020's quoted weight of 1132 grams for the same parts. LTWOO brifters are about the same weight as ultegra, so all of that weight savings is coming from the XR calipers.

For comparison, an ultegra disc kit with chain, crank, brifters, derailleurs, and cassette are about $800-1000USD online. To match that for "Super-weenie R9", throw in a $100 S-ROAD cassette, $178 racework crankset, $55 YBN chain and you're at $886. So "super-weenie R9" is not exactly saving you money. It *does* make sense if you have specific needs. For example I want a crank-based power meter with 167.5mm arms, and all of these cheap ultegra groupsets come with non-meter cranks and 172.6mm arms. So if you factor the cost of having to shelve and replace the crank, then starting with a crankless LTWOO kit starts to make more sense. Similarly, the Ultegra cassette is about 30-40g heavier than an S-ROAD cassette.

Update: just wanted to make a note of something I found disappointing about the R9s: the plastic shift levers are rivted on. There is no replacing them. If you have a bad hard shift and break them, you have to replace the whole lever. Talk about garbage design.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 04:36:36 PM by dsveddy »

cestmoi

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2023, 04:57:15 AM »
Hey all- I know its a bit cheeky to make a 'how do I?' post my first post, so apologies in advance.

For those who have set these up and got a good bleed on the brakes....can you do a quick step by step?

I'm doing the following:
1)Standard bleed block in the caliper
2)Pad advance ("reach") grubscrew fully turned to the left
3)Attach 2 x syringes to the bleed ports on both lever and caliper, each with approx 10-12 mls of fluid.
4)Pushing from the caliper syringe until no air is seen at the lever syringe
5)Pushing at the lever syringe until no air is seen at the caliper syringe
6)"Flicking" the lever to remove any air bubbles at the lever
7)Disconnecting both syringes and reinserting the bleed port screws to close everything up
8)Removing the bleed block and reinstalling the pads, and the wheel
9)Pulling the lever in firmly 7 or 8 times
10)Turning the pad advance grubscrew 4 to 5 full turns clockwise (it falls out on turn number 7)

Doing the above is disappointing, as there's next to no braking power. Am I doing something wrong?

thx

svanimpe

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2023, 07:52:35 AM »
Did you try overbleeding them? (bleeding without the bleed block in place, so you're adding extra fluid)

cestmoi

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »
No, but thats a good idea. Thanks for posting.

cestmoi

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2023, 09:16:36 AM »
Quick update. I've managed to get a pretty good bleed in there now, and think I've got the way of it. I was looking at the air port, and wondering why they'd include that. Looking at the hood design, the hood and reservoir are quite prominent, and air could get trapped inside- hence the air port.

So what I did was something I've done in the past- use a work stand to rotate the bike around and remove any air. I alternated between having the brake bleed port high, and then the lever high. I kept alternating these, and bleeding at the same time. Eventually all the air came out.

BTW, the pad adjust grubscrew falls out the back if you exceed 7 full turns clockwise. It's easy to reinstall though, but the lever needs removed to do so. If you do this then the lever return spring needs to be in the right spot to work right; all I do is lift it up a bit, push the lever against the front face of the hood, and slowly side it down while pushing gently forwards. This keeps the spring in place, and evenmtually it rests against the flat part above the pivot.

jonathanf2

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2023, 09:12:26 AM »
I just saw this version of the Ltwoo hydraulic shifters being sold with alloy shift levers? I didn't see these on the official Ltwoo AliEx store either:

GR9 hydraulic:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804911363509.html

R9 hydraulic:

jcr

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2023, 08:27:10 PM »
I just saw this version of the Ltwoo hydraulic shifters being sold with alloy shift levers? I didn't see these on the official Ltwoo AliEx store either:

GR9 hydraulic:

R9 hydraulic:

The launch from L-twoo is supposed to be 11s (alloy and carbon version) and 12s carbon only. The 11s alloy was supposed to be the cheapest entry to hydraulic disc. Not bad in pricing. 

But didn't know they offer 12s with Aluminum too? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005035663529.html that is a better deal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:32:21 PM by jcr »

jonathanf2

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2023, 08:51:46 PM »
The launch from L-twoo is supposed to be 11s (alloy and carbon version) and 12s carbon only. The 11s alloy was supposed to be the cheapest entry to hydraulic disc. Not bad in pricing. 

But didn't know they offer 12s with Aluminum too? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005035663529.html that is a better deal.

I saw that as well, but I forgot to link it. I guess snapping carbon levers might be an issue, hence the alloy option!

svanimpe

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2023, 06:52:53 AM »
I assume it's a well-needed cost cutting measure. The carbon versions are too high-priced to compete with established brands, and buyers looking for a budget option would rather save €70 than pay more for a negligible weight saving. I sure would.

00Garza

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2023, 09:17:07 AM »
If I had known an alloy version was coming, I definitely would've waited. Especially after seeing Luke's break after one fall.

jonathanf2

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2023, 10:41:30 AM »
If I had known an alloy version was coming, I definitely would've waited. Especially after seeing Luke's break after one fall.

I also wish they'd start selling the hydraulic components separately, I don't really need the derailleurs. Ltwoo stuff works with the Shimano 11/12 speed pull ratio.

dsveddy

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »
I also wish they'd start selling the hydraulic components separately, I don't really need the derailleurs. Ltwoo stuff works with the Shimano 11/12 speed pull ratio.

Has anyone confirmed if LTWOO left-side shifters are compatible with Shimano's front derailleurs?

jonathanf2

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2023, 11:13:36 AM »
Has anyone confirmed if LTWOO left-side shifters are compatible with Shimano's front derailleurs?

I don't see why not? Even the Sensah Empire left shifter works with Shimano FDs.