Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 75285 times)

jes2k13

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #420 on: August 22, 2024, 02:57:04 PM »
Trying to catch up on all my messages. As good practice with budget frames, I always use expander plugs from the brand called "Neco" which can be found on Amazon for like $13-$20. Length large, aluminium or carbon top cap. Not the lightest plug ever but no slippage. Especially if you plan to run spacers above the stem

Yo how patty welcome boys and girls, love your videos man I’m a subscriber by the way.
You mentioned in your first ride initial impressions that you are hearing a creaking sound somewhere on the frame, is there an upcoming follow up video on that?

Is the seatpost stable and not slipping out of the box or did you applied some vinyl plastic on it?

Really like last year’s video where you presented your 3 bike fleet the allez sprint, t1500, and the yoeleo, I have a guy that’s local to me selling a t1500 but am torn about the price vs this vbr 268. That extra 1000 bucks can be spent on other essential parts of the bike. Is 599 inclusive of a custom paint? Needing it in just pearl white finish without branding.

Saludos amigo Patty! Cuidate mi Pana!

patliean1

« Reply #421 on: August 25, 2024, 06:38:20 PM »
Yo how patty welcome boys and girls, love your videos man I’m a subscriber by the way.
You mentioned in your first ride initial impressions that you are hearing a creaking sound somewhere on the frame, is there an upcoming follow up video on that?

Is the seatpost stable and not slipping out of the box or did you applied some vinyl plastic on it?

Really like last year’s video where you presented your 3 bike fleet the allez sprint, t1500, and the yoeleo, I have a guy that’s local to me selling a t1500 but am torn about the price vs this vbr 268. That extra 1000 bucks can be spent on other essential parts of the bike. Is 599 inclusive of a custom paint? Needing it in just pearl white finish without branding.

Saludos amigo Patty! Cuidate mi Pana!

Ayyyye thanks for the support! My Velobuild bikes and the support of the members here have a been a tremendous help for the channel.

I was able to fix the creak by doing two things:

1. Increased the torque of the seatpost clamp from 6nm to about 7.5nm

2. I changed saddles. The included saddle rail clamps to accommodate 7x9 saddles are flawed. VeloBuild is aware. Using the 7x7 clamps instead along with 7x7 metal rail saddle fixed the issue.

Painting on the VB 268 like $50-$80 extra. If you can get the Winspace T1500 for $1000 then it's worth it. Otherwise yeah use the money for some nice wheels. I really love the Magene Exar Ultra/Dark wheels at the price point.

SillyMochi

« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2024, 09:54:32 AM »
Last week on my way home from a ~100k ride, I noticed that the FD wasn't upshifting anymore. At a traffic stop, I reached for it to check if something came loose. And for sure it did. The whole thing was wobbling around quite a bit. Luckily, I was almost home and could ride on the small ring without any major issue.

At closer inspection at home, I realized that not the FD mounting bolt, that I initially had suspected, came loose but one of the screws that hold the mounting boss to the frame. Just by chance the FD casing was blocking the screw from falling out completely otherwise I'm pretty sure I would have lost it. I removed the FD to get access to it, and screwed both in with some medium lock tight. Hoping they won't come loose again.

I still have the issue that my headset comes loose even when tightening it down properly. I redid it a couple of times now and initially everything is fine. After around 30-40k it would come loose again - probably from the vibrations of the road and the occasional lowered manhole covers you have to ride over. I checked the expander plug and it sits snug and tight. I also applied 6nm to the steerer bolts (up from the recommended 5nm) in hopes that would help it. I think it held on a little longer but not much. Anyone else has another idea of what to try?

patliean1

« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2024, 10:37:26 AM »

I always use an aftermarket expander plug on all my budget framesets. The included ones have a tendency to be troublesome. Neco Headset Expander and Top Cap from Amazon in a large length works wonders. Not just to prevent expander plug slipping, but for more tension area inside of the steer tube for the steerer bolts to tighten against. The expander plug really should extend beyond the length of the bottom two steerer bolts.

Also inspect to ensure the initial setup of the expander plug is recessed around 4-6mm below the stem/steerer before installing the top cap. It could be a case of not enough clearance for proper top cap preload.

SillyMochi

« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2024, 03:44:47 AM »
I really don't think it's the compression plugs fault. Yes, the included one isn't top quality and it's not the longest - but still long enough to extend beyond both bolts. It also sits absolutely snug, does not move or turn, and also did not slip upwards as I had happened with another plug.

I cut the fork short about 2-3mm, so there is enough room for initial compression. 4-6mm sounds a bit excessive, never heard anyone cut that much (on purpose :D ). Pre-loading works without an issue; another reason why I don't think the plug is at fault. I can tighten the bearings beyond reason; I could go so hard that the fork will barely move anymore (was just for a test, so don't worry).

Jnewman

« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2024, 11:27:38 AM »
Hi guys,

Got a 268 on order - hopefully arriving soon! Have been running the 086-D for the past 3 years and have done 10,000km on it. Slipping seatpost seems to have been the only issue but good enough to persuade me to buy another VB frame.

I've noticed this frame comes with the Mavic Speed Release system (whyyyyy???) and was wondering if these can be replaced with standard thru-axles, obviously with the correct matching thread? I will be using this bike on and off the turbo this winter and it sounds like a bit of a faff with this system unless you buy a replacement set. On that note - are there any UK distributors of matching axles I can order before it turns up?

I've also ordered an SL7 replica expander plug, and will be running SRAM AXS parts that are on my current build. Any other suggestions of things I should puchase/know before building the bike?

Thanks in advance :D

Tdiguy

« Reply #426 on: August 29, 2024, 01:32:08 PM »
Long time lurker first time build here. Ordered a 54 gloss white frame w the 38/100 integrated bars a few weeks ago.

Looking to run 105 DI2 as I picked up during a sale last year.

Has anyone made a direct mount hanger like a few did for the 168 frame?

RasmusWH

« Reply #427 on: August 29, 2024, 02:39:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Got a 268 on order - hopefully arriving soon! Have been running the 086-D for the past 3 years and have done 10,000km on it. Slipping seatpost seems to have been the only issue but good enough to persuade me to buy another VB frame.

I've noticed this frame comes with the Mavic Speed Release system (whyyyyy???) and was wondering if these can be replaced with standard thru-axles, obviously with the correct matching thread? I will be using this bike on and off the turbo this winter and it sounds like a bit of a faff with this system unless you buy a replacement set. On that note - are there any UK distributors of matching axles I can order before it turns up?

I've also ordered an SL7 replica expander plug, and will be running SRAM AXS parts that are on my current build. Any other suggestions of things I should puchase/know before building the bike?

Thanks in advance :D

I was also frustrated with the SpeedRelease system. To be fair I works fine, but makes absolutely no sense when we already got a nice working industry standard. I almost bought an 168 just of this reason. If the threads line up with normal TA's I can't se why a normal 12 mm axle wouldn't fit. Maybe you can just order another set Speedrelease-axles from Velobuild? I built two 268's, could only fit a SL7-expander plug in one of the frames, as it was way way to tight in one of the frames and almost got completely stuck in the steerer tube, so fitted a traditional 80 mm Pro expander in that particular bike - instead of the 30 mm included. Be aware that the carbon rail specific seat clamps only fit up to 9 mm "high" rails, my Ryet carbon saddle (Pro Stealth II knock off) had 11 mm high rails that I had to file down. You might need som Di2 grommets for the cable exit ports on the frame. Cheers

jes2k13

« Reply #428 on: August 30, 2024, 05:18:28 AM »
Ayyyye thanks for the support! My Velobuild bikes and the support of the members here have a been a tremendous help for the channel.

I was able to fix the creak by doing two things:

1. Increased the torque of the seatpost clamp from 6nm to about 7.5nm

2. I changed saddles. The included saddle rail clamps to accommodate 7x9 saddles are flawed. VeloBuild is aware. Using the 7x7 clamps instead along with 7x7 metal rail saddle fixed the issue.

Painting on the VB 268 like $50-$80 extra. If you can get the Winspace T1500 for $1000 then it's worth it. Otherwise yeah use the money for some nice wheels. I really love the Magene Exar Ultra/Dark wheels at the price point.

Sheesh thanks for your service Pat on all these videos you churning out man!

Finally placed my order today, hoping to the shipping gods that it will arrive before a race that I will be attending on the 21st of September jeez!

How many weeks have you guys received yours? I opted to go just the stock matte black and would probably repaint it next year or so in order to save shipping times

Got the NECO Large headset expander as well, props to you again Pat!

Keep the videos coming! ordered a 53-39 Crankset, an equally pancake flat that is Abu Dhabi comparable to Chi-town.

Lovin all those RnB in between references as well

Lastly, PAT do you ever recommend those Ceramic BB86 from Aliexpress?

Nkearb

« Reply #429 on: August 31, 2024, 04:42:04 PM »
Welp I've tried everything to fix headset play from a slipping expander plug. Tried carbon grip paste, then Neco large headset expander, and then cutting the stem a few more mm. Nothing has stopped the headset from coming loose after about an hour into a ride. Even tried overtorquing the expander plug and it still will slip. Think this thing is a lost cause at this point.1

SillyMochi

« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2024, 05:06:59 PM »
Is it your expander plug that's slipping or the steerer bolts that don't hold in place?

Nkearb

« Reply #431 on: August 31, 2024, 05:11:30 PM »
Is it your expander plug that's slipping or the steerer bolts that don't hold in place?

The expander plug without a doubt is rising up and leading to the loose headset

SillyMochi

« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2024, 05:16:33 PM »
Yeah if that's the case then your issue definitely comes from that. Mine isn't rising and I'm pretty sure it's not turning either. So I guess we have different issues leading to the same outcome.

s3si1u

« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2024, 12:21:26 AM »
The expander plug without a doubt is rising up and leading to the loose headset
I've tried the Neco expanders and tons them to be of very low quality. On my last Velobuild, I had good luck getting rid of headset play with a different compression ring. Eventually, I switched the entire cockpit to The One Pro and never had any issues with it.
Instagram: @aerosloth

SillyMochi

« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2024, 06:05:03 AM »
Which VB bike was that? If they fit the 268 as well, I might consider changing the cockpit if that fixes it for good.