Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 31606 times)

daforce84

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 11:08:22 AM »
Build complete! 8.59kg as pictured.

In regards to saddle, a SMP Dynamic was the only spare saddle I have at the moment and I have the carbon railed version on another bike. Angle looks a bit off in photos so need to adjust it, but they work well for me.

Changes still to be made
- PD-M520 SPD pedals (currently have PD-EH500 installed)
- 11-36t 12 speed rear cassette (currently have 11-30t installed)

Thank you for sharing your build! Have you been able to get any rides on it yet? How does it ride?

MGee

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2023, 12:00:27 PM »
Looks great!
How do the handlebars measure up at the hoods and the drops for the 42cm one you've got?

l45er

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2023, 11:01:10 PM »
Looks great!
How do the handlebars measure up at the hoods and the drops for the 42cm one you've got?

Just to confirm - are you after the handlebar drop and a reach measurement including the R8170 levers?

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2023, 04:43:40 AM »
So I managed to resolve this today! Turns out the top cap screw was very tightly screwed into the compression nut and it looked like they were one piece. I mounted the larger screw into a bench vice and with a bit of effort unscrewed the smaller top cap screw.

the bike looks very cool, thanks for posting so much detail. I'm looking forward to hearing your riding feedback

Is the compression plug just a modified standard plug cut to fit the fork steerer. It looks a bit rough with some very sharp edges which would concern me .

https://shop.cervelo.com/collections/parts/products/c-steerer-fork-insert-kit-hs-preload-compression-plug.

MGee

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2023, 01:06:49 AM »
Just to confirm - are you after the handlebar drop and a reach measurement including the R8170 levers?

An idea on reach and drop would be great, but even just the width - how true 42cm is and how much the bar flares?

l45er

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2023, 12:53:13 AM »
An idea on reach and drop would be great, but even just the width - how true 42cm is and how much the bar flares?

42cm bars are 42cm centre to centre.
Drops are also 42cm centre to centre so no flare on the bars I received.

l45er

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2023, 12:58:04 AM »
the bike looks very cool, thanks for posting so much detail. I'm looking forward to hearing your riding feedback

Is the compression plug just a modified standard plug cut to fit the fork steerer. It looks a bit rough with some very sharp edges which would concern me .

https://shop.cervelo.com/collections/parts/products/c-steerer-fork-insert-kit-hs-preload-compression-plug.

It kind of looks like a modified standard plug on the top that has been cut to fit a D fork tube but the bottom part doesn’t look so bad. It torqued up fine and seems to fit well. See photos attached for more detail at various angles.

I did look a buying the Cervelo one when I was having an issue per my earlier post (which I resolved) but couldn’t find one online in Australia and to import one from the US was going to be like $150AUD.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 01:04:39 AM by l45er »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2023, 05:26:56 AM »
Thanks for all the pictures l45er! A great looking bike. Lovely result.

Do you have any tire clearance pictures of the front fork?

matvansteen

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
Hi, everyone. I am planning on buying the same frameset but I was wondering what would be the best, or safest way to go about it, as I am not familiar with PayPal and uncertain using it.
I"ve been in contact with Werner Wei at wernerwei@yaoflying.com, e-mailing about size and colour. I've seen that you can also order the frame on Airwolf's website and on Aliexpress, though unfortunately not in the color I want and at a 100 euro price difference.
Have any of you had any contact with Werner and ordered through him? Or have any you ordered using the Airwolf website? In order words, are they legit? Or should I just order through Aliexpress, choose a different color and stomach the price difference?

l45er

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2023, 10:49:49 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures l45er! A great looking bike. Lovely result.

Do you have any tire clearance pictures of the front fork?

Approx. 56mm between front fork where 700c tyre passes through. So should easily fit a 45mm tyre. See photo attached.

Hi, everyone. I am planning on buying the same frameset but I was wondering what would be the best, or safest way to go about it, as I am not familiar with PayPal and uncertain using it.
I"ve been in contact with Werner Wei at wernerwei@yaoflying.com, e-mailing about size and colour. I've seen that you can also order the frame on Airwolf's website and on Aliexpress, though unfortunately not in the color I want and at a 100 euro price difference.
Have any of you had any contact with Werner and ordered through him? Or have any you ordered using the Airwolf website? In order words, are they legit? Or should I just order through Aliexpress, choose a different color and stomach the price difference?

Personally I would be reluctant to deal directly with a random contact(?) due to the possibility of not getting what I paid for (or anything at all). At least via AliExpress there is some buyer protection if things go wrong. But ultimately up to you as to how much risk you're willing to accept vs price.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:07:50 PM by l45er »

matvansteen

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2023, 08:02:05 AM »
Personally I would be reluctant to deal directly with a random contact(?) due to the possibility of not getting what I paid for (or anything at all). At least via AliExpress there is some buyer protection if things go wrong. But ultimately up to you as to how much risk you're willing to accept vs price.

Thank you for your reply. Of course you're right. In the end I didn't feel comfortable ordering via email or the website, so I ordered on Aliexpress just now. I hope everything goes smoothly. Can't wait for it to be delivered!

viktorN

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »
Would be great if you could post some shots of the internals as well to get a picture of the level of wrinkling inside. BB and down tube as well as head tube would be nice to see  :)

I’ve ordered numerous frames from china and so far Yoeleo has been the best in terms of finish, Light Carbon too has been very smooth as well as the Dengfu. Twitter bikes was a great mess with loads of residue and wrinkling all over the place but surprisingly turned out to be a rather fun ride albeit making me feel a bit cautious and not pushing it to hard.

l45er

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2023, 10:12:09 PM »
Would be great if you could post some shots of the internals as well to get a picture of the level of wrinkling inside. BB and down tube as well as head tube would be nice to see  :)

Sorry but as the bike is fully built I won't be able to help with that.

I did post a photo down the seat tube on this post http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4109.msg45930.html#msg45930. It was very clean.

Other than that, I can only comment that I didn't notice any anomalies when building the bike up. The BB went together fine, same with fork and headtube.

Someone else may be able to provide photos when they receive a frame.

Brady

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2023, 09:40:29 AM »
What size of rear brake rotor are you on this bike? I ordered 160mm to go with Shimano grx brakes, but it doesn’t fit. I’m wondering if I need an adapter for the calliper or if I need to go down to a 140mm?

If an adapter is needed any suggestions where to find it?

Thanks

l45er

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2023, 07:53:29 PM »
What size of rear brake rotor are you on this bike? I ordered 160mm to go with Shimano grx brakes, but it doesn’t fit. I’m wondering if I need an adapter for the calliper or if I need to go down to a 140mm?

If an adapter is needed any suggestions where to find it?

Thanks

I used 140mm rear rotor. Fitted without an adapter. I have 160mm front, 140mm rear.

I'm guessing you would need Shimano SM-MA-R160-DD 160mm Flat Mount Rear Disc Brake Adaptor.