Author Topic: TT/Tri groupset options?  (Read 389 times)

TT/Tri groupset options?
« on: January 27, 2024, 02:03:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

Looking at the groupset options for a tri bike.

I'm a little surprised Ltwoo and Sensah don't have any bar end options for either mech or electronic shifting. What other options do I have if I were to piece together a tri bike?

I've been out of the hobby for a number of years, and I feel like 10-15 years ago there was a greater range of entry level triathlon bikes whereas now it seems all high end. This seems relevant in having very limited options for bar end shifters where 105 has nlno provisions for satellite shifters.

Has anyone built a cheapy trip bike? Or is entirely 2nd hand seemingly my only option unless I spend $5k+ AUD

Cheers

nickobec

Re: TT/Tri groupset options?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 07:49:11 AM »
Microshift do a range  of bar end shifters from 9 to 12 speed. The 12 speed are only compatible with either Shimano or SRAM  MTB RDs. You can get 9,10 and 11  speed shifters compatible with Shimano Road (which means Shimano, Microshift and some Sensah RDs).

10 years ago when I raced TTs, my  TT bike need repairs, instead of stripping the 10 speed DA  group set off it, I used a 2x10 Microshift groupset on a spare road frame, and raced that for a season. The Microshift groupset was a light as DA and I found as reliable to use.

So as long as you are happy with mechanical shifting, you can get a cheap, reliable and light shifting set up.

Brakes, hydraulic TRPs TT HD-T910 will set you back 600AUD or so. Rim brakes are far cheaper, lighter and more aero and would be my choice depending on frame options.

Re: TT/Tri groupset options?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 11:27:29 PM »
Amazing, thank you so much for all that info!

I can't believe there's next to no options for TT disc brakes. The shift to discs is such a shame.

Building up a rim brake TT bike, while cost effective and practical, leaves me with hesitation considering parts
Cheers