Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 31716 times)

jardo0o

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2024, 01:49:46 AM »
Maybe it will help you to decide, I own one pair of Elitewheels ENT rim brake version with 4k kilometers and no issue, so I decided to order lighter EDGE model for VB. In my opinion ENT hub sound is nicer, but weight of EDGEs wins.

dank_ganks

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2024, 11:26:12 AM »
I'm also doing a 105 Di2 close-out build - split my order up into 3 orders at TPC so I could use 3 $50 off $200 codes, and ended up with a full 105 groupset for ~$450

Wheels-wise, I bought a set of UNI 50/65 (front/rear) wheels from Leon at Yuanan (https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4617.0.html) - haven't ridden on them but they're really nice looking/feeling wheels and he was super great to work with. The price was absolutely right, and the wheels are lighter than my existing Cannondale Hollowgram 35s and shipped with tubeless rim tape and valves. IIRC Yuanan is the manufacturer for EliteWheels

Serge_K

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2024, 01:36:24 PM »
I'm also doing a 105 Di2 close-out build - split my order up into 3 orders at TPC so I could use 3 $50 off $200 codes, and ended up with a full 105 groupset for ~$450

A FULL Di2 group for $450? That's much less than an L-TWOO eR9 group (where you have to add chain cassete and crank). That's insane value! I paid 400+ shipping for my er9, so came out 455$ shipped, 135$ for carbon cranks that I dont trust (already broke 1 arm), 22$ per chain, and 40-50$ for c.230g cassettes. And it's pretty much impossible to get any of this materially cheaper (except the eR9 that's cheaper now). That's 657$...

Although i guess a close out sale is a function of lucky timing, and living with crank & k7 sizes you may not really want. Still, crazy deal, well done.

dank_ganks

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2024, 01:28:55 PM »
I did end up having to buy the battery separately, and ended up with 175mm cranks when I wanted 172.5... but I might swap those for a magene P505 anyways.

Finished building up the bike this weekend! Feels great to ride although I do need to do some more dialing in of the brakes.  Came out to 8.43 kg which was a little more than I hoped for but I'm still super happy with. Did end up needing to drill a hole in the FD cable passthrough to fit the Di2 cables through.

What i've noticed so far:
  • Cable routing, especially through the bars, was much easier than I expected! Would hate to do a mech build in this bike though.
  • I've never ridden a bike with carbon bars - I was super surprised by how compliant they are, especially gripping the hoods. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
  • Seems like there isn't enough fiber grip in the world to keep this seat level - I smeared it all over the inside of the seatpost and cranked on the clamping bolt as tight as I felt comfortable, but it still tips around (as you can see in the photo)
  • Rear Di2 cable REALLY wants to go into the gears - right now I have it taped down to the frame with some electrical tape but I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for that?

Overall I'm super happy with the bike and loving VB's "ice break" paint job!

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2024, 06:32:59 PM »
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. I SPREAD EVERYTHING WITH CARBON FIBER PASTE AND TIGHTEN UP TO 17 NEWTONS BUT THE THREAD WAS DAMAGED.
THEN I REALIZED THAT THE PARTS AND THAT AREA OF THE POST ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM SO I REMOVED ALL THE PASTE, CLEANED IT WITH DEGREASER AND TIGHTENED IT AGAIN WITH ANOTHER PROVISIONAL SCREW TO 15 NEWTONS. AT THE MOMENT THE SADDLE HAS NOT BEEN LOOSENED AGAIN, I HAVE ALSO ORDERED THE TITANIUM SCREW. REALLY ALL THE HARDWARE THEY SEND IS OF VERY POOR QUALITY.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:34:41 PM by rga19071976@gmail.com »

dank_ganks

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2024, 07:40:21 PM »
I'll have to give that a try. I was also noticing that my front thru-axle had come undone a bit on my test ride... but might be user error of insufficent torque.

Serge_K

« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2024, 11:58:52 AM »
Recap having read the whole thread, so far, there are recurring problems with rear thru axles threads that dont work, which make the bikes unusable.
Everybody seems to hate the Mavic thru axle system and nobody understands why that's being used.
The seatpost slips despite using massive torque & carbon paste. USUALLY, people report slipping seatposts because they tighten to 5-6nm, when this bolt is usually supposed to be tightened much more. Routinely up to 12nm. FWIW, my long teng frame says 12nm on the seatpost clamp. I would be very concerned to go above that number though, so people here saying they're tightening to 15, i hope it's on the direct instruction of VB, because if that area cracks, you can bin the frame. I cracked a carbon crank arm 2 weeks ago at 6-7nm. Carbon that explodes is not a pleasant experience, as it's an instant write off.
Earlier versions didn't have a hole at the bottom of the frame for water to drain out, but this seems fixed now, and easy fix anyway. One or 2 instances of bars missing an exit hole for the housing - easy fix.

Bottom line: feels very beta still. Loose thru axles, poor threads on thru axles, slipping seatposts basically means you can't ride the bike. For seatposts, presumably, you can shim some aluminium from a can to create friction. For the TA, i have no solution and i'd be very unhappy.

Edit. At least 4 users report problems with the TA / TA area:
Thegoods
Benbenben
Deanoden
Easyfunk

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:46:04 AM by Serge_K »

Easyfunk

« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2024, 12:22:53 PM »
I do not share your recap of this thread. Especially the saddle clamp (not the seatpost clamp) is no deal when done right. Through axles are a problem, that's true, and I'm still waiting for the replacement

hazzer19

« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2024, 02:16:47 PM »
Same. Almost no issues with mine with an early frame (I think, no hole in the BB area). I haven't had issues with the axles, just getting used to having them in the right place to take the wheels out, primarily the back, the front one is easier.

I had one instance of the saddle tilting down but hasn't happened again since I applied more torque. No issues with the seat post slipping. No issues with holes in the bars either. Overall still very happy with how it's performing so far.

dank_ganks

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2024, 03:54:27 PM »
Also no issues with seatpost slippage, just with the saddle tilt. Thru axles are definitely not ideal though.

Nice looking bike, hazzer!!

patliean1

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2024, 07:24:49 AM »
I have a 268 frameset coming my way next week, once paint is completed. The color is sick!
Looking forward to seeing what VB has been up to lately.

SRAM Force eTap 1x
Nepest Maui 45 Wheels (1282g)
Prime Bike Carbon Aero Bars
Bucklos 3D Printed Saddle

That’s the plan at least…

Takiyaki

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2024, 08:07:01 AM »
hazzer where did you even come up with the idea for that paint job. So cool

Cnasta

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2024, 09:52:24 AM »
I have a 268 frameset coming my way next week, once paint is completed. The color is sick!

SRAM Force eTap 1x

Really looking forward to your review/opinions/paintjob.

Also, haven't heard of those wheels. Wondering whether they are worth € 500,00 over Elite Edge wheels in 50mm (just a small weight penalty, but a lot of extra money).
Same goes for the sadles, which seems heavier than the Ryet one. Any reason to go this route other than "because I can" (which is a good answer as well :) )

Tdiguy

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2024, 03:39:08 PM »

SRAM Force eTap 1x

Can’t wait for this build up and review.  I’ve been waiting for these build ups and video reviews before making my purchase.

patliean1

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2024, 08:51:11 AM »
Really looking forward to your review/opinions/paintjob.

Also, haven't heard of those wheels. Wondering whether they are worth € 500,00 over Elite Edge wheels in 50mm (just a small weight penalty, but a lot of extra money).
Same goes for the sadles, which seems heavier than the Ryet one. Any reason to go this route other than "because I can" (which is a good answer as well :) )

My previous two VeloBuild road builds I used both Elite Drive 45D (no longer in production) and FarSports EVO 4. While the Drive 45D are light, I didn't find them particularly stiff. The EVO 4s are stiff but still use 19mm internal rims which I have long moved away from. Nepest as a brand do a lot of things right. The fit/finish of the wheels and road dynamics feel very much OEM as expected. To me they feel closer to FarSports than Elite Drive.

Now regarding saddles, I don't like the shape nor length of the Ryet saddle. I've had great success both indoors and outdoors with my Bucklos saddles, and it's only 30g heavier than my S-Works Power saddle.

I'm not really going for a full weight weenie build with the 268. But I do suspect this build to give both my Tavelo and Giant Propel a run for their money in the weight department. We should be looking at 7.0-7.1kg without pedals/power meter/computer mount.