Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 72452 times)

Tijoe

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #375 on: August 15, 2024, 10:58:26 AM »
This groupset is trash. You'd be stupid to buy it over a complete 105 di2 groupset.
That is a harsh statement.  Do you own a EDS TX kit?   Even with the small issues I have had to date, I am enjoying the heck out of the EDS TX.   (Since I purchased mine on sale before the prices started going up,  for the price I paid, it blows away di2 and SRAM.)

Above being written,  Wheeltop is now advertising a retail price that is about $200 over what its true value is compared to SCRAM and Scumano equivalent groups.   They need to get their service together and stop forcing consumers who purchase THEIR product from an "unauthorized reseller"  and solve their problems with their quirky APP and other random electro/mechanical problems that are popping up. 

erallen30

« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2024, 12:02:36 PM »
That is a harsh statement.  Do you own a EDS TX kit?   Even with the small issues I have had to date, I am enjoying the heck out of the EDS TX.   (Since I purchased mine on sale before the prices started going up,  for the price I paid, it blows away di2 and SRAM.)

Above being written,  Wheeltop is now advertising a retail price that is about $200 over what its true value is compared to SCRAM and Scumano equivalent groups.   They need to get their service together and stop forcing consumers who purchase THEIR product from an "unauthorized reseller"  and solve their problems with their quirky APP and other random electro/mechanical problems that are popping up.

You can buy complete 105 di2 group sets on sale now for $1200. You can even get full Ultegra for $1500. You won't even be able to assemble a decent wheel top + rest of groupset for that money. it makes no sense to buy it. It is both more expensive and inferior in performance. When one of the Chinese brands releases a FULL groupset for $1000 or less that is of adequate quality then we are talking serious competition. Until that happens they will not penetrate the market in a serious way.

jonathanf2

« Reply #377 on: August 15, 2024, 12:12:15 PM »
You can buy complete 105 di2 group sets on sale now for $1200. You can even get full Ultegra for $1500. You won't even be able to assemble a decent wheel top + rest of groupset for that money. it makes no sense to buy it. It is both more expensive and inferior in performance. When one of the Chinese brands releases a FULL groupset for $1000 or less that is of adequate quality then we are talking serious competition. Until that happens they will not penetrate the market in a serious way.

Cool story bro.  ::)

kbernstein

« Reply #378 on: August 15, 2024, 12:46:45 PM »
full 105 di2 is often under 1000€ on german sites and i've seen it as low as 800€ even on ali. i agree they should really knock the prices if they want to make damage

erallen30

« Reply #379 on: August 15, 2024, 01:31:37 PM »
Cool story bro.  ::)

Just in case you weren't aware

Tijoe

« Reply #380 on: August 15, 2024, 01:52:27 PM »
From my perspective:

This is the list of parts on my gravel bike equivalent to the Ultegra R8170 Groupo.   This combo cost me less than Scumano, weighs significantly less. (I spent more than I would have had to by installing 48T, 32T rings instead of 34T, 50T.)     I agree 100% that the current asking prices for the EDS TX is silly money compared to DI2 or SRAM offerings.
OTOH, we will see what sale prices are during the 11-11 sale.   - I want to purchase another EDS TX for my road bike.

EDS TX kit - $515
Raceface Next R SL - E-bay sale $199.00
Race face spider - $25
Race Face bottom bracket - $45
Chainrings -   48T, 32T   $50
KMC 12 speed chain - $32
ZTTO Ultralight cassette -12 spd  -$85
Rotors - 180 front 160 rear - $30

Total  $981

erallen30

« Reply #381 on: August 15, 2024, 03:33:35 PM »
From my perspective:

This is the list of parts on my gravel bike equivalent to the Ultegra R8170 Groupo.   This combo cost me less than Scumano, weighs significantly less. (I spent more than I would have had to by installing 48T, 32T rings instead of 34T, 50T.)     I agree 100% that the current asking prices for the EDS TX is silly money compared to DI2 or SRAM offerings.
OTOH, we will see what sale prices are during the 11-11 sale.   - I want to purchase another EDS TX for my road bike.

EDS TX kit - $515
Raceface Next R SL - E-bay sale $199.00
Race face spider - $25
Race Face bottom bracket - $45
Chainrings -   48T, 32T   $50
KMC 12 speed chain - $32
ZTTO Ultralight cassette -12 spd  -$85
Rotors - 180 front 160 rear - $30

Total  $981

But then I'm assuming the difference is much less when you combine shipping costs for shipping all those individual components from different retailers?

I think the big breakthrough in groupsets will come when one of the Chinese players can sell a quality FULL groupset. Until that happens, my advice to anyone would be to save your hard-earned money and buy a di2 105 full grupo. Current partial groupsets are just some shit from Toys R' Us at this point.

Serge_K

« Reply #382 on: August 15, 2024, 03:51:01 PM »
Do the shifters rattle? I've now seen several videos of people complaining that on rougher roads, the shifters rattle.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Tijoe

« Reply #383 on: August 15, 2024, 04:07:14 PM »
But then I'm assuming the difference is much less when you combine shipping costs for shipping all those individual components from different retailers?

I think the big breakthrough in groupsets will come when one of the Chinese players can sell a quality FULL groupset. Until that happens, my advice to anyone would be to save your hard-earned money and buy a di2 105 full grupo. Current partial groupsets are just some shit from Toys R' Us at this point.

Prices listed are total costs and include shipping and/or most of what I purchase from Aliexpress always has FREE shipping!   
My Raceface Cranks came from Jenson USA with free shipping. 

Di2 shifting sucks because of having to deal with the stupid battery pack.  I hate extra wires!  That kills the Scumano product for me.  The Wheeltop product should be compared to SRAM rather than Scumano anyways.   Wireless, and batteries connected directly to the devices.

Tijoe

« Reply #384 on: August 15, 2024, 04:18:39 PM »
Do the shifters rattle? I've now seen several videos of people complaining that on rougher roads, the shifters rattle.

My shifters do not rattle.  My levers are quite and mine are used on a gravel bike ridden a lot on single-track and rough gravel roads where the bike is beat to death.  The only lever issue I had was in the spring wearing long fingered gloves, the paddles are sometimes difficult on rough terrain without contacting both of them. 

stumpjumper8

« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2024, 05:05:18 PM »
This groupset is trash. You'd be stupid to buy it over a complete 105 di2 groupset.

I got an original Cervelo S2 and it is an amazing bike.  The only problem is the rear shifting due to the frame design (bad cable path).  My dream has always been to put SRAM wireless shifting on it but at this point, that's not a realistic option.  All I needed was to swap out the FD, RD, and shifters... and along came WheelTop with the exact solution.  Got $125 CAD discount on AliExpress and bought the groupset for $618 CAD (free shipping and didn't pay a cent for duties). 

It has been perfect (everything has already been documented) but pretty damn close.  IMHO, anyone with rim brake bike should consider this upgrade option.  The only negative is the slight weight increase since I'd swapped out SRAM Red shifters and Force derailleurs.  From my experience, don't see how it's trash or it is stupid to buy over a complete 105 di2 groupset that doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 05:09:54 PM by stumpjumper8 »

stumpjumper8

« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2024, 05:08:46 PM »

I've rim brake version.  When riding, never heard any noise from the shifters.  I've got them turned in A LOT and 99% of the time, I'm grabbing them in aero position.  Not sure if that prevents any rattling.

Linsook

« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2024, 05:52:54 PM »
If my fingers/hands don't have some sort of contact with the shifters, they would rattle over bumpy terrain.  You can test it by lifting up the front of your bike a few inches off the ground and dropping it.  Not a deal breaker but it's there.

A rare occurrence for me as I would typically have my fingers on the shifters ready to brake on rough patches.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 05:55:43 PM by Linsook »

kvnp

« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2024, 11:36:14 PM »
Hi,

I have a 50-34t Shimano R7100 crankset and a 11-34 (12S) cassette.

Is anyone who uses the same configuration as mine, would be kind enough to share the value of the indexing gears ?

I have been trying for hours but I can't figure out the suitable values in order to prevent any unusual sound and have a smooth gear transition.

Cheers !

RoadieMKD

« Reply #389 on: August 16, 2024, 12:37:31 AM »
Hi,

I have a 50-34t Shimano R7100 crankset and a 11-34 (12S) cassette.

Is anyone who uses the same configuration as mine, would be kind enough to share the value of the indexing gears ?

I have been trying for hours but I can't figure out the suitable values in order to prevent any unusual sound and have a smooth gear transition.

Cheers !

Not sure that this is the place for this, but let's have a go. For start, use the official indexing guide by Shimano located in the app and that will guide you through the process. If by unusual sound you mean clicking between 21t and 19t cogs I'm afraid that is unavoidable as 7100, 8100 and by some users 9100 cassettes are faulty and the gap between 21 and 19 is visually smaller and noticeable and that throws off shifting down the line. I am using r8100 groupset and that was driving me crazy. The remedy was to shim the space between the designated cogs by 0.1mm, easily done on 11-30 cassette as they are on separate spiders, but not sure for 11-34 as they might be on the same spider. Some say that KMC DLC 12s chain did the trick. Other option is to get the updated 7101/8101 cassette as Shimano was aware of the issue but never really recalled the faulty cassette and silently pushed the updated version. Third party cassettes are also an option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v = y4jk2HMzTkE  (remove space on both sides of the "=" sign)

Under this video you will find some useful tips.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 12:39:44 AM by RoadieMKD »