Author Topic: Gravelbike for road and gravel rides  (Read 1504 times)

BiDi_T4

Gravelbike for road and gravel rides
« on: August 20, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a new gravelbike.
I want to ride it on 60% road and 40% light gravel.
I am 187cm tall with 88cm inside leg length.
These are my preferred specs:
- Threaded bottom bracket
- min. tire clearance: 42mm (i probably want to ride two wheelsets, one with a 32mm tire for road only and one with ~40mm for gravel) So i think a bike with really big tire clearance looks stupid with the 32mm tires.
- 2x11 GRX (mechanical) should be possible

My current favourite is the TanTan GR029

Another favourite would be Spcycle G058 but i think the bike is not aggressive enough. Maybe the G068 is a better option?
I really like a design without dropped seatstays, but i am open for other frames!

Can you give me any other suggestion? What are your thougts about my picks?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 04:35:28 PM by BiDi_T4 »

dsveddy

Re: Gravelbike for road and gravel rides
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 11:12:40 AM »
If you're willing to spend a little more, the ICAN Graro seems to hit all your marks

BiDi_T4

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 11:46:44 AM »
If you're willing to spend a little more, the ICAN Graro seems to hit all your marks
But this frame would be about double the price of the other two Frames mentioned.
Do you think my picks are bad? Or do you have only good experience with ican?

dsveddy

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 12:51:14 PM »
But this frame would be about double the price of the other two Frames mentioned.
Do you think my picks are bad? Or do you have only good experience with ican?

The Spcycle options have pretty big clearance so if you're worried about them looking dumb with road tires, you'll want something with less clearance

The GR029 is a pretty good pick all-around if you want a straightforward frame. The cables won't be fully integrated, unlike pretty much all the other choices, maybe that's a plus or a minus, depending on if you're building up with a wireless groupset, and how much you value serviceability vs modern aesthetics.

I'll add that the GR029 is basically a cyclocross bike. It's the same mold as the Flyxii FE-806. There's even some elite American cyclocross teams in Boston using them. It's going to have a tall BB and steep head tube relative to other gravel bikes. Maybe that's a good thing if you want it to handle like a road bike, though.

I personally like ICAN's products, and the Graro is a more modern frame with more modern geometry for gravel. But it really should come down to what suits your needs.

neobiker

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 04:02:10 PM »
Did you check lightcarbon LCG072-D? It can double down as an endurance bike and as a gravel bike. 42mm clearance.

BiDi_T4

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2024, 04:33:59 PM »
Did you check lightcarbon LCG072-D? It can double down as an endurance bike and as a gravel bike. 42mm clearance.
Thanks! But i dont like the look of it because of the really low seatstays.
Right now the GR029 is still my favourite.
Clearance wise I think i can live with a big tire clearance, even with road tires on the bike.

ChrisB

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 04:36:43 PM »
How about a Wind GT20 or GT30?
Both available now with T47 BB.

I am using the GT20 as my commuting bike with 1x12 setup and love it also on tarmac.
Fully integrated handlebar is optional.

Here the link to the original thread with some build information:
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3552.0.html

BR Chris

BiDi_T4

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2024, 04:53:49 PM »
How about a Wind GT20 or GT30?
The GT30 is basically the Spcycle g058 that i mentioned above, right? Do you have any experience with this frame?
The GT20 looks really good and is a bit more "racey" than the GT30 I think. EDIT: This frame is also sold by spcycle (SP-G20)
Did you buy it direct from Ali?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 04:59:31 PM by BiDi_T4 »

JalopnikGo

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2024, 10:03:20 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you as well. Currently considering a few options for road/gravel.
  • Winspace G2
  • Ican Graro
  • Ican X-Gravel 2

Currently leaning towards X-Gravel 2 due to the price & overall simpler setup vs Graro/G2. However, the Graro does look nice & has UDH built in as well.
The only downside for me is it's aero seatpost. Wonder if my concern with its proprietary aero seatpost is overblown?

BiDi_T4

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2024, 01:59:33 AM »
The only downside for me is it's aero seatpost. Wonder if my concern with its proprietary aero seatpost is overblown?
Thanks for your Input!
I would also go for a standard seatpost.
Normally nothing will ever happen, but if it does happen you have quite a big Problem.

jfcb

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2024, 03:21:18 AM »
I'm riding the Carbonda 505SL, mainly gravel, but it's very suitable for road riding as well.
Besides being a superlight frameset in XL (1020gr), it's stiff and feels responsive in the corners like an endurance road bike.
Concerning your requirements:
  • T47 bottom bracket
  • officially 42mm tire clearance, but 45mm fit as well
  • Integrated cabling, but mech shifting possible

BiDi_T4

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2024, 04:56:40 AM »
Is the 505SL still available? I can not find it on their page?
How much did you pay for it?

JalopnikGo

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2024, 05:04:12 AM »
I'm reading through the posts in this forum as well. The Spcycle G056 looks very interesting. It's much cheaper vs Ican.

Do you guys think it's a better option vs buying X-Gravel 2?

raisinberry777

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2024, 05:22:44 AM »
The same frame as the 056 is available from Cecotti on AliExpress a bit cheaper:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKNZkdO

Ludo

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2024, 05:54:46 AM »
I'm reading through the posts in this forum as well. The Spcycle G056 looks very interesting. It's much cheaper vs Ican.

Do you guys think it's a better option vs buying X-Gravel 2?

I just ordered mineā€¦