Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 75386 times)

pavlo.k

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2024, 07:49:04 AM »
Urg, still waiting for mine as well. Not a good outlook ...
Might have to get the SL7 clamps, too, as my arse is getting sore.

I also had the headset coming loose. I put some lock tite on but it seems to still get loose. Did you find a more permanent solution for this or are you just re-tightening after every ride?

what exactly get's loose? once you preload the bearing and clamp the stem it  should hold even without the top cap.
An issue I've had with different bikes is incorrectly "expanded" expander plug. sometimes it expands only on one side which creates very little friction even though it seems like the plug is tight.
What I now do with every build is lightly grease the "cones" on the plug and pre-expand it so that it just fits inside the steering tube and only then install it.

JerenK

« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2024, 08:57:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

My VBR 268 glossy grey is in transit and also my elite wheel 55mm wheels

Quistion: What could be headache to build this bike?
What kind of problems can i aspect?

Im going for a SRAM RIVAL ETAP AXS group.

Will put down some pictures asap.

RasmusWH

« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2024, 01:19:28 PM »
Hey Guys,

My VBR 268 glossy grey is in transit and also my elite wheel 55mm wheels

Quistion: What could be headache to build this bike?
What kind of problems can i aspect?

Im going for a SRAM RIVAL ETAP AXS group.

Will put down some pictures asap.

I didn't have any headaches with the build, but you might consider buying af longer headset extender plug.  Cable routing was inproblematic and facing of the brake caliber mounting to the frame seems good as well. Remember to buy rubber grommets for the cable exit ports as they are not included.

2Burgen

« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2024, 06:14:42 AM »
Sine I ordered mine in orange-blue-fade yesterday, what gromets are needed for a Di2 build?

RasmusWH

« Reply #334 on: July 05, 2024, 01:54:33 PM »
Sine I ordered mine in orange-blue-fade yesterday, what gromets are needed for a Di2 build?

I bought these for the rear Di2-cable, they fit nicely. I didn't find some that fit perfectly for the front derailleur Di2-cable.

SillyMochi

« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2024, 10:52:44 AM »
So my frame arrived today. Well packed and undamaged. Took about 5 weeks from order placement and 14 days from shipment notification to delivery. Not super fast but not super slow either.

[...]

Looking forward to building it up in the next days. Unfortunately, still waiting for the chainrings to arrive, so full build will have to wait until ~end of next week.

I know it's been awhile, since I promised pictures of the completed build ...

Last week I finally received another package from velobuild. First, I was a bit worried as the package said "bicycle rear hanger" and I know they have them as spare parts as well. But inside were actually the correct 7x9mm saddle rail clamps that were missing. Then I had to wait for better weather since this summer just doesn't really want to start here but well I finally went for a longer ride today and took some pictures as well. Unfortunately, there were still some wet patches on the road here and there, so I gathered a bit of dirt on the frame; just kindly ignore that :D

Really happy with the overall build and ride feeling. Aggressive enough for my riding, a bit of aero, and not too heavy either. The bike weights in at around 7.6kg and my full "ride-ready" weight (pedals, computer mount, bottle holder) is around 8kg. Considering I went with 2x 11-34 for hilly terrain and a built-in power meter, I think that's not too bad.

A few notes and remarks after ~400km of riding the bike:
  • The saddle rails came lose a few times; just enough for the saddle to tilt. I gave the threads a bit of medium thread lock and so far it seems to hold. Time will tell if it remains like that.
  • My headset developed some play quite quickly. I first though it might be the longer compression plug I got cheap from AE and installed the one that came with the frame. Same story though. Might need to tighten the handlebar stem bolts more than the recommendation ...
  • Stiffness is fine in general. I noticed that when I put more torque through the pedals (hard riding up hill, maybe ~1000W), my disc brakes rub a bit. I suspect the frame is just bending a little bit "too much" under that power and my rather high weight of 90kg that it deforms so much the calipers are rubbing just a little bit from side to side movement of the frame while I push the pedals hard. Since I'm currently not able to do real sprints due to injury, I cannot comment if that might become an issue down the line once I recovered. Will observe.
Not concerning the frame but just some general notes about the build:
  • Magene Powermeter just works. Install was effortless and so was the setup. Can recommend.
  • Pass Quest 2x aero chainrings fit the look&feel of the Magene very well. Not sure how many aero gains those chainrings actually offer (not that it would matter to my riding at all) but I just like the clean and "closed-up" look of them.
  • Goldix 12s Ultralight cassette: works fine in general but takes some time to shift from smallest to 2nd smallest cog. Other shifts are quick and easy (so indexing is correct) but that last one just does not want to down shift. Also my favorite gears (5-8) are a bit more noisy than the others. Especially when I'm in the big ring at the front. Not sure why though. Maybe it just needs a fresh wax after ~400km. Will have to observe.

PS: just the other day, another rider chased after me as I passed him just to admire the bike ("What a nice looking bike!"). Wanted to know what brand it is and where I got it from :D

pearl

« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2024, 11:11:09 AM »
Patty we need a 268 vs SL8 comparison!

BeR

« Reply #337 on: July 09, 2024, 01:07:13 PM »
Patty we need a 268 vs SL8 comparison!

Let me guess :
1) SL8
2) Propel
3) 268

pearl

« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2024, 02:40:56 PM »
Which makes sense due to the pricing, but at what cost? Are you really getting $2000+ more of a bike?

patliean1

« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2024, 03:09:15 PM »
A more entertaining question would be...

Which customer base is more insufferable?: Chinertown or Specialized?

Serge_K

« Reply #340 on: July 09, 2024, 03:20:30 PM »
That sounds pretty condescending.
Pearl's question is absolutely valid, as far as i'm concerned.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

patliean1

« Reply #341 on: July 09, 2024, 04:08:45 PM »
That sounds pretty condescending.
Pearl's question is absolutely valid, as far as i'm concerned.

It wasn't meant to be condescending at all if we understand how both sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek works LoL. Especially considering I have no record of instigating on this forum, let alone my fair share of contributions over the years.

Your comment highlights why a 268/SL8 comparison video isn't a great idea. Both brands have a cult-like following on the extreme sides of budgets. Particularly with VeloBuild and Specialized, I've seen customers on each side believe their bike purchase is virtuous in some odd way. Like a strange pissing contest of virtue signaling. The battle of financial savviness versus brand cache.

My opinions on both the 268 and SL8 are purely subjective and a projection of my own experiences. But any criticism toward either brand will incite each customer base to attack my character as a YouTube reviewer. Criticism to push the conversation forward is always welcomed. Criticism in bad faith or so simply because one doesn't "like" my opinion is a waste of everyone's time. I just don't think we need confirmation bias from YouTubers.

So the real question which needs to be asked is: What are we really looking to gain (or lose) by such comparisons? This is a serious question. I'm happy to help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 04:10:33 PM by patliean1 »

Sakizashi

« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2024, 09:08:50 PM »
So the real question which needs to be asked is: What are we really looking to gain (or lose) by such comparisons? This is a serious question. I'm happy to help.

Not being a youtuber and being able to throw in a perspective from the peanut gallery, one of the biggest problems is that the percieved value of $1 is also different to different people. I think a more interesting question is what does the extra $$$$ get you on the Specialized that you don't get with the VBR. Followed that by a look at what the the price gap actually represent in bike terms (e.g., upgrade groupset, upgraded wheels etc.) and then whether or not you would rather ride the the cheaper frame with the more expensive components or the more expensive frame with cheaper ones. You could look at this in tiers (i.e., apex mechanical to force 1x and then force to red).

I had all intentions of building up a cheap gravelish bike for commuting and a little cross racing, but my plans have changed too and I probably wont be buying an unbranded frame anytime soon, probably for reasons similar to why you got the specialized.

BAcy

« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2024, 05:44:27 AM »
This gap between headtube cover and spacers is normal?

SillyMochi

« Reply #344 on: July 10, 2024, 05:55:43 AM »
No, mine sits completely flush. Maybe the holes aren't completely drilled out to allow for the "nipple" to sit properly? If that's the case, a small round file might solve the problem quickly.