Author Topic: New frame: Longteng RD301-D  (Read 18282 times)

Tsunami

Re: New frame: Longteng RD301-D
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2024, 07:54:39 AM »
I found a frame from tantan cycling, which seems identical with RD301-D.
http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1146

So this frame seems open mold frame..

Nice find! Maybe they can provide large frames, unlike Longteng...

Serge_K

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2024, 11:26:21 AM »
I found a frame from tantan cycling, which seems identical with RD301-D.

So this frame seems open mold frame..

The 268 is definitely open mould, so it would make sense the 301 is as well. Probably also explains why the frames are much cheaper than the likes of Lightcarbon, for example.

Edit: i just received an email from Tantan (I forgot i'm on their mailing list somehow) advertising their version of this frame today (Sep 20th, 2024).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2024, 04:46:27 AM by Serge_K »
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

kwantani

« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2024, 04:37:44 PM »
Try to understand more on this "open mold"...

Q: One mold share by many factories? in this case the same mold used by LongTeng and TanTan? or same mold, same factory makes same frame, putting different labels?

Q: Who own the mold? multiple ownerships? How does the arrangement works if it's shared?

Hillhater

« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2024, 07:08:22 PM »
Try to understand more on this "open mold"...

Q: One mold share by many factories? in this case the same mold used by LongTeng and TanTan? or same mold, same factory makes same frame, putting different labels?

Q: Who own the mold? multiple ownerships? How does the arrangement works if it's shared?

From my understanding, open mold means open for every factories - bought the mold(or design) from a frame design company. So it can be considered LongTeng and TanTan use identical mold (or mold's design) made form same frame design company.

INSVNX

« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2024, 04:46:48 PM »
I plan to buy the RD301 too. So far contact with Alisa has been great and she is very helpful. Here are some of the photos of their show bike (size 52). Nothing special but it's cool to see how the fully asembled frame looks like. I think it looks really good!

Another interesting thing that I found... On one of the photos, you can see (top right) the frame from Ribble? I did not know, that they are producing frames for Ribble, I've only heard about Argon.

Hillhater

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2024, 07:09:11 AM »
Hi, this is my first post on this website.

I am considering buying this frame and have already had a discussion with Alisa (LT Bike manager).

Everything seems good, but I didn't get a picture of the fork from her, which I need to decide whether to choose FSA ACR or SMR.

Alisa said its headset supports FSA's ACR but didn't clearly state whether it supports SMR or not.

As for me, I prefer to use semi-integrated routing (SMR system) due to my handlebar bag, which requires a round tube handlebar. Also, SMR is easier for maintenance.

So, could anyone share a picture of the fork to find out if it supports SMR?

You can check out the difference between ACR and SMR from the attached file—whether the front hydraulic hose comes from the fork's tube (ACR) or from a hole in the fork (SMR).

P.S. I think the most similar big-brand frame with this one is cervelo soloist.
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=66cc79bd7a85dc001b8dba12,638b574ffd9930001c384c91,&builds=66d2879b155f46001bbe75dc,,

Among the pictures of tantancycling FM301, I found SMR-like routing.

So, if those frames are same one, it means RC301-D also support semi internal routing..

maza

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2024, 08:07:12 AM »

So, if those frames are same one, it means RC301-D also support semi internal routing..
Support for semi internal routing is not really a feature of the frame. Just buy semi internal routed stem, spacers and headset accessories and you're good to go.

« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2024, 11:42:09 AM »
With regards to that picture with the gravel tires, I don’t think that’s the same frame as the LT 301D. It’s missing the Trek-like ridge on the head tube and it looks like it has a round seat post. I noticed that when I visited the TanTan website and 301 listing. But Maza is right. I’m wondering if we could ask the Longteng rep for the semi internally routed headset/spacers or just purchase them ourselves.

jeffrey

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2024, 02:46:05 PM »
Attaching the geometry table that TanTan sent me, matching the Longteng one.

Quoted at
FM301:1set/529usd (include:frame/fork/seatpost/handlebar/spacer)
Headsets:1set/10USD
Thur axle:1pair/20USD
Above is the quotation of black matte.

If you need other colors,
one color:90USD.
Shipping to Italy:150USD.
+5% paypal fees

kwantani

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2024, 03:15:19 PM »
I think moving forward 2025 and beyond this LT/Tantan will be the common platform for the "all road" genre.

jeffrey

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2024, 04:11:13 PM »
This is really intriguing as a low-cost upgrade to my Triban, I already have carbon wheels and a few other parts that I'd like to carry over.
What groupset would you suggest for such a build?
I recently bought some hybrid calipers from ZRace/Onirii, so it would be nice to have cable pulling levers to make use of those.

Hillhater

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2024, 07:47:23 PM »
I think moving forward 2025 and beyond this LT/Tantan will be the common platform for the "all road" genre.

Regarding 'all road' genre with the frame, it reminded me of the youtube with the post below - and makes me think about the relationship between Ribble and LT bikes:
https://youtu.be/f54R-QxLjvM?si=LigXQFmskOAMKpXF
(From 00:00 to 35:27)

I plan to buy the RD301 too. So far contact with Alisa has been great and she is very helpful. Here are some of the photos of their show bike (size 52). Nothing special but it's cool to see how the fully asembled frame looks like. I think it looks really good!

Another interesting thing that I found... On one of the photos, you can see (top right) the frame from Ribble? I did not know, that they are producing frames for Ribble, I've only heard about Argon.

And, the geometry comparison of the two frames(RD301-D and Ribble allroad sl r which is mentioned in the youtube) is also preeeeetty intersting - fork geometry looks almost same.
https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=66cc79bd7a85dc001b8dba12,66a7a6c2aa2eff001a7b207b,

INSVNX

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2024, 02:46:56 AM »
Longteng might be producing frames for Ribble. At first when I saw the photo I thought, that maybe one client just wanted to add a Ribble decal for some reason, who knows? After some time I wanted to check the frame again and then something clicked - I'm still not sure but that's just my theory. Why would they keep the clients frame in their showroom? My bet is - they could be a OEM for Ribble, or they worked with Ribble at one point. Looking at that Ribble frame from photo I sent it might be older project (not fully internal routed, strange looking fork etc.). The fork looks very similar to one on my Romet Huragan DISC 2023. For a fact I know, that Romet also works with Chinese OEM to get frames, I just could not find who it may be... It could be Longteng.

Alisa provided me with enough info about the frame, now it's time to sit and wait for some reviews since I'm debating between RD301, LC LCR017 and Hygge Model S since it's now EPS.

Also as a fun fact, Massi is using the same frame for their Arrow model as Romet for Huragan model  ;)

https://www.massi.bike/en/etiqueta-producte/arrow-race-gb/

Serge_K

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2024, 03:47:01 AM »
Longteng might be producing frames for Ribble. My bet is - they could be a OEM for Ribble, or they worked with Ribble at one point.

Alisa provided me with enough info about the frame, now it's time to sit and wait for some reviews since I'm debating between RD301, LC LCR017 and Hygge Model S since it's now EPS.

Long teng is a factory, unlike the likes of Hygge or Velobuild, so given you've seen their marketing budget is zero, they ARE an OEM. Question is: who do they OEM for? Also bear in mind that bike brands change models over time, and could also outsource production of the same model to different factories, over time, or for scale (you may need several factories to produce a given frame at a given point in time).
We know that LT OEMs / has OEMed for Argon 18. They never did their TT bikes, because i asked, so road frames only.
I wouldnt be surprised that Ribble would work with them at all.
There are various reports on this forum that Winow OEMs for Hygge, so i'd say, if you want a Hygge, go to Winow direct.
Personal experience: i built 2 LT and 2 Winow in parallel. I recommend LT more than Winow. A general feeling of superior quality from LT, and, specifically, when i installed the PF bbs in the frames, i had constant / consistent resistance on the LT frames, much (much) less so on Winow. And in fact, my crankset spins on my LT so freely, it puts to shame the Winow. Now as i've written on the forum before, with my eyes closed, i m not sure i could tell the bikes apart (i used the same components on all 4 bikes), and my friends are happy with their bikes. But given the brain damage involved with receiving a frame that is "problematic", and the cost of shipping things back and forth, i've been recommending LT, and not Winow.
Also: dealing with LT (Alisa) > dealing with Winow (Terry). Alisa responds to emails, while Terry can ghost you for days if he considers himself to be "busy" or not in the mood. Man vs woman? Cultural? Idk, i dont care. What i know is i'd rather give my money to LT.

On the 301 and LC 17, the tyre clearance and vibe of the bikes are pretty different. Hygge is not on my radar, starting with the ugly paintjobs. Hygge would have to pay me to ride a frame that says Hygge on it. Would be like somehow having to ride a bike that says wallmart on it and be expected to be psyched about it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 03:49:15 AM by Serge_K »
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.