Author Topic: Yishun R086-D Aero Road  (Read 20542 times)

patliean1

Re: Yishun R086-D Aero Road
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2023, 12:05:15 PM »
My Yishun R086-D review is live

YouTube Title: Yishun R086D Review - Budget Perfection

Ludo

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »
Just watched your video, new subscriber, not really a road guy but still like your reviews. fair play to you for calling them out on the pricing issue!

PLA

« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2023, 03:30:18 AM »
My Yishun R086-D review is live

YouTube Title: Yishun R086D Review - Budget Perfection

disappointed by the lack of any obscene jokes in this one
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

CJ

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:04 AM »
Does anyone know where these plastic caps go?

chughes

« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »
Hi A and B go over your cables and hoses, to help to keep water out the frame. C is to cover/cap an unused hole

CJ

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2023, 02:38:17 PM »
I’m assuming plug A goes into the front/real derailleur holes? (I’m wireless)
 Any idea what the hole at the base of the seat tube is for? I’ve never seen that before.

I still don’t know what to do with B and C  :-\

joegal

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2023, 03:06:30 PM »
I’m assuming plug A goes into the front/real derailleur holes? (I’m wireless)
 Any idea what the hole at the base of the seat tube is for? I’ve never seen that before.

I still don’t know what to do with B and C  :-\

The hole on the seat tube is for the Di2 cable.

chughes

« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2023, 03:20:52 PM »
Yes as Joegal said its for the Di2 cable (also Ltwoo electronic group-set). You would use if if you did not have a one by set-up to control the front derailleur

chughes

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2023, 08:26:38 PM »
Anyone tried this frameset with a carbon spoke wheelset with a rim depth of 45mm or less. What's the  ride feel like, especially bad payment? Considering getting probably a 40mm depth carbon spoke wheelset for this frame

CJ

« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2023, 01:12:33 AM »
Anyone tried this frameset with a carbon spoke wheelset with a rim depth of 45mm or less. What's the  ride feel like, especially bad payment? Considering getting probably a 40mm depth carbon spoke wheelset for this frame

Finished my build today w/ Elite Drive 50D wheels. Taking her out for a spin tomorrow. Roads can be rough here in Dallas TX, I'll report back w/ impressions and hopefully some footage.

chughes

« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2024, 09:54:33 AM »
@CJ any update?

CJ

« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2024, 05:37:00 PM »
@CJ any update?

Sorry! Been having way too much fun on this bike to post but alas...today the fun ended, at least temporarily.

I'll post my impressions shortly...

CJ

« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2024, 12:02:12 AM »
After 11 rides logging 650mi/1050km with 36 hours in the saddle...I can confidently and enthusiastically say THIS FRAME RIPS!

Rider Stats
Height: 175cm
Weight: 70kg
Inseam: 80cm
Saddle Height: 69cm

Bike Build
Frame: Yishun R086D 50cm (I normally ride a 54cm)
Cockpit: Yishun HB058 40cm Handlebars / ST062 130mm Stem (no spacers)
Components: SRAM Force AXS Hydraulic 48 x 10/28
Wheels: Elitewheels Drive 50D
Tires: Panaracer Agilest TLR 30mm with Muc-off sealant
Total Weight w/ Pedals: 7.7kg / 17lbs

Why the R086D?
As a road/crit/gravel racer, CdA is very important to me.  The vast majority of drag comes from our own body and let's be honest, modern road bikes have long since reached peak efficiency.  My parameters in order of importance: (1) geometry, (2) fit and finish, (3) looks, and (4) affordability/sustainability.

(1), (4), and mostly (3) are knowable prior to purchase. A quick note on (4), I race a lot of crits so spending top $$$$ on a brand name is a value proposition my psyche couldn't handle. As mentioned, modern layups have come a long way. We're in an era of diminishing returns.

When it comes to speed, an aero optimized position is the 2nd-most important facet and the R086's geometry is exactly what I was looking for. Many feel it's too aggressive and that may be true for the majority of riders but there are many that *do desire* to perform well on fast group rides or sportives. Marc Graveline, inventor/founder of one of worlds first aerometers cited an average 22 watt savings to an aero-optimized rider. The speed is there if you want it.

I logged rides of 4:28, 3:04, 6:06, 3:19, 8:24, and 4:09 hours over rough desert roads in New Mexico, USA and despite having back issues from a crash in October the R086D came through with flying colors in terms of comfort. I also did a 1:38 smashfest in a 3-man breakaway with most the time in the drops with no pain or discomfort (other than lactate).

Some footage to get a sense of geometry...

Hoods:

Drops:

I love its looks, the black matte finish is both fantastic and resilient. It's been suggested as an analog to the Canyon Aeroad but I think it also bears resemblance to a Pinarello. I was convinced someone else on this past Sunday's group ride had a Yishun and it was only after a meet-n-greet at a rest step did I determine it was actually a Pinarello (F or Dogma, not sure)...same matte finish (w/ black lettering), same speed-sniffer and flare at the top of the downtube.

Referring back to my parameters, we're left with - and let's face it, the elephant in the room when you're dealing with brands based in Xiamen (2) fit and finish. I'm happy to report the unit I received was flawless (wish I could say the same for the wheels). Caveats below notwithstanding, this bike was a pleasure to build. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised to find a friction-free headset cap without the need of a 0.25mm micro-shim that several had suggested in this thread.

Things to know:
1) Torque guess is as good as mine...
Don't bother looking for instructions in the box because there aren't any.  As other's have noted, only a few items have torque specs stamped on them but Dark17 was kind enough to reach out to Elitewheels to get some general guidelines. From there, it's a bit of trial and error. I initially set the seat post bolt to 9Nm only to have it slide but 11Nm did the trick. Similar issue with the handlebar clamp bolts.

And while I went ahead and stuck caps (A) into the rear/front derailleur and Di2 holes, I still have no idea what B and C were intended for.

2) Go Long!
The rear disc brake flat mount requires not 27mm...not 32mm...but 37mm bolts. I had to order a set and wait a few days.

3) Keep your head(set) straight
I had forgotten to apply carbon paste to the steerer tube so the headset/cable routing cap started skewing left.  While away from home for 2 weeks, I stuck in a rubber gasket for the time being and that did the trick until I could get home and apply the proper fix.  WARNING: Avoid the urge to over-torque if this happens to you. Apply paste, tighten the compression plug to around 6Nm, remove slack then tighten the clamp bolts to 6Nm and you should be fine.

4) Braze On, Braze Off
I made the silly mistake of assuming the braze on bolts were properly torqued from the factory and spent a good hour trying to figure out why my chain kept dropping.

Thank you to the many in this forum who bring awareness to the largely under-appreciated products that come out of the Red Dragon. Special shoutout to Patty who produces wonderful content and helps us all make informed decisions!

Edit 1/10/24 - Rehosted some images
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 08:03:52 AM by CJ »

NormH

« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2024, 07:32:51 AM »
Sweet! But...Tried to buy one yesterday. 48cm and 50cm both out of stock. MOQ is 30 sets, so they couldn't give me a timeline. They were also out of the handlebar I wanted for the build (380x90 but have 380x100 and 400x90). And now, because of your post, I'm even more depressed :'(

patliean1

« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2024, 07:52:56 AM »
I don't understand Yishun's logic here...

I bought a frameset with my own money at what I thought was their standard price. It was only after my initial unboxing video that Yishun emailed me saying they knew who I was and gave me a marginal discount. Granted without informing any of this to me prior to purchase. Why would they send me a discounted frame and a set of wheels to test/review if they weren't looking for promotion or increased B2C business? Maybe their contracted partners got upset?

They lurk these forums too. I know because they told me they do LoL. A part of me wants to leverage my experience to obtain an  LCR017-D frameset, but Yishun was very adamant on making sure I understood Yishun and Light Carbon are two completely different companies (despite the same factory address.)