Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Removing stuck crank arm

(1/3) > >>

Ludo:
Well, I wanted to take the crankset out to give everything a good clean after the morning ride and and the drive crank arm that is supposed to be removable is stuck on solid.
I backed the bolt head some and give him a few wack with rubber mallet, it’s no budging one bit, any less destructive method I can use?
The cariste was removed 2-3 weeks ago, with no issue, not sure what created that situation

Wet Noodle:
Depends on the type of crank. Let me consult my crystal ball ...
(Don't whack it, if you have no idea what you're doing.)

Do you really remove your cranks every few weeks just to clean your bike?

Ludo:
Not usually but I wanted to remove it because last time I greased the preload screw and that was a big mistake as it catching a lot of dirt  so I wanted to take it of to clean it.
Last time I took it off to change chainring ;)

All that being said, the 2-3 previous removal went without any issues, but not this time

jonathanf2:

--- Quote from: Ludo on September 07, 2024, 03:23:07 PM ---Well, I wanted to take the crankset out to give everything a good clean after the morning ride and and the drive crank arm that is supposed to be removable is stuck on solid.
I backed the bolt head some and give him a few wack with rubber mallet, it’s no budging one bit, any less destructive method I can use?
The cariste was removed 2-3 weeks ago, with no issue, not sure what created that situation

--- End quote ---

Is it a newer crankset for a PF or threaded bottom bracket? I would presume it'd easily come off. Did you lightly grease the axle before installation? Is it totally stuck or were you able to wedge it through the BB, but it own't move from the inside?

Ludo:
The arm on drive side is supposed to slide if of spindle easy, it did so on previous removal. This time I had torqued the set screw at the max recommended to try and fight a creaking sound, seems that it locked the arm on the spindle

Thinking of using a pulley puller but I need to find a bold to put in spindle to push against or maybe the bolt with the 8mm bit on it and push against that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version