Author Topic: When do you change the cassette?  (Read 1740 times)

coffeebreak

When do you change the cassette?
« on: May 30, 2023, 11:11:24 AM »
I would like to know how do folks here know when to change the cassette? My chain is skipping on 6/7th cogs and I am wondering if its time to change?

jannmayer

Re: When do you change the cassette?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 04:41:34 PM »
By skipping, you mean that the chain is lifting of off the teeth? As opposed to trying to shift up/down on it's own?

If so, then it might be time to change the cassette. I've had skipping cogs after replacing a really worn chain with a new one.

00Garza

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
Not super scientific, but I go by tooth profile and overall performance. Compare what the teeth look like vs what they're supposed to look like. If there's a major difference, it might be time to change. Or if indexing is getting nearly impossible, its probably time to change it as well.

Note that chains and cassette will wear together, so sometimes its necessary to change both at the same time.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 11:51:30 AM »
If they start looking like puppy fangs as opposed to human teeth, then it's probably time for a cassette change!

coffeebreak

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 11:57:29 AM »
Hahaha hadn't thought of it this way. The "fangs" for now definitely look like human teeth. I did a full re-indexing yesterday and problem has minimized (at least on big chain ring) though on small chain ring I did skip cogs a couple of times. I need to do one more careful assessment if one of the teeth is bent.

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 11:59:45 AM »
Not super scientific, but I go by tooth profile and overall performance. Compare what the teeth look like vs what they're supposed to look like.

I was at my LBS and they said the same thing. Basically there is no definite way of telling. He said a lot of his customers have a set limit of miles at which they change chain and cassette regardless how its performing - which honestly feels an overkill but people do tend to spend a LOT of money on this hobby, so..

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »
Hahaha hadn't thought of it this way. The "fangs" for now definitely look like human teeth. I did a full re-indexing yesterday and problem has minimized (at least on big chain ring) though on small chain ring I did skip cogs a couple of times. I need to do one more careful assessment if one of the teeth is bent.

Is it skipping cogs on single indexed shifts? I'd make sure the RD cable is pulled tightly through the frame. I always give it a light tug to remove any cable slack before guiding it through the rear RD cable. If that isn't the problem I'd make sure the derailleur hanger is straight.

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 11:32:42 AM »
I was at my LBS and they said the same thing. Basically there is no definite way of telling. He said a lot of his customers have a set limit of miles at which they change chain and cassette regardless how its performing - which honestly feels an overkill but people do tend to spend a LOT of money on this hobby, so..

Bike shops in London used to be notorious for telling you they had to change your cassette and chain anytime you'd bring the bike in. Would be unsafe to keep that cassette and so on. They were borderline scammers though.

wandulus

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 01:13:15 AM »
The installed cassette (SRAM Force AXS 12s) has about 20K Km on it. 3 chains, lubed once a week with Squirt. Looks fine, only paint has gone (bigger cogs are black).

I couldn't undestand when someone posts that a cassette lasts 5K, or a chain 3K.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 01:25:02 AM »
The installed cassette (SRAM Force AXS 12s) has about 20K Km on it. 3 chains, lubed once a week with Squirt. Looks fine, only paint has gone (bigger cogs are black).

I couldn't undestand when someone posts that a cassette lasts 5K, or a chain 3K.

That is because you use a quality cassette, probably good chains and you wax  ;)

If you use Ali cassettes, 5K is very lucky sometimes ;D

wandulus

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 04:37:23 AM »
That is because you use a quality cassette, probably good chains and you wax  ;)

If you use Ali cassettes, 5K is very lucky sometimes ;D
Not yet in the wax wagon (maybe on next cassette). Also surprised on 12s XDR cassettes on Ali, same price as Force or Rival in EU.