Author Topic: Cracked Waltly TI 29er frame Repair  (Read 1714 times)

Tijoe

Cracked Waltly TI 29er frame Repair
« on: August 22, 2023, 04:30:40 PM »
I discovered that my Waltly custom 29er TI frame has some bad cracks in the seat stay to seat tube.   
Sumi, at Walty, has proposed 2 approaches.

1.  Send the frame back to China for repair.
2.  Split the cost of a new frame 50/50.

I want what will be the most cost effective approach to either repair or replace the frame.

I need input from the forum to help me figure out the best approach.

-  Does anyone know of a US shop that welds and repairs TI frames?   If yes, what is the typical cost to weld/reinforce/repair the cracks?
-  Does anyone know a cost effective way to ship the frame back to China/Waltly.   -  Looking online I have found shipping estimates between about $400 and $1200
-  I believe that a 50/50 split for a new frame could cost up to $700.

Thanks.

00Garza

Re: Cracked Waltly TI 29er frame Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 09:06:13 AM »
Bummer. And Waltly is one of the more "trusted" ti outfits in china. Personally, I'd go with the new frame option if that's the only option their warranty gives. Was it still under warranty?

jannmayer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 10:44:02 AM »
There should be some repair options in the US. There are a few custom framebuilders that work with titanium and they would probably be able to do the work. I'd look around a bit before going with either of Waltly's options.

That is a bummer. They are supposed to be one of the better Chinese options...

Tijoe

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 11:55:06 PM »
Has anyone in the USA mailed a frame back to China?  What did it cost you?

ottoreni

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 06:10:10 AM »
Not much input here, but that is one of the risks of buying overseas.  They will warranty the frame but you have to cover shipping costs.  If you do ship it back, make sure you have a price on the return shipping, because you will probably have to pay that also.  Return shipping will not be as $$$ as sending it to Waltly, but calculate that in your costs.

I have to look at my Waltly, because I hear creaking from the seat-tube area, and your frame is the second in as many months that I have seen with a crack in that area.

Best of luck!