Author Topic: Who can I work with to design a carbon fork?  (Read 217 times)

Machine

Who can I work with to design a carbon fork?
« on: June 20, 2024, 03:14:09 PM »
Basically what I want doesn’t exist or barely exists but is super expensive from a western brand. I want a Boost, flat mount, gravel fork with a ~400 A2C measurement, and clearance for 2.4” tire for a custom Ti frame I’m designing. There is the Curve Seek fork with 430mm A2C and the Bearclaw Ramhorn Boost fork with 41mm A2C, but both are over $600 USD. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who works with clients to design a custom carbon fork? Or perhaps knows who makes the Bearclaw or Curve forks? Thanks.

00Garza

Re: Who can I work with to design a carbon fork?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 03:59:00 PM »
I highly doubt a custom fork will be cheaper than those options. Just the cost of the mould is incredibly high, let alone the engineering and production cost.

rockerplates.de

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 11:46:48 PM »
Basically what I want doesn’t exist or barely exists but is super expensive from a western brand. I want a Boost, flat mount, gravel fork with a ~400 A2C measurement, and clearance for 2.4” tire for a custom Ti frame I’m designing. There is the Curve Seek fork with 430mm A2C and the Bearclaw Ramhorn Boost fork with 41mm A2C, but both are over $600 USD. Does anyone know of a manufacturer who works with clients to design a custom carbon fork? Or perhaps knows who makes the Bearclaw or Curve forks? Thanks.
well, i would contact all the factories and distributors..maybe you will find one...they currently struggle with quantities. better time to ask would be winter, as currenlty is kind of "high" season.
it will be expensive anyway, the hard thing is to make them believe you are a bigger company and would like to prototype something and higher quantities will come later, but it will still be expensive.
Or tell them, they can use it as an open mould for their own bikes?

Sakizashi

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 10:18:37 AM »

I would contact Speeder Cycling to see if they could help you. However, I would expect the min cost of a project like this to be $2-$3k + cost of prototypes + testing which is extra if you want independent destructive testing if its an adaptation of an existing design. $5-$6k + those other costs if its a new design.

Source: the "bikedoc" narrow road handlebars on aliexpress were made in response to an RFP i put out. After I abandoned the project because of the cost of insurance, independent testing etc. making the business case seem rough, Synergy (the company behind the brand) contacted me and said they wanted to make a road bar based on the design brief anyway. I did some review of their design. I am full of regrets. Their product is great and they were great. I don't think they make forks though.