Author Topic: Hydraulic brake line options  (Read 853 times)

Confused

Hydraulic brake line options
« on: September 03, 2024, 09:23:24 PM »
Any feedback on the multi-layer hydraulic brake line? EZMTB has kevlar wrapped with either a plastic exterior or braided stainless one. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805662322492.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 09:31:12 PM by Confused »

kbernstein

Re: Hydraulic brake line options
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 01:34:31 AM »
Price seems a little steep. FWIW I've got this one on the front https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005666418109.html
I paid $2.62 including BH90 fittings and it works great
Pretty sure "4 layers of kevlar" is just marketing

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 08:29:41 AM »
As long as it's oil tight, why would you need kevlar in these things? Compressionless housing for cable actuated brakes, that makes a lot of sense, but hydraulic doesnt benefit from that, does it?
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
It can to some extend. In the car racing world, all brake lines are breaded hose rather than rubber, because you want all the brake pressure you apply to push the pistons and not being absorbed by the expansion of a rubber hose.
I am not sure really how much of that translate to bike brake given than the fluid pressure is a lot less I think.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 07:39:48 PM by Ludo »

Confused

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 04:24:32 PM »
As long as it's oil tight, why would you need kevlar in these things? Compressionless housing for cable actuated brakes, that makes a lot of sense, but hydraulic doesnt benefit from that, does it?

I have some other housing Risk or Muqzi branded that looks like just a few layers with a stiff outer plastic tube for the strength. Sponginess is notable, especially on rear brake. Shimano and other name brand tubes tend to have some sort of better woven layer and more flexible outside coating.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 07:26:33 AM by Confused »

rovescio

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 11:59:15 PM »
I bought some unbranded BH90 type hose and it had a woven layer too.

Serge_K

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 02:36:06 AM »
I have some other housing Risk or Muqzi branded that looks like just the plastic tube. Sponginess is notable, especially on rear brake. Shimano and other name brand tubes tend to have some sort of woven layer.

Ah, that's interesting, and might explain why my rear brake feels worse now. I changed my cockpit a few weeks ago, swapped the rear hose, and the rear brake is now noticeably worse. I used some no name chinese housing. I thought i bled it wrong and maybe contaminated something (let's be honest, could also be both).
Never heard before that the hose itself could matter for oil.
Well then, if that link above has kevlar and still only costs 2.6$...
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Ludo

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 06:10:28 AM »
Looking a bit more into it the pressure generated in bike hydraulic brake are very similar to car stuff, so yes, hose deformation can play a role in brake feel.
I can get my rear brake to feel as good, as crisp as my front, it may be why indeed

nicklej

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2024, 03:09:02 AM »
I got some of that EZMTB braided hose on my XTR brakes. Arrived quick, looks good on my bike and works great. I had damaged my rear line so thought I may as well do both brakes plus the braided look is much more appealing to my eye. I also recommend the EZMTB bleed kit, comes with loads of attachments and is quality. I use it in my own bike workshop.