Author Topic: Tideace/Seraph/TanTan/Haideli/Winow AM831 150mm frame - where are we now?  (Read 444 times)

stirl73

Hi all,

New to the forum, so be nice!  ;)

I've spent literally weeks trawling through old posts back to 2019 discussing the various Chinese 150mm FS Trail/Enduro frame options. I want modern geometry, as I'd like a good allrounder that climbs as well as it descends, and hence like the look of the Carbonda FM1002 and the LightCarbon LCFS947, but they are both over 2750g in size L, and I'm looking to build a lightweight Weight Weenie 150/150mm Trail bike, around 10kg without pedals, so every gram counts.

Hence looking at the AM831 frame, as it weighs about 300g less. It looks nice, but after reading about all the issue with frame flex and link and pivot issues since 2020, I wondered if these design issues had been ironed out in subsequent iterations, or if the frame is still inherently flawed?

Also - does anyone know if there is there a reason why the FS/FM830 frame has such little discussion? It offers 160mm rear travel, has modern geo and only weighs around 2250g in size Large. This frame is sold by many of the regular Chinese sellers (Tideace, TopFire, Mira, TanTan etc) yet has next to no discussion on here? Anyone know anything, 'cause on paper this looks like the perfect option even if the kink in the top tube isn't my favourite looking design. This is the one I'm talking about:

http://www.mira-factory.com/Product/detail/id/31.html

Look forward to any replies.

Mart.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 01:28:53 PM by stirl73 »

stirl73

Re: Tideace/Seraph/TanTan/Haideli/Winow AM831 150mm frame - where are we now?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 04:38:50 AM »
112 views and no comments!??  ;)

Come on ladies, someone must have some insight or an opinion?   ???

Cheers,

Mart.

Confused

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 07:16:39 AM »
The issues with the Haideli/Tideace AM831 frame seem largely sorted after the upgraded rear triangle was released. The company's refusal to even provide discounted replacements to the purchasers of the first frames left many people with a "wait and see" attitude for future frames that the company releases. No one wants to be a guinea pig and pay for the privilege.

Having said all of that, I have one and am in general happy with the frame. If buying again I would watch for the big coupon sales on AliX and use that to buy.

The four drawbacks:

-press in BB (can use a thread together press-in)
-no UDH
-some 2.4 tires don't fit on rear, sizes smaller than L may have fork knobs hitting the down tube if not using an extended crown race
-coil shock unlikely to fit

veeTee1Pah

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »
There was more interest in inexpensive Chinese carbon frames during COVID when demand and prices for bikes were so high. Since the bike market crashed, and there are many more discounted new and used options, the cost / benefit ratio of these types of frames have dwindled or disappeared. If you realistically budget solid, proven parts, the savings over a currently discounted or used established brand are often modest at best.

Many people have unrealistic expectations about inexpensive Chinese carbon full suspension "all mountain" bike frames. For sure, they can be an adventure to assemble and fun to ride, but frustrating problems and surprises are probably more common than people expect. Fork crowns that hit the frame, suspension that gets stuck in the compressed position, or even rear triangles that can't be ridden as designed are examples. Consider what that says about the design and testing culture these frames come from. Unsurprisingly, kinematics and details like weather sealing are often inferior to name brands even when the frame is a "copy" of a well-known branded frame.

In my opinion, open mold, inexpensive Chinese frames are great for people who like a challenge and like solving problems. I don't think a 10kg 150/150mm all mountain bike is realistic.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 02:10:44 PM by veeTee1Pah »

Boybiskit

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 03:32:33 PM »
There was more interest in inexpensive Chinese carbon frames during COVID when demand and prices for bikes were so high. Since the bike market crashed, and there are many more discounted new and used options, the cost / benefit ratio of these types of frames have dwindled or disappeared. If you realistically budget solid, proven parts, the savings over a currently discounted or used established brand are often modest at best.

Many people have unrealistic expectations about inexpensive Chinese carbon full suspension "all mountain" bike frames. For sure, they can be an adventure to assemble and fun to ride, but frustrating problems and surprises are probably more common than people expect. Fork crowns that hit the frame, suspension that gets stuck in the compressed position, or even rear triangles that can't be ridden as designed are examples. Consider what that says about the design and testing culture these frames come from. Unsurprisingly, kinematics and details like weather sealing are often inferior to name brands even when the frame is a "copy" of a well-known branded frame.

In my opinion, open mold, inexpensive Chinese frames are great for people who like a challenge and like solving problems. I don't think a 10kg 150/150mm all mountain bike is realistic.

^^ This.
- post-pandemic I feel like these frames are a great project but the interest has died down, especially as there are so many deals elsewhere. I love them, but they're not for everyone. This is probably why you're not seeing much about the FM830.
- The Carbonda fm1002 is tough to beat. It is well proven that it can take a hammering and rides very well. Worth the small weight penalty, in my opinion... but you may find the same catalogue frame as a complete bike on discount elsewhere
- If you want a light, good value 150 / 150 bike you might find something like a 2nd hand previous generation Scott Genius a good option. 10kg sounds too light for a 150mm bike though