Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

New Light Carbon LCSF980 XC bike

<< < (5/6) > >>

baarsan:
Yea this is really disappointing, i was about to order a frame but im glad i didnt have the time to do so yet. Have you talked to LC about the issues? If so what have they said?

repoman:

--- Quote from: baarsan on September 11, 2024, 05:07:49 AM ---Yea this is really disappointing, i was about to order a frame but im glad i didnt have the time to do so yet. Have you talked to LC about the issues? If so what have they said?

--- End quote ---

Yes, apparently the handlebar is fine and should be like that. The cross section does look very solid and the threads in there are not loose or anything, just looks sort of weird.   

The main part that sucks is the bottom bracket threading...but at least with that there is enough meat in there to recut the threads since it is slightly undersized. I'm not really sure how it was even achievable since they said the BB is cut by hand, not on a lathe. I would have thought it was done on a lathe since the main defect was that the threads were full of chatter and not deep enough indicating a worn threading insert...I don't think a tap would do that...maybe the guy was mistaken?   I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make these BBs, just buy them from a supplier and stick them in the frame when being constructed...they should have a dude with a thread go no-go gauge checking them before they are used.   
Still waiting on the wheelset I bought from them so I'll post again when the bike is full built. 
The 'road headset' I thought was road is actually for this bike, just full internal. It does have a lot of spacers and there is only one for the semi-internal headset, I can use normal round spacers with the semi-internal but it looks aesthetically bad since the headset and provided spacer have a unique profile.   

Routing was pretty easy, there are internal housing lines in the rear triangle.

baarsan:
Ok, good the handlebar is ok :) but still kind of hasitent to place an order for the frame. What is LC saying about your issues? Any compensation?

repoman:

Ok, finally got it built up and running (wheels were stuck in US customs for like 9 days).

I've never mountain biked before (If I don't count the Trek 930 I had when I was like 12 years old in the 90s that's I'd use on mostly smooth hiking paths, I've never ridden any technical stuff really save a couple times of doing cyclocross and some class 4 roads on my gravel bike that I'd usually have to hike-a-bike on) so I don't really have any worthwhile input other than the bike is fun.
There's a very good trail system about 0.5 mile from my house (which is why I built a MTB...I figured I was wasting opportunity and I get bored of gravel biking in the late summer) with a bunch of green, blue and black trails.
I just rode about 9 miles on dirt roads to see if the bike would fall apart. I was surprised at how slow pedaling a long on a MTB is (the tires I got for it probably are super slow rolling since I went with a really aggressive tread and super sticky compound), also shocked at how fast I could descend poor dirt roads, it just felt immediately natural to bomb over every feature I have to take caution with on my gravel bike. 
Rode it up to the trail system, played around with what sort of rocks I could plow over and was surprised again at just how good modern suspension is...rocks that were proud of the road surface about 4 inches I could just run right into at speed and hardly feel anything.  Took it on a green trail that had a ton of roots, rocks and switch backs, was a ton of fun on uphill rooty/rocky sections.

Bigbobby1482:

--- Quote from: repoman on September 18, 2024, 05:04:19 PM --- 

Ok, finally got it built up and running (wheels were stuck in US customs for like 9 days).

I've never mountain biked before (If I don't count the Trek 930 I had when I was like 12 years old in the 90s that's I'd use on mostly smooth hiking paths, I've never ridden any technical stuff really save a couple times of doing cyclocross and some class 4 roads on my gravel bike that I'd usually have to hike-a-bike on) so I don't really have any worthwhile input other than the bike is fun.
There's a very good trail system about 0.5 mile from my house (which is why I built a MTB...I figured I was wasting opportunity and I get bored of gravel biking in the late summer) with a bunch of green, blue and black trails.
I just rode about 9 miles on dirt roads to see if the bike would fall apart. I was surprised at how slow pedaling a long on a MTB is (the tires I got for it probably are super slow rolling since I went with a really aggressive tread and super sticky compound), also shocked at how fast I could descend poor dirt roads, it just felt immediately natural to bomb over every feature I have to take caution with on my gravel bike. 
Rode it up to the trail system, played around with what sort of rocks I could plow over and was surprised again at just how good modern suspension is...rocks that were proud of the road surface about 4 inches I could just run right into at speed and hardly feel anything.  Took it on a green trail that had a ton of roots, rocks and switch backs, was a ton of fun on uphill rooty/rocky sections.

--- End quote ---

Wow finally someone with the Lexon carbon crank for mtb. I've been eyeing that one, how is the quality and was there any problems? I've been hesistant on buying it, so keen to know how well it works. How bad was the bb it came with?

Also on tires, it's way to common for mtb'ers to "overtire" most people really don't need the DH crazy knobby tires for their trails, unless they're really really steep ect or super technical. For flow tracks knobby tires doesn't really do much.

Most of the time an XC tires which is nearly half the weight and rolling resistance are plenty sufficient. I ride black trails no problems with Maxxis rekon race in both front and back in 2.4. I came from maxxis dissector and rekon, and didn't feel much difference in grip tbh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version