Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 115807 times)

amacal1

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #825 on: June 04, 2024, 10:06:53 AM »

Also, why is LTWOO charging 100$ more for the option "with box". Is the version without box used in any way?

The "box" version seems to have full-on, retail store levels of packaging: fancy box with sharp marketing print and photos, molded internal parts holders, nicer packaging all around, printed manuals and other marketing materials, etc. etc. The photos make it all look super nice. I think it's kind of cool that you have the option to not pay $100 for fancy printed cardboard and molded other cardboard I'm just going to throw away. It's kind of hard to believe that the "no box" option is that much cheaper, though, because the size of the box it came in and the amount of packing foam and little bubble-wrap-baggies was ridiculous. But, besides all the bubble wrap and packing foam, it was literally just a box of random parts in bags without any instructions or packing lists or anything. You still get all the parts and hardware, but no extras of any kind. I'm not sure if the "box" version comes with the brake bleed kit, but I think it might. I can tell you for sure that you do not get a bleed kit with the "no box" version.

Serge_K

« Reply #826 on: June 04, 2024, 10:29:01 AM »
Afaik, the difference is shipping cost. Also to consider whether the mineral oil and lithium batteries are included or not in the box version. International shipping of liquids & lithium is a can of worms.
I got my er9 groups in retail boxes, without lithium and without oil. The boxes are useless and just created more trash.

jonathanf2

« Reply #827 on: June 04, 2024, 11:30:39 AM »
Chirping in as someone who's had their ER9 since August.

done 4000+km, mostly dry riding with the occasional wet ride and it's given me no major issues.
I have shrink wrapped the RD plug and left the FD plug as is, regularly hose down the bike during the wash process and stood up to it just fine.

Only complaint so far is not being able to see the shifter battery level in the app.
I've had the right shifter battery go flat on me ~3000km? so had to change the RD shifting to the left shifter through the app, very handy.

Groupset is also fairly light with the Giant TCR in a M/L weighing in at 7.3kg without pedals. I'd say this groupset provides decent value during the aliexpress discount seasons.

I'm going to give the heat shrink a try. I only clean my bike with a wet cloth and I don't ride in the rain. I carry spare CR2032 batteries in my saddle bag, plus a small screwdriver just in case my shifter batteries die out.

zerstorer

« Reply #828 on: June 04, 2024, 05:03:11 PM »
Even though I used liquid tape on the RD initially. I removed it for an adjustment and haven't re-applied it since. Bike has been through several washes and wet rides and is ok.

I think the key thing is to just ensure the plug is securely fitted all the way.

amacal1

« Reply #829 on: June 04, 2024, 07:17:46 PM »
Even though I used liquid tape on the RD initially. I removed it for an adjustment and haven't re-applied it since. Bike has been through several washes and wet rides and is ok.

I think the key thing is to just ensure the plug is securely fitted all the way.

Yeah, I don't think you need to go nuts trying to waterproof the connection. If that were super important, I would think it would be designed differently. I used some dielectric grease for the connection and haven't done anything else. So far, so good.

rockerplates.de

« Reply #830 on: June 05, 2024, 05:37:37 AM »
Without box version is smaller, with all items bubble wrapped. I guess it's easier and cheaper for the vendors to ship it that way.
Yes,
it is cheaper....and usually the prices are so low, that every buck counts for them...also, for europe, if they put it in a bag, it is more likely not being checked and 48 % antidumping tax applied.
But the main reason is just shippingcosts.

lantz

« Reply #831 on: June 05, 2024, 11:45:55 PM »
How did you get this to work? I haven't been able to sort how to get my Karoo2 to connected with my l-twoo erx.

I use my ltwoo er9 with hammerhead karoo2 but the battery level doesn't seem accurate or granular enough, only displaying low/mid/high.

Only the ltwoo app gives the exact percentage.
However you still need to be careful, sometimes the value displayed might not be correct.

Only the value you see when you plug and unplug a charging source is the accurate one.

Incidentally try swabbing the charging contacts with a isopropyl swab before you charge. Dirt and grime might affect the charging. I hope the next version will have some proper covers for the charging port.

I have 2 sets of ER9, one used for about 6mths on my gravel bike and another that I got last month for a new build. Both are fine at the moment

zerstorer

« Reply #832 on: June 06, 2024, 03:26:30 AM »
How did you get this to work? I haven't been able to sort how to get my Karoo2 to connected with my l-twoo erx.

Just add it to the list of sensors and then make sure you add the gear to one of your profiles. Its pretty straightforward.

Tijoe

« Reply #833 on: June 06, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »
I carry spare CR2032 batteries in my saddle bag, plus a small screwdriver just in case my shifter batteries die out.
I carry a spare CR2032 and taped to it is a larger coin (Quarter)  At least on my Wheeltop EDS levers, a coin works better to open the battery cover than a screwdriver.

jonathanf2

« Reply #834 on: June 06, 2024, 09:40:14 AM »
I carry a spare CR2032 and taped to it is a larger coin (Quarter)  At least on my Wheeltop EDS levers, a coin works better to open the battery cover than a screwdriver.

LTwoo wireless shifters use tiny screws for the battery holder, so a tiny screwdriver is needed.

Luckily the screwdriver probably weighs only like 3 grams.

amacal1

« Reply #835 on: June 06, 2024, 10:41:31 AM »

For my eGR, I connect it to my Stages M200 using ANT+ and it seems to think it is a Di2. It reports which gear I'm in and also battery condition (but not an actual percent, just a full/high/critical condition).

LTwoo wireless shifters use tiny screws for the battery holder, so a tiny screwdriver is needed.

Not sure how the eR9 is different from the eGR, but I found it very difficult to roll back the hood and open the battery door when I first installed them. I'm kind of dreading changing those batteries again, and in my head I've completely ruled out trying to do that on the side of the road. Maybe it will be easier now that the rubber is broken in, I'll find out probably in the next few months when I have to change them again. If it's just as bad, I'll just shift using my phone until I get home, lol (or, more likely, use the app to switch control to my other shifter).

Serge_K

« Reply #836 on: June 06, 2024, 11:55:57 AM »
Not sure how the eR9 is different from the eGR, but I found it very difficult to roll back the hood and open the battery door when I first installed them. I'm kind of dreading changing those batteries again, and in my head I've completely ruled out trying to do that on the side of the road. Maybe it will be easier now that the rubber is broken in, I'll find out probably in the next few months when I have to change them again. If it's just as bad, I'll just shift using my phone until I get home, lol (or, more likely, use the app to switch control to my other shifter).

I changed a battery in the right shifter a few days ago. You only need access to the screw, then you can just pull the cover. You dont need the whole cover to be exposed is my point. Sliding the battery in and out was very easy (i used pliers to remove the old one, but i'm sure that i could have done it with my fingers as well). Then you slide the cover back in. No need to pull the hood cover very far.

Jimin

« Reply #837 on: June 07, 2024, 09:07:36 AM »
Are they rim wheels compatible?

amacal1

« Reply #838 on: June 07, 2024, 09:58:00 AM »
Are they rim wheels compatible?

The Ltwoo electronic groupsets are all disc brake compatible only. Rim braking is not possible with the Ltwoo electronic setups, unless maybe you use some kind of third-party hydraulic rim brake caliper. I don't know much about that, so maybe others can speak to whether that's really possible or not.

The  Wheeltop brand of electronic groupsets has an option for a cable-pulled rim-brake setup.

jonathanf2

« Reply #839 on: June 09, 2024, 12:08:05 PM »
The other day my ER9 groupset stopped shifting mid-ride. Luckily I was in a useable gear to ride back home. At first I thought I was having issues with a loose/dirty connector, but for some reason every time I flipped the bike around, the groupset would go to sleep and wouldn't wake up until I plugged the charging cable into the RD. I double checked and cleaned all connectors, I then put everything back together, but still same issue. I even did a factory reset with the shifters and RD button. In addition I restored the default settings using the LTwoo app (I wrote down all my fine-tune settings). Still it would sleep when I flipped the bike upside down!

I then swapped the batteries out for a fresh pair and the sleep issue disappeared! The weird part is the batteries would work when the bike wasn't flipped. I'm not sure if it's the batteries or the battery holder that was causing the problem. I plan to order a higher quality set of batteries just in-case.