Author Topic: Perfect Shift/Brake Lever Alignment and Symmetry  (Read 2560 times)

Sebastian

Perfect Shift/Brake Lever Alignment and Symmetry
« on: June 26, 2023, 02:02:10 AM »
Hi everyone,

serious question:
How is everyone adjusting and setting up their brake/shift levers on their handlebars?
If you're about as OCD as me when it comes to setting them up perfectly symmetrical, then perhaps you understand my struggle.  ;D

I'm usually trying to set them up by eye and then I'm using a spirit level to make sure they're both the same height. What I'm struggling with for instance is how to set the inward tilt up exactly symmetrical. I'm not running my shifters set up straight but slightly pointing inwards. Not nearly as extreme as some examples you see, but still. But I'm never quite sure they're set up the same. I tried a tape measure but I don't really think it's of much use there.

There is a specific jig-like tool for this that the youtuber "Rides of Japan" did a video about. But honestly, I can't be bothered to pay 100 EUR/USD for a tool like that. Any cheaper alternatives that I'm missing?

s3si1u

Re: Perfect Shift/Brake Lever Alignment and Symmetry
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 12:32:41 PM »
I just eyeball it and tighten. Then I sit on the bike and assume the position to see how the shifters feel, adjust them once more, and tighten to spec. That's about it, really. :D
I occasionally adjust them after a few rides if necessary, but I've never worried about it too much.

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 12:53:30 PM »
I just use a flexible tape measure to measure from the bottom of the clamp to the tip of the drops. Isn't that what most people do?

jannmayer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
I just eyeball it and tighten. Then I sit on the bike and assume the position to see how the shifters feel, adjust them once more, and tighten to spec. That's about it, really. :D
I occasionally adjust them after a few rides if necessary, but I've never worried about it too much.

This is my approach as well. After an adjustment or two they appear perfectly aligned to me. If I can't see or feel any difference, it's good enough!

My cheap computer mount holds the computer at a slight angle and that bugs me almost enough to do something about it.   :D

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 02:23:59 PM »
It helps if you buy bars that have the measuring lines on them.

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 04:05:16 PM »
I just use a flexible tape measure to measure from the bottom of the clamp to the tip of the drops. Isn't that what most people do?

That helps with setting the height the same for both shifters. But it doesn’t help with setting them up symmetrically.

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 04:09:34 PM »
It helps if you buy bars that have the measuring lines on them.

The markings and the grip tape are not always perfectly the same on both sides of the bars, particularly on cheap chiner bars, I found. So using those as a reference might be misleading. Also, I had a fairly pricy FSA bar in the past and the marking for the stem in the middle was off by around one centimetre (!). It felt off when riding and when I measured it my suspicion was confirmed. So that’s why I now confirm it with a tape measure and a spirit level. I just need that peace of mind.

bichler.bua

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 03:26:39 AM »
Abbey Bike Tools Lever Setter and an AliExpress rear derailleur hanger alignment tool if you don't want to spend the money for the BiciSupport BS184

Sebastian

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 08:25:52 AM »
Abbey Bike Tools Lever Setter and an AliExpress rear derailleur hanger alignment tool if you don't want to spend the money for the BiciSupport BS184

Top Tip! Thanks. You could do it even cheaper with a simple adapter instead of the Abbey bike tools thingy. After all that’s what it is. An adapter from an M5 thread to M10. So you could hack yourself a dedicated tool for around 30 quid instead of 100+

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 10:29:43 AM »
Here's a cheap one  8)

I position the brake hoods on the handlebars, so that they are in a horizontal extension from the top of the handlebars.

Then I take a piece of string.
And I place it horizontally at the base of the top of the brake hood, and by parallax with the handlebars, I can see if they are at the same height.
Otherwise, I raise or lower one of the two brake hoods.

Then I measure the distance from the tip of the brake hood to, for example, the opposite side where the stem attaches to the handlebars.
It should be identical on both sides.
Otherwise, I rotate one of the brake hoods inward or outward.

bichler.bua

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 01:34:26 AM »
Top Tip! Thanks. You could do it even cheaper with a simple adapter instead of the Abbey bike tools thingy. After all that’s what it is. An adapter from an M5 thread to M10. So you could hack yourself a dedicated tool for around 30 quid instead of 100+

Correct, did this myself and it is working. Note though, rear derailleur thread is a M10 x 1.0 (and not x 1.5 like a standard nut).
In the end you combine methods, measure twice, trust your feel and you will find a perfect position

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 02:18:37 AM »
Correct, did this myself and it is working. Note though, rear derailleur thread is a M10 x 1.0 (and not x 1.5 like a standard nut).
In the end you combine methods, measure twice, trust your feel and you will find a perfect position

Could you point me towards a thread adapter? I can't find anything with these exact specs.

bichler.bua

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 04:50:11 AM »
Could you point me towards a thread adapter? I can't find anything with these exact specs.
I bought a random rear derailleur hanger from Aliexpress only for the thread and glued it on top of thumbnut (either M5 or M10, depending on your liking)

Sebastian

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 07:26:57 AM »
I bought a random rear derailleur hanger from Aliexpress only for the thread and glued it on top of thumbnut (either M5 or M10, depending on your liking)
Good idea. I got an RD hanger lying around. I’ll give it a go.