Author Topic: New IP 036, some day...  (Read 11589 times)

ponderosa

New IP 036, some day...
« on: December 20, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
Having lurked quite a bit on this super helpful site, I pulled the trigger on IP036 from XMIPlay 2 months ago.   I'll be posting pictures as soon as this thing gets here.  ALL the parts are in EXCEPT the frame.  I'm getting a little worried because I'm seeing hardtails (IP 256) that are arriving in 21 days.   Its now been 63 day since I ordered!  ???   Has anyone else had an IP 036 take this long?

Parts highlights

XMIPlay wheels are here, very nice 35mm hookless 3K matte
XT almost everything
1x10 setup
KS LEV dropper
RockShox Revelation RCT3 Fork, 29", 120mm, Solo Air, ML 15, MoCo DNA 3- Pos, Crown Adj, Tapered, 51mm Off-Set, Dif Black
Cane Creek Double Barrel InLine Rear Shock, 165x38mm (6.5 x 1.5")

Carbon_Dude

Re: New IP 036, some day...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »
Sorry to hear the frame is taking longer than expected to arrive.  Mine took a while as well, around 6 weeks.  I also had a custom paint job done though as well.

Don't worry, Iplay is a good vendor, Peter will get you the frame as soon as he can.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ponderosa

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
Thanks CD,   I guess thats another reason I got concerned.. I always got responses from him so fast, but I havn't been able to get contact from him in over a month..

I think this bike is set up like a lot of the ones I see here, people trying to get 90% of the way towards a top of the line bike, but at 50-60% of the cost of a XX1 or XTR bike.   It seems that shaving the last few grams is what nukes the budget.   Also a goal on this one is to have a fairly light bike but also rugged, thus 35mm wheels (probably overkill) and revelation fork.  I'm really excited about not truing wheels!

CD's bike and this one below were inspiration.   Everything is 3K Matt finish, easy to match for a bike being pieced together, and possibly doesn't scream "hey, I'm an expensive bike" to any thieves.  Anyone got any 'Huffy' or 'Murray' stickers?   Otherwise, I really like the idea of flaunting some red chinese dragon's or something:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:26:10 AM by ponderosa »

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Please don't worry, Peter told me last week his wife is pregnant and he need to take care of his wife and that takes time and got higher priority. Please understand that. But you can also contact Jason or Bert if you can't wait. They're also available on skype.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
Yep, that picture of an IP-036 is similar to the others that helped me decide to build mine.  I mean, an ALL Carbon FS 29er (including carbon wheels) with XT/XTR and/or XX1 components costs upwards of $10k from any of the big name brands.  My build was under $4k and I got everything I wanted down to dual lockout on the suspension and Geax Suguaro tubeless tires (tires best suited to the terrain I ride).  So I think you really can't go wrong.

One nice thing about going 1x is not having a front derailleur means one less thing to correctly spec out, install, and adjust.

Glad to see others are seeing the different Chiner builds and how that gives them courage to do a custom build themselves. 

Congrats Ponderosa, look forward to seeing pictures of your build when it's done.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

ponderosa

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
"upwards of $10k from any of the big name brands.  My build was under $4k an"          I stand corrected. I had a few hookups on parts, so I'm somewhere between $3200 to $3500 and feel I'll have a bike that rides 95% as good as any big name 8 to 10K$ bike.  Add to that that I got to spec/design the bike, its an all out win.  I'm sure some big name bike companies are taking notice.  I did feel bad not getting this at a local shop where the guys have been flat out awesome, I'll find other ways to support them.  In the end, I need the best bike I can put together for the money and this was it by a long shot.

CD, thanks for putting the tips together for building the bikes, it'll come in real handy when building this up.

ponderosa

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »
I did get contact with Peter, we're working on seeing if/when I can still get the bike i ordered back in October.

ponderosa

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:34:44 AM »
Just a public service announcement..   In talking to Peter the last couple days, he let me know that they are able to send out UD carbon frames (which is what most of their frames are done in) much faster than 3K carbon frames (which I ordered).   I stuck with 3K and Peter is committed to getting the frame shipped by Jan. 15th will be a few days shy of 3 months after payment.  I'm frustrated by the delay, but Peter has been fairly responsive.

So if you need the bike within a month or two, go UD. 

I stuck with 3K because my wheels/handle bar were done in 3K.  My vanity/OCD, whatever you want to call it, has secured me some bonus lessons in patience!

325racer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:17 AM »
I did 3k gloss on my 057, I lucked out Peter had one available, so I sent a deposit until I had money to cover the rest of my order.  I ended up getting it within a month of initial discussion/deposit.

But, I would have waited longer because the 3k is the only way to go in my mind.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »
My IP-057 is UD gloss and while nice, I prefer the 3k gloss weave that I have on my IP-036.  It just looks more finished.  Now if I were going to paint the entire frame anyway, go UD since you won't see the finish layer of carbon anyway.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

ponderosa

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
"Please don't worry, Peter told me last week his wife is pregnant and he need to take care of his wife and that takes time and got higher priority. Please understand that. But you can also contact Jason or Bert if you can't wait. They're also available on skype. "

Oh, just saw this post from above..  Definitely going to extend some grace for that, just had my third in Oct.   Congrats Peter!

He let confirmed a couple days ago on skype, its going to ship by Jan 15!

Andy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Congrats Ponderosa on the new baby and on your new frame to be shipped in a few days!
Andy
IP036
LTK023

ponderosa

Its here
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 09:30:28 PM »
Peter's revised ETA for the frame came through, actually it arrived a day or 2 before he said it would and he sent the tracking code to me.   Thanks Peter!

Not sure if this is on all 3K weave frames, but some of my joints are in UD carbon.  Not a big deal as the 3k fade to solid black at the bottom bracket actually looks pretty cool.  Matte finish 3K frame, bars, rims looks rad and I'm sure won't come through in pics very well.  Started building last night and couldn't stop, it was so much fun to be a 5 yr old at Christmas building a good bike. The only think better than this bike, is a wife who encourages me to buy/build it.  (Guess she might get a more fit husband out of it..)   Fotos tomorrow when the sun comes up.   It was a middle/upper end build and came in at 28lbs.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »
It seems that shaving the last few grams is what nukes the budget.   

This exactly. Figure out the point of diminishing returns and you'll have a top of the line ride for a reasonable price.

Looking forward to the pics! Especially the weave fade to black joint areas - sounds pretty sweet looking, imo

brucevilanch

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »
Seeing as this thread is pretty active, I'm going to ask here. How exactly do you buy a frame from xmiplay? I'm wanting to buy the ip-036, but I'm not seeing anyway to do so. Do I just have to skype or email them?

Awesome forum, by the way. I'll be a lot more active once I start my build.  :)