Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 60347 times)

BeePiers

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #330 on: July 22, 2024, 10:44:15 AM »
Whilst my frame is being made, the parts required to make this more usable have arrived.

SL7 Compression ring, direct mount hanger, and headset bearings.

I'm struggling to find OEM parts for the top tube cover, down tube frame protector etc. What are they called? I can't find them on the Cervelo website.
DownTube Protector (PRO-DT-ASP)
I've been unable to find the cover for the top bottle bolts in stock anywhere, but all of the part numbers you will need are in this manual, mainly on page 4: https://cervelo.cdn.prismic.io/cervelo/e8e40a3a-7f87-448d-a24e-8bc430c2fda2_aspero-5_manual_v3.1_web.pdf

Phaxe

« Reply #331 on: July 22, 2024, 11:16:05 PM »
DownTube Protector (PRO-DT-ASP)
I've been unable to find the cover for the top bottle bolts in stock anywhere, but all of the part numbers you will need are in this manual, mainly on page 4: https://cervelo.cdn.prismic.io/cervelo/e8e40a3a-7f87-448d-a24e-8bc430c2fda2_aspero-5_manual_v3.1_web.pdf

Given how tricky a lot of these parts are to find, it'd be nice if we could 3D print them!

this is dog

« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2024, 02:42:53 AM »
Thanks.  I went way back in the thread and saw yours, I took a lot of inspiration from your build up!

Ah nice, that's awesome!

mikelmtb

« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2024, 05:22:05 AM »
I completed my build Thursday (the same day my frameset arrived).
I had all of my build components on hand and was ready.  No issues at all, I purchased this frame from another vendor on Ali, but its identical to the Airwolf YFR068/Cervelo Aspero 5.  Ordered mid-June, shipped on 7/15, rec'd 7/18.

A few notes, just like everyone else -
The headset bearings and compression ring are different than Cervelo, but I found the quality of my bearings to be good.  I chose to go with the SL7 split ring.
The through axle thread on frame is different than Cervelo, since the thread is an insert on the frame vs an independent nut.
The Rear derailleur hanger is different.
This frame lacks bottle cage threads on the downside of downtube.
This frame lacks frame protection on the downtube, though I had OE Cervelo pieces ready and they are self-adhesive.
The remainder of the frame is a 1:1 clone with Cervelo Aspero 5, all the way down to the paint.

I used full Sram Red AXS 1x XPLR and Zipp 303 firecrest wheels, so I can't comment on the FD.  I removed the FD Hanger and replaced it with the Cervelo blanking plate.  The routing of the two brake hoses was remarkably easy.  I thought the idea of wide BB might be an issue for me, since Red does not come aftermarket with the wide spindle.  I live in flat, flat Florida, so the idea of a larger chainring was kind of appealing...but I am a spinner, not a grinder.  I went with a 42T ring on the standard width spindle.  There ARE some OE SRAM Red Wide offerings but they are very rare and hard to come by, I even confirmed this with SRAM Support.  My setup is NOT wide, and I have zero issues.  I am running a 42T 1X ring and the 3.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB.  I'd be reluctant to go larger and for me, personally, its not needed.

So far, two rides logged (30 and 25 miles) - nothing significant to report, other than the standard re-tightening of things after the first ride.

Are you sure that you don´t have any play on the headset?
As far as I remember, original bearings have a 0,5mm bigger ID than the SL7 compression ring.
I think that you should have installed SL7 bearings together with the SL7 compression ring, which have a ID that matches compression ring.

As I noted before on this thread, mech hanger is also the same as the SL7.

About crank axle lenght. I have a RED-QUARQ crankset, normal road widht. With double ring 34-50, the gap from inner ring to the chaninstay is minimal, but I didn´t have any rubbing problem during more than 4.000 kms.

Wvthieu

« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2024, 10:44:40 AM »
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I've been wanting to build up an open mold frame for over a decade but I have talked myself out of it every time. Well this is finally the time. I plan on pulling the trigger on the frame once I pick a color-hopefully tonight. I really like the pearl pics I've seen on here but some of the metallic colors are awesome as well. I'm also piecing together a Sram Force AXS groupset-in part because I don't want to screw around with routing the shifter cables for either mech or Di2. Before I start actually purchasing parts I've got a few questions:

For those running Sram, do you use the "wide" crankset and FD? I don't think it's necessary but I'm tempted.

Has anyone purchased the airwolf carbon wheels? I'm looking at the 30mm version-not sure on depth yet. Any depth recs or other brands I should check out around the same price point?

From my understanding, I need to also purchase the Specialized SL7 compression cap and matching headset bearings. Is there anything else I must have to make the frame work? Is there anything else you recommend?

How long did shipping take for you? The website says 7-10 days but I refuse to put my hope in that.

I'm pretty psyched to get this thing built up and will hopefully post some pics of my progress.

Thanks!

I bought a thread together Bottom Bracket from ZTTO (Thread Lock, DUB 29mm, BBright PF79-77) and I needed to use a Dub wide crank

BeePiers

« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2024, 11:11:48 AM »
My guess is that you needed wide because of the extra space that the thread together bb has vs nearly flush mount for a press in.
If wide is required, there are a lot of options, but not for SRAM Red.
There’s a video on YouTube where someone was able to get a 48T aero 1x chainring on a force standard spindle on this bike.

Wvthieu

« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2024, 11:25:32 AM »
I have received my frameset a couple of weeks ago. I had no issues with the headset or the BB.
Shipping took a little bit longer than expected to receive the frame. Communication was ok. I couldn't make up my mind on the color and I really liked the one l45er got so I went for something similar.
I've rode around 1000km without any issues. It's a very fun bike to ride. It's the perfect all road bike. I'm even thinking of ordering another one in a cool chameleon color.

I noticed that there's a mark / crack near the axle. Everything feels solid and I think it's just the edge of a carbon sheet. Should I be worried? What do you guys think ?

Sand101

« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2024, 03:34:27 PM »
I have received my frameset a couple of weeks ago. I had no issues with the headset or the BB.
Shipping took a little bit longer than expected to receive the frame. Communication was ok. I couldn't make up my mind on the color and I really liked the one l45er got so I went for something similar.
I've rode around 1000km without any issues. It's a very fun bike to ride. It's the perfect all road bike. I'm even thinking of ordering another one in a cool chameleon color.

I noticed that there's a mark / crack near the axle. Everything feels solid and I think it's just the edge of a carbon sheet. Should I be worried? What do you guys think ?

Looks to me like they machined part way though a layer and a bit spalled off. 

Phaxe

« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2024, 07:37:17 PM »
I echo what everyone has said. The paint job is great, installed the SL7 compression ring and headset bearings and it's nice and flush.

Waiting for more parts to arrive before I can properly begin the build, but I'm excited!

edinhog7

« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2024, 06:11:16 AM »
My bike

frankpaul1

« Reply #340 on: July 30, 2024, 06:58:05 AM »
This is completely clear and makes sense of course. However some users mentioned that the expander moves out of the steerer tube while compressing the system. I just wanted to note that the expander sits tight in the steerer tube in my case.

This happens to me as well. I'm able to put the stem on and fit the expander in the fork. But after tightening the expander and trying to compress the headset the expander comes back up out of the fork. This is making it impossible to tighten and eliminate play. I'm already using the SL7 compression ring. Any tips? Should I buy another expander (J&L perhaps) or use carbon paste. Any tips are welcome to prevent the expander from coming back up out of the fork.

Phaxe

« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2024, 06:10:37 PM »
This happens to me as well. I'm able to put the stem on and fit the expander in the fork. But after tightening the expander and trying to compress the headset the expander comes back up out of the fork. This is making it impossible to tighten and eliminate play. I'm already using the SL7 compression ring. Any tips? Should I buy another expander (J&L perhaps) or use carbon paste. Any tips are welcome to prevent the expander from coming back up out of the fork.

I'm not sure if this helps, but what I did was tighten the expander plug whilst it's in the fork, then assemble the top plate and attach the top hex screw not too tightly. Now, the expander plug is firmly in the fork and there's no play.

Phaxe

« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2024, 04:09:28 AM »
Finished for now. Everything seems pretty rock solid! Went with the eGR as I wanted to keep it budget. All in, this bike has cost me AUD$1750, and it’s quite the bike for that cost!

rasch

« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2024, 07:11:15 AM »
Finished for now. Everything seems pretty rock solid! Went with the eGR as I wanted to keep it budget. All in, this bike has cost me AUD$1750, and it’s quite the bike for that cost!

Great budget control. My best was 1.6k eur with a second hand 105. And I thought I had it as tight as possible

jclaytyler

« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2024, 09:28:22 AM »

Looks great. I'm interested to see how you like the eGR. I was tempted by their other e groupsets but eventually went with a mix of used and new Force AXS. I have just about all the parts for the build in now, just waiting for the frame/wheels.