Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 113216 times)

jonathanf2

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2024, 04:47:41 PM »
Bad news, my batteries died again at the same exact location they died last time!

I now suspect it's the battery brand causing the issues. If you're in the US, I'd avoid the Skywolfeye 14500 Batteries found on Ebay. I've swapped them out for another Ebay battery set under the brand EBL. The description on this brand seems to indicate they are of higher quality and cost more. Though I'll have to see if they can hold charge without dying on me during long rides. At least this time around I didn't reset my settings and just did a simple battery swap to fix the issue.

amacal1

« Reply #856 on: June 15, 2024, 06:21:52 PM »
Bad news, my batteries died again at the same exact location they died last time!

I now suspect it's the battery brand causing the issues. If you're in the US, I'd avoid the Skywolfeye 14500 Batteries found on Ebay. I've swapped them out for another Ebay battery set under the brand EBL. The description on this brand seems to indicate they are of higher quality and cost more. Though I'll have to see if they can hold charge without dying on me during long rides. At least this time around I didn't reset my settings and just did a simple battery swap to fix the issue.

I have some EBL products in the form of NiMH rechargeable AA and AAA batteries and chargers. They're not bad, maybe not the best I've ever used but aat least I think they're legit enough to trust. I ended up going through a website that sells lithium brands for for the flashlight hobbyists.  I figured they had a long established history with lots of good/bad reviews and pretty demanding use.

raisinberry777

« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2024, 01:11:53 AM »
L-Twoo spares listing here on AliExpress shows the 2nd gen ER9 shifters so hopefully a general release is not far away:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007123480001.html

jonathanf2

« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2024, 07:17:41 AM »
L-Twoo spares listing here on AliExpress shows the 2nd gen ER9 shifters so hopefully a general release is not far away:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007123480001.html

That's all 2nd gen ER9 equipment. The listing appears to have the new FD design.

hsaus

« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2024, 07:42:29 AM »
I replaced the unbranded blue batteries from eBay that I used at first with branded ones from DLG. Specifically the button-top variant from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005871463985.html

So far, so good. I did a 35km ride today with lots of undulating hills, so loads of gear changes, both front and back. By the end of the ride, the battery capacity had dropped from 100% to 99%. The previous unbranded ones dropped more charge from shorter rides.

jonathanf2

« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2024, 10:37:58 AM »
I replaced the unbranded blue batteries from eBay that I used at first with branded ones from DLG. Specifically the button-top variant from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005871463985.html

So far, so good. I did a 35km ride today with lots of undulating hills, so loads of gear changes, both front and back. By the end of the ride, the battery capacity had dropped from 100% to 99%. The previous unbranded ones dropped more charge from shorter rides.

What's weird is the failure happened at the same exact spot it failed last time. I didn't have problems with these batteries prior. I'm wondering if there's a possible glitch with the battery holder itself as well. I'm hoping it's just the batteries causing the problems. I do have a 2nd ER9 groupset I'm thinking of installing on my other road bike, but I've been hesitant mainly because Ultegra mechanical runs so well! Lol

amacal1

« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2024, 11:39:18 AM »
What's weird is the failure happened at the same exact spot it failed last time. I didn't have problems with these batteries prior. I'm wondering if there's a possible glitch with the battery holder itself as well. I'm hoping it's just the batteries causing the problems. I do have a 2nd ER9 groupset I'm thinking of installing on my other road bike, but I've been hesitant mainly because Ultegra mechanical runs so well! Lol

If your unit is old enough, that might be true. The first units had a sheetmetal spring tab that was apparently prone to either failure or simply not having enough stroke. It was eventually upgraded at some point to have a coil-type battery spring that was more robust and also had more compliance. You may wish to check which type you have.

jonathanf2

« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2024, 12:00:36 PM »
If your unit is old enough, that might be true. The first units had a sheetmetal spring tab that was apparently prone to either failure or simply not having enough stroke. It was eventually upgraded at some point to have a coil-type battery spring that was more robust and also had more compliance. You may wish to check which type you have.

I have the spring type. Maybe one of my cables have gone bad. Who knows. At least the AliEx LTwoo store has restocked spare parts. Anyways, I'll tough it out and see if these EBL batteries hold up. Going on a Father's Day ride to test them out!

coppo

« Reply #863 on: June 17, 2024, 12:05:04 AM »
Hi all, I'm considering purchasing either the Erx or the Er9 from ltwoo for a new build, but there are few points on which I'd like to ask about your experience:

1) indexing of the gear: from what I can read on the forum and bits and pieces of information from Ltwoo on AliExpress (I could not find a comprehensive description of the groupset) the indexing is done via the partner app. Is there a way to use and index the group without the need to install any app?
Can you press a combination of buttons on the levers that will put the group into a "indexing mode" where you can go through each cogs and do micro adjustments just by clicking on the buttons and then memorizing that specific configuration or the app is the only way to go? (Opposite to what is possible with Shimano ).
My concern is that if in the near future the app becomes unusable (lack of support, new OS version of iOS or Android that do not supper and old app) I will be be left with an electronic for upset that I cannot index anymore

2) poor support from Ltwoo and availability of spare parts: I currently have two ltwoo groupset and I'm very happy with them (GRT and R9) but I recently broke the right shifters. When contacting Ltwoo official store or ltwoo factory store on Ali they are very very slow at replying and the only answer I got is that the R9 is out of production so they are unsure if they can sell me the single shifter and I should buy both (that apparently cost more than the full groupset). My concern is the following: mechanical groupset from ltwoo are fairly cheap, but if the same issue happen with the Erx or Er9 I wouldn't want to be payong an electronic groupset twice.

rockerplates.de

« Reply #864 on: June 17, 2024, 01:44:29 AM »
Hi all, I'm considering purchasing either the Erx or the Er9 from ltwoo for a new build, but there are few points on which I'd like to ask about your experience:

1) indexing of the gear: from what I can read on the forum and bits and pieces of information from Ltwoo on AliExpress (I could not find a comprehensive description of the groupset) the indexing is done via the partner app. Is there a way to use and index the group without the need to install any app?
Can you press a combination of buttons on the levers that will put the group into a "indexing mode" where you can go through each cogs and do micro adjustments just by clicking on the buttons and then memorizing that specific configuration or the app is the only way to go? (Opposite to what is possible with Shimano ).
My concern is that if in the near future the app becomes unusable (lack of support, new OS version of iOS or Android that do not supper and old app) I will be be left with an electronic for upset that I cannot index anymore

2) poor support from Ltwoo and availability of spare parts: I currently have two ltwoo groupset and I'm very happy with them (GRT and R9) but I recently broke the right shifters. When contacting Ltwoo official store or ltwoo factory store on Ali they are very very slow at replying and the only answer I got is that the R9 is out of production so they are unsure if they can sell me the single shifter and I should buy both (that apparently cost more than the full groupset). My concern is the following: mechanical groupset from ltwoo are fairly cheap, but if the same issue happen with the Erx or Er9 I wouldn't want to be payong an electronic groupset twice.

i have noticed very few mechanicals defects on non electronic groupsets...but they are there...i have plenty of broken shifters after a years or so....then trouble starts: getting proper spares....we have given up on asking ltwoo for that..which ends up in big trouble for our customers, as they need to get the new part themselve somehow..there is no proper spare part infrastructure and communication..that is the major downside on this brand.....they like to sell, but they ignore any problems which occur and fail to help..they just do not care...even domestic sellers report that behaviour..
with electronic groupsets, its worse...because the groups are not as cheap to trash them...
So if you are willilng to have backup bikes or backup groupsets which help reducing downtimes and if you are willing to live with all the compromises....go for it..

coppo

« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2024, 03:09:27 AM »
i have noticed very few mechanicals defects on non electronic groupsets...but they are there...i have plenty of broken shifters after a years or so....then trouble starts: getting proper spares....we have given up on asking ltwoo for that..which ends up in big trouble for our customers, as they need to get the new part themselve somehow..there is no proper spare part infrastructure and communication..that is the major downside on this brand.....they like to sell, but they ignore any problems which occur and fail to help..they just do not care...even domestic sellers report that behaviour..
with electronic groupsets, its worse...because the groups are not as cheap to trash them...
So if you are willilng to have backup bikes or backup groupsets which help reducing downtimes and if you are willing to live with all the compromises....go for it..

Thanks that answer question n2 - but I kinda knew it already about Ltwoo support

Does anyone that actually owns an erX or Er9 groupset have experience about the first question, i.e. indexing without the need of using the app but relying on physical buttons only?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #866 on: June 17, 2024, 03:52:36 AM »
I honestly can not imagine why anyone in their right mind is still buying these groupsets now... The failure rate is so enormous and the aftersale service is so horrible...
The low price is just not worth getting stuck somewhere (and the question seems to be when and not if this will happen) without any chance of repairing the groupset on the road...

rockerplates.de

« Reply #867 on: June 17, 2024, 04:22:00 AM »
Thanks that answer question n2 - but I kinda knew it already about Ltwoo support

Does anyone that actually owns an erX or Er9 groupset have experience about the first question, i.e. indexing without the need of using the app but relying on physical buttons only?
as far as my questions have been answered, app is mandatory.

raisinberry777

« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2024, 04:40:48 AM »
I honestly can not imagine why anyone in their right mind is still buying these groupsets now... The failure rate is so enormous and the aftersale service is so horrible...
The low price is just not worth getting stuck somewhere (and the question seems to be when and not if this will happen) without any chance of repairing the groupset on the road...

I expect it's because everyone likes to believe that it won't happen to them.

It's a shame because, when it's working, it seems like it's great. I'd love to try the EGR but the risk of being stranded in a remote area is way too high. I'd love to hear what L-Twoo have done to try and improve this in the second generation.

jonathanf2

« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2024, 10:27:45 AM »

I'd still buy the ER9/X over again even with the minor issues I've had. I've been able to figure out all my problems. Plus spare parts replacement for Di2/SRAM are still more expensive. If any major issues are going to occur, it'll be the RD. Protect the ports, get good batteries and make sure not to damage the cables. At least up to this point, ER9/X replacements parts are available and for reasonable prices.

If that's a concern, then I wouldn't even consider an electronic groupset. That's probably why most bike tourers stick to mechanical + steel frame bikes for ease of maintenance. It's not like 10 speed Di2 is still properly supported. Plus you could always put the Ltwoo app on an old device/ipad/tablet dedicated to tuning the groupset.

I have no particular bias with electronic vs mechanical. They both work. At this point either 105 or Ultegra mechanical are the best bang-for-buck groupsets available right now.